The books you couldn't live without!

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
jennybug

The books you couldn't live without!

Post by jennybug »

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before :D Just wondering what are your favourite books or authors? Maybe the one you bought first, or the one that changed your understanding of the your practice, or maybe one you just connect with more than others? :flyingwitch:
TwilightDancer

Re: The books you couldn't live without!

Post by TwilightDancer »

Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft
Silver Ravenwolf's Book of Shadows for the Solitary Witch

My two absolute favorite books on the craft.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

jennybug wrote:Sorry if this topic has been brought up before :D Just wondering what are your favourite books or authors? Maybe the one you bought first, or the one that changed your understanding of the your practice, or maybe one you just connect with more than others? :flyingwitch:
It depends on what topic we are talking about. I have a few books I prefer for magical practices, some for the spirituality and religious aspects, and others for cultural practices. I read and research basically everything I do before I start to actually use the practices.

Christopher Penczak is one of my favorite authors. His Temple series is really good.
jennybug

Post by jennybug »

TwilightDancer wrote:Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft
Silver Ravenwolf's Book of Shadows for the Solitary Witch

My two absolute favorite books on the craft.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
I love Silver Ravenwolf :) Going amazon shopping soon, might pick up Raymond Bucklands one :)
jennybug

Post by jennybug »

loona wynd wrote:
jennybug wrote:Sorry if this topic has been brought up before :D Just wondering what are your favourite books or authors? Maybe the one you bought first, or the one that changed your understanding of the your practice, or maybe one you just connect with more than others? :flyingwitch:
It depends on what topic we are talking about. I have a few books I prefer for magical practices, some for the spirituality and religious aspects, and others for cultural practices. I read and research basically everything I do before I start to actually use the practices.

Christopher Penczak is one of my favorite authors. His Temple series is really good.

Sorry I wasn't more specific! :D I suppose I was talking about a broad spectrum. So much is done on the internet these days, but I just adore the feel of a real book! loveface
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

jennybug wrote: Sorry I wasn't more specific! :D I suppose I was talking about a broad spectrum. So much is done on the internet these days, but I just adore the feel of a real book! loveface
I'm with you on that. Its actually easier for me to list authors I avoid or wouldn't recommended than it is books I couldn't live without. So I'm going to give you both. I'll start with my favorites both general and specific and then list authors I personally avoid.

Here are some of my favorite books in general:

Well when it comes to prayers my favorite book was: Wiccan Way by Rae Beth (Hedge witches Way in the UK)
For overall training the Temple series by Chris Penczak (Inner, Outer, Shamanic, High and Living vol 1&2) is great especially combined with the CD companions.
Bucklands Complete book of witchcraft is good, but I personally preferred his Wicca for one
Cunningham's Wicca for the solitary practitioner and Living Wicca

For Traditional Witchcraft:

Witchcing Way of the Hollow Hill-Robin Artisson
Hedge Rider Eric De Vreies
Grimoire of Modern Cunningfolk- Peter Paddon

Magical Practices:

True Magick-By Amber K
Earth Power & Earth Air Fire and Water by Scott Cunningham
Green Magic-Moura

British Traditional Wicca:

What Witches Do-Stewart Farrar
A Witches Bible-Stewart Farrar
Progressive Witchcraft-Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone
Witchcraft Today-Gerald Gardner

Authors I avoid:

Silver Ravenwolf
Edain McCoy
D.J. Conway
jennybug

Post by jennybug »

Oh fascinating! I see a lot of people avoid Silver Ravenwolf although one of my first books was by her and I still reference it today. Progressive Witchcraft is one of my favourites at the moment. Took me a while to get my head around it though :D
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

jennybug wrote:Oh fascinating! I see a lot of people avoid Silver Ravenwolf although one of my first books was by her and I still reference it today. Progressive Witchcraft is one of my favourites at the moment. Took me a while to get my head around it though :D
She was my first author as well. However after reading more materials I just don't care for how in Teen Witch she encourages teens to go behind their parents backs and practice through lies. Doesn't sit well with me now.
jennybug

Post by jennybug »

Ah yes I do understand that! Sometimes when I look back at it now there are some things I don't agree with, but I do like some of her other stuff. I pick and choose :D
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

jennybug wrote:Ah yes I do understand that! Sometimes when I look back at it now there are some things I don't agree with, but I do like some of her other stuff. I pick and choose :D
When it came to the magical aspects (like the correspondances) and the like she was amazing. The spells and rituals were very useful. Her voice in general though at times made me feel like she was talking down to her readers. There is some useful information in her books. I will agree with that. I wont stop anyone from reading any author or book as I feel there is something useful in basically all books out there. I will tell some one why I dont prefer to recommend or advise a specific author. It seems like you have a good head on your shoulders in that regards.
jennybug

Post by jennybug »

Thank you! I'm glad you can explain both sides, why you like some and not others. Some people can be very rigid when it comes to these things. Anyway I've just put in an order on amazon there thanks to some of your suggestions :D
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I re-read a lot of my Scott Cunningham's books
I alternate between Christopher Penczak and Deborah Lipp's books
I admit I have Silver Ravenwolf's BOS, it was one of my first books
and I do refer to it now and then when I cannot find something
in my other book I can find in it now and then.
I've heard DJ Conway just re-hash other books by others.
I found this one awfully dry- A Witches Bible-Stewart Farrar
I'd imagine others would like it, just not me.
This is all I can think of right now...you can always come
over and look at my library !
Gentle Light
:flyingwitch:
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Just as a quick aside, I know that the topic of Silver Ravenwolf's writing can be contentious. I don't want to lose sight of the thread's original purpose (book recommendations), so if you want to discuss Silver Ravenwolf's books more in depth, I'd recommend posting on the thread, "What Are Your Opinions on Silver RavenWolf's Books?"

Okay, aside over. Carry on!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
jennybug

Post by jennybug »

Must have a look at that thread! Thank you Xiao :)
Zili

Post by Zili »

Spiritual related: Secretes of Shamanism
Broad Spectrum: Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Eat Pray Love

Return to “F.A.Q.”