Why dont advanced witches cast spells to make them rich?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Farore

Why dont advanced witches cast spells to make them rich?

Post by Farore »

My fiance is heading home from Minnesota tomorrow. Its an 11 hour drive and he's been gone for a long time working. I was Wiccan a long time ago, but stopped because of my family. Long story short I recently got back into Wicca although I'm really just reading and learning right now. No spells or anything. Since my fiance is coming home soon I told him about it. He's Christian but isn't a spiritual type, he doesn't pray or go to church. But I knew he would probably crack some jokes about it. When I told him he said why don't I do a spell to make us rich so he doesn't have to leave anymore. I told him it wasn't that simple and I haven't practiced doing spells yet anyway.

But why exactly don't really advanced witches make themselves rich? I can guess at reasons, but then in a way it just seems like any other spell. It wouldn't hurt anyone. Buy a lottery ticket and cast a spell to make it win.

This is probably the most cliché question ever, but I really want to be able to tell him why in an informed and knowledgeable way. He's so innocently optimistic about it, like dead serious please do it. Really makes me sad because we both hate that he has to travel, but in a way it is also kind of funny that a 27 year old Christian man would whole heartily ask that of me.
YanaKhan

Re: Why dont advanced witches cast spells to make them rich?

Post by YanaKhan »

I don't know about others, but to me it seems awfully selfish to cast a spell to make yourself rich.
But other than that, most witches I guess think about the consequences before casting. I know of a witch, who did cast a spell to make her rich. She had an accident and remained in a wheelchair, but was paid a good amount of money, so she did become rich.
Now, I don't mean to scare you, that was not the point of the story. It's, if you want something so shallow as to be rich (I don't mean money spells for certain things every now and again), the Universe has a way of punishing you. Because by the time you are advanced enough to cast a good money spell, you need to know everything else is more important than money.
Yeah, they are a way of life, they are needed, but think about it - how much money do you really need?
I guess it's hard when your husband has to travel. I know it's not easy to be separated, but I think a spell to make you rich is not really the answer.
Again, this is what I think, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm right about it.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I believe there is fate or a path we are on and not even spells can change that. At least not too much. I have had great luck with money jars/spells. But there is more to spells working than just casting them. Especially with money or love.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hey Farore! My understanding of magic (and this is just MY opinion and experience) is that the world is a web, where all people, events, and things are interconnected throughout time and space (sometimes known as the Web of Wyrd). We each have influence over the web, both through magical and mundane means. I like to imagine that each of us has the power to make ripple effects in the web with our actions, but as you can imagine, the ripple effects are most powerful close to our position in the web, and less powerful the farther away you get. Oftentimes, it is easier to use mundane means to accomplish our ends (for example, it's much, much easier to pick up a feather with your hand than it is to use telepathy to break the laws of physics to move the same feather), although sometimes it's nice to have a little extra help from the web's subtler workings.

So when it comes to money and magic, you have much more influence over the people and things immediately around you in the web, than things farther away from you. So you'd have a much higher success rate casting a spell to find yourself a job, or a job for your fiance that's closer to home, whereas you have little to no influence over the forces that govern the lottery (magic always seeks the path of least resistance!). The scale of the spell also matters -- a spell to win the lottery might be more effective at winning you $20 on a scratchcard than landing the jackpot for $50 million. And, of course, all of your efforts will be for naught if you cast the spell to win the lottery but never buy the lottery ticket! (I'm reminded of this joke about God and praying for a lottery ticket). Some witches will also tell you that you should only ever cast a spell for what you truly need, not for what you want -- the forces in the web (be it deities, spirits, guardians, etc.) are much more likely to help you out for things you truly need to get by, rather than fulfilling whims.

Finally, there is always the possibility that the spell will backfire on you (as in YanaKhan's example above!).

So that's why I think it's always better to ask for less and get less, than ask for too much, and get nothing (or risk it backfiring on you ...) And as YanaKhan says, by the time you're an advanced witch, you'll find that you won't need to be rich to be fulfilled.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I believe that the universe provides us exactly what we need at that moment. So if I do a spell because I need money, the universe will provide me with the amount I need. I dont think it will just make me a millionaire over night.

For instance...my DH wanted a new car, but we didnt have the extra money. We did just a general abundance spell, where he asked to be able to get a new car, and nothing else. He didnt ask to win the lottery or anything, just to be able to get a new car.

Shortly after that he slipped and fell on ice, breaking his leg and his arm. Because of that fall and break, some insurance money came in, as well as money from the complex we live in since they didnt ice the walk properly. So he was given the money which was just enough to put a down payment on the car he wanted, and to pay all his medical bills.

Sometimes the best gifts come in not such pretty packaging. He got exactly what he needed and had asked for during the spell. He wasnt given an excess of money. Like we probably could have gone to court and sued the complex and gained MUCH MUCH more money, but we didnt want to that. He got exactly what he asked for.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Farore wrote:But why exactly don't really advanced witches make themselves rich? I can guess at reasons, but then in a way it just seems like any other spell. It wouldn't hurt anyone. Buy a lottery ticket and cast a spell to make it win.
For the same reason I will never cast a spell to make me thin....again.

You've heard the phrase "be careful what you wish for"?
When I was a young- inexperienced witch, I was very enthusiastic and wanted to try tons of spells. One of them was a weightloss spell. The spell I did was a fire element spell, I dropped weight off so fast I was diagnosed with Anorexia. I didn't even have the energy to stay awake, and I nearly went braindead. Nothing in this world is free. You have to give in order to get.

I just want to add: say you did cast a spell to win on a lottery ticket, what if that ticket was meant for a starving family and you selfishly took it for yourself?

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Well, first of all, how do you know that there are not people of great wealth who got there via magick? Remember, to know, to dare, to will and to keep silent. Perhaps they simply do not broadcast how they attained their wealth. Also, not everyone needs spells and rituals to perform magick. So it is possible that their wealth was simply the result of strong intent and visualization or however things happen to some people. They never ascribed it to magick, but it was.

Another thing to consider is that there are varying talents and skills. Not everyone is born athletic or musical or has the ability to visualize with strong intent. Some people may be ok at magick, but never become skilled enough to accomplish big things.

Lastly, and like a few of the other posts say, be careful what you ask for. Many times you get what you want, but it can be like a Pandora's box- all sorts of unexpected things also come along with the package. Not everyone who is wealthy is happy and sometimes the wealth itself brings problems. Sometimes there are those that have a meteoric rise to fame or wealth and then it crashes down around them.

On more than one occasion , I was able to obtain what I wanted but it came with a price or add-ons that were not expected. Spells or visualization or intent or however you work is alot like developing a contract. You might get what you want, but unless you account for the fine print, you might find yourself in a mess.

One example is a job that I just left last year. It was a plum job that was coveted by many. I got it and stayed for seven years. That is about 6 years and 11 months too many. I did get everything I expected but very quickly into it, I realized I absolutely hated it. I finally left last year after it made me literally physically quite ill.

So the moral of this is as said above- be careful what you ask for. It may come your way, but not exactly in the form you had hoped.
Farore

Post by Farore »

I don't want to be rich, the way my family is I know it would drive a wedge between all of us. Wealth has a way of poisoning people. He makes very good money, that isn't even an issue, just the travelling and only seeing him for holidays sucks. I would like to perform a spell to open up a job closer to home. With his company they work all over the country and there is rumor they may be doing a water tower in our home town, Id love for him to get that job for awhile if it exists. Would that have bad repercussions? It doesn't seem like it should. He just asked me and I was really stumped on why not aside from no experience yet. I can see how it would be greedy and bad. But that actually makes me nervous for any spell. I can see anything from different perspectives. So I can see a good and bad to almost any spell, just nervous about what any would give in return.

Well he came home for Independence Day and we went up to Minnesota with him Sunday, we'll be here for two weeks. :) Happy about that. It's the most amazing place now that its Summer. Forests, the river, all of the hiking places, Lake Superior nearby, its awesome. I feel very connected to this place.
Archanon

Post by Archanon »

if only it were that simple to cast a spell and poof you are rich.
when you cast a spell for any purpose, be it to lose weight, to get a new job etc you still have to work for it. The spell itself is just the beginning. for example, if you cast a spell to lose weight, you still need to do the things it takes to lose weight. Eat right, exercise etc. the spell will give you an edge in achieving your goal but you still need to work to achieve it. if you cast a spell to get a new job and then sit around without actually looking for a job, putting in applications etc then you are doing yourself a disservice. Use magick as a springboard and then work for it.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Farore wrote:But why exactly don't really advanced witches make themselves rich?
Assumptions and Motivations

As Marigold mentioned, what makes you so sure that they don't? Witches don't tend to advertise the outcomes of their successful money spells (or any other spells) in the news, so people wouldn't hear about such things either way. You're not going to turn on the TV and hear, or pick up a newspaper and read, "Really Advanced Witch in Florida Wins Lottery, Makes Herself Really, Really Rich!" So, because you personally haven't heard about it, is it wise to assume it hasn't been done before, isn't being done right now, or won't be done in the future?

"Really advanced" witches tend to be really quiet witches. As was mentioned by several people on this thread, they tend to have other priorities in life besides self-aggrandizement. I know the media tends to portray all witches as ruthless egomaniacs, but don't mistake Hollywood's version of anything for being an accurate portrayal of real life. But for the record, yes, witches do acquire financial gain using spell work. They do it all the time.

In fact, you don't need to be a witch to attract finances in an other-than-mundane way. Money is just another form of energy, and as with any form of energy, it can be manipulated at will. It is a matter of skill. I know of trained remote viewers, for instance, who specialize in determining winning lottery ticket numbers, and even teach workshops to others in how to do it. To them it's not the big deal that it might be to the rest of us, just another remote viewing target.

The Nature of "Rich"

And really, what is "rich"? Is it having a six-figure job, seven-figure maybe? To a billionaire, such a salary would seem a mere pittance. A billionaire would spend more in one week, indeed in one transaction, than a seven-figure sararīman (as they say in Japanese) would earn in an entire year. Conversely, $5,000 might seem "rich" to a homeless person with no money to spare, even $1,000 would. Perhaps, even five hundred bucks would be a fortune to him or her. So another question is, by "rich" what exactly do you mean?

All I can say is when I'm with my family and we're laughing and doing something together like going to the movies, or just sitting around talking and sharing our thoughts and feelings, I always, always think to myself, "Man, I am really rich" because to me, love and togetherness is true wealth. I even say, "I am really rich" out loud when I'm with them, and they know what I mean when I do.

If I were sitting alone in my sprawling mansion, on my massive estate, counting my many millions (or billions)...with not one iota of love nor friendship nor compassion whatsoever anywhere in my life, I would consider myself the "poorest" person on the planet, seriously. That would be true poverty to me. There is a big difference between financial prosperity and living a "rich" life. The first doesn't necessarily guarantee the second.

The Right Focus

So then, what is "rich" in your situation? "Rich" to your husband might mean not having to travel so much for work, and he could get that result if he were fortunate enough to find a job closer to home. As Xiao noted, with regard to your husband's employment it doesn't sound like a lack of finances is the issue; it sounds like a lack of geographical proximity in relation to your home is the real issue. I think that's really what you guys need to be focusing on, and an Attraction Spell of some sort would be in order, not a Money Spell.

To make witchcraft work, you have to have the right intentions in mind. Then, you could ask the right questions, and use magic to help you obtain the right results for your life.

LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

I personally think that it is really selfish. I mean, there's so many people in the world that don't have enough money, and I'd say I'm fairly wealthy (well not me, per se, my family, because I'm just a teenager and I only have £5 right now), and I'm happy and I feel as if I don't need any more. I only do spells when absolutely necessary, I mainly only do healing spells. I wouldn't call that selfish. But if I did a spell right now for money, then what good would that do? I'm fine. I have nothing against people doing money spells when they're completely and utterly in debt, or owe people a lot of money.

I guess it's the same reason I would never do a love spell. Some people might, but I just think it's wrong... Wicca is about nature, not making someone fall in love with you...

Or making your life perfect. I don't mean this to sound offensive, it's just my own personal thoughts and reasoning. I'm sure many people have opinions that differ from mine, but... yeah, if I was to do a money spell to "make myself rich" I would feel rude, selfish, and like I was taking advantage of the God and Goddess. I hope this helped, blessed be -LiebeUndLicht
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I heard once about a metaphysical/occult/witchcraft shop owner who cast a spell to make him rich. He won the lottery and was able to make more stores across the state and develop wealth in a way that was healthy for him. He even mentioned that yes he did use a money spell to make him win the lottery. So it does happen and it can happen.

Though I think its rare for something to be like that. Most money spells I have found are really about making sure you have what you need to be comfortable and happy (basically enough to make sure the bills are paid and that you have comfortable spending money). Others use money spells to help get stuff for specific needs like medical bills or really expensive dream vacations they have desired for a long time. Things happen.
Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

I totally agree with you Kassandra. There is a HUGE difference between not having money and being poor. Most "advanced" witches are sage, and they understand the old saying
"You will not get everything you want, but you'll always get everything you need"
"If you can't let go, you will end up empty-handed
If you can't control, you'll live your life in vain"

Design Your Universe ~ Epica
random417

Post by random417 »

I'm going to throw a little bit different path at this question. I'm primarily a student of Kabbalah, and for me, working on my spiritual path has clearly defined things to work on in the physical world. For me, the very first step is the sphere of malkuth. Malkuth means the kingdom, and it's about creating your kingdom so to speak. For me, this is where I started with spell work, not to make myself rich exactly, but to get myself to a point that I didn't worry about the day to day. I actually consider that to be a thing you have to deal with in order to progress spiritually, and if that means money magick, then that's what that means. Just my 2 cents
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Gothfey

Post by Gothfey »

You should look up Teal Scott and see her video about manifesting money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1tiHT3 ... CPTq1hYzWQ
Having a lot of money and ask the universe for financial abundance is in no way selfish (that is a belief of lack that prevents you from really being able to have what you wish :surprisedwitch: ). Actually, since we all are energy, we benefit from going in the direction of what makes us happy. That leaves others more energy to align up with and you will be inspired to achieve abundance in your life aswell. Life is meant to be happy and fun, you are the creator of your own life all the time. Not only when you´re doing spellwork. So if you wish to manifest more money check out her video. This will work with your beliefs, both core beliefs and conscious ones that may need to be changed in order for you to attract money in a positive way and outcome. The reason for a spell to backfire I would guess is because we missed what we truly believed deep down, we have to and must create from a state of love and trust in oneself. Created from insecurity or unhappiness, stress, sadness whatever that you may not be aware of might get caught up in your spell of attracting your soulmate for example. This person will show up, but will also sooner or later act in a way that reveals your insecurity and dislike towards yourself and this person. Then you might break up, even though he was a soulmate. it was "one" kind of a souldmate you attracted, because we attract what we are. A spell is made up of your own energy and the outcome will reflect what you truly are inside, whether you're aware of it or not.
Shadow work is a great way to examine our thoughts, beliefs and feelings.

People might not agree but this is what I think about the subject. Once you've done a good work with your core beliefs and state of mind for a time about money, a positive work and outcome will already have been set into motion automatically. Then you can do a spell, which will give it a positive push in the right direction! smileylove

~Blessings! :flyingwitch:
Black is the color of creation. Black is the maternal color and thus the starlit night gives birth to a new day.

Return to “F.A.Q.”