Do the type of stones matter?

Discussion of runes.
Blue

Do the type of stones matter?

Post by Blue »

Hello there again,

I was browsing through Pinterest and I came across an Irish Ogam rune stone chart (and the meanings), and I was extremely drawn to it. I've always felt a connection with Ireland and Irish things, even when I was little. And I just felt so drawn to it and I knew I had to try and make these runes.

I see normal runes on all sorts of different stones, so I figured, like tarot cards, the type of stone used for the runes do hold meaning and will affect the reading. Is that really the case?
Dionysus

Re: Do the type of stones matter?

Post by Dionysus »

In my view it don't matter the stone etc,
Blessed be!
New witch!
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

I think it can depend on your personal associations with certain stones. The rune set I'm currently using is made from salt dough and it's probably the most accurate set I've had, and it resonates with me, partially because, I think, I handmade them. So in that sense, I don't think that the medium you use to make them is as important as the creative and personal energy you put into making them. That being said, if a particular stone or wood holds an attraction for you, then I'd go with your intuition. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Blue

Post by Blue »

Alright. Thanks for letting me know guys. I was just curious if the stones actually did hold meaning, because if they did, I would want to try and get a hold of some stones that came from Ireland (Or just wait until I move there in a few years time)
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

As far as I've ever read into the Ogham alphabet, they were mostly carved/drawn onto wooden sticks. Stones, while they exist and there are historical reminders of that fact, weren't likely the most common medium.

With that in mind, I would say that the type of stone only matters in regards to the significance of that stone to the practitioner. i.e. what stone(s) have significance for you that would make sense to carve your alphabet onto.

Return to “Runes”