Question about Rune Books

Discussion of runes.
The_Reclining_Reader

Question about Rune Books

Post by The_Reclining_Reader »

I just bought a set of runes that came with The Book Of Runes. My question is: do you recommend I use that book, or the Futhark series of books.

I'd flipped through some of the Futhark books years ago and they seemed to contain a lot of information, which I liked. The Book of Runes, on the other hand, seems very short, and maybe it's the academic in me, but shorter doesn't seem better.

I'd like to know what you think, please.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about Rune Books

Post by Firebird »

Is the author of your Book of Runes by Blum? Many would say not to put any weight into his work, it's flowery and fun but not very accurate.
The book I recommend is called Taking up the Runes by Diana Paxon
another good one is Runecasters Handbook by Edred Thorsson
also Rune Power by Kenneth Meadows
and finally Freya Aswynn has some interesting exercises and outlook involving runes in her book Northern Mysteries and Magic.
happy casting!
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Seconding Firebyrdflys. Blum is not a reliable scholar when it comes to Runes, and the blank rune (while some people use it now to represent Odin and the Unknown), is not historically accurate. More or less he assigned his own definitions to the runes based on what he felt was "right" and published it.

I really like Edred Thorrson's books. Even though there's been some controversy about his person (within some groups, water under the bridge now really), he actually has some solid information.

But, as with all my advice when it comes to broadening our knowledge, read everything you can get ahold of and cross-reference. :)
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

All of FF's suggestions are great! Personally, I'll read just about any book on the runes that I can get my hands on (I haven't read Blum, but from what FF and Vesca have said, I may very well avoid it altogether), short or otherwise, if for no other reason than to take further notes and compare the author's observations to others. I'd say to give the book that came with your set a chance, and perhaps also check out the Futhark series as well, and then draw your own conclusions based on personal experience.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
The_Reclining_Reader

Post by The_Reclining_Reader »

firebirdflys wrote:Is the author of your Book of Runes by Blum? Many would say not to put any weight into his work, it's flowery and fun but not very accurate.
The book I recommend is called Taking up the Runes by Diana Paxon
another good one is Runecasters Handbook by Edred Thorsson
also Rune Power by Kenneth Meadows
and finally Freya Aswynn has some interesting exercises and outlook involving runes in her book Northern Mysteries and Magic.
happy casting!
Firebird
Yep, it's by Blum. I'll give it shot, but I'm put of by a line in the intro that says they avoid the negative interpretations because.... only good stuff matters?

I'll check out the other books all of you mentioned, thanks. Funny though, FF. The second book you mentioned is a Futhark book.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Futhark basically means Runic alphabet. The most well known are the younger futhark or the elder futhark and Anglo-saxon, then there a few others, each which has slightly different runes. Most are based on the Elder Futhark.
The book I think has the best info and can learn the most from is the one by Mz. Paxon.
Please remember to take all of what you read in Blum's with plenty of salt. He doesn't even pronounce several of them correctly.
One part in the book I liked, didn't relate to runes but to the Gayatri...(which is a Sanskrit word in the Hindu religion.)
A morning prayer to say when addressing the Sun... "You who illuminate the world, illuminate also my heart, so it too can do your work."
Let us know how you come along with the Runes.
blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Runes”