what kind of runes for beginners

Discussion of runes.
Ravenstar

what kind of runes for beginners

Post by Ravenstar »

I have always felt drawn to runes. I have tried tarot cards but to confessing. I am the kind of person who visually learns. I can't just learn from books. I need simply books I guess since I can't find any teachers in person. Blessings. :flyingwitch:
Heartsong

Re: what kind of runes for beginners

Post by Heartsong »

Hi Ravenstar,

What do you mean by what kind of runes? Are you asking about which runic alphabet to try as a beginner or what materials should your runes be made from or something else entirely?

I started out with a stone set that had the Elder Futhark runes carved into them. If you need or want books to research that particular alphabet, I'd be happy to recommend several.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Ravenstar

Post by Ravenstar »

Thank you. Yes I would like to read a book or two. Also, do runes come with a guide to explain like some tarot card sets? Blessings. :flyingwitch:
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I like the books by Edred Thorsson, as his research is actually based in something archaeologically supported (unlike Blum, who created a false rune and pulled definitions out of his backside).

If you buy a set with an instructional guide, it may well be by Blum so you may want to reconsider that purchase if you're trying to find something more .. for lack of a better word, solid.

Traditionally, you make your own set. But I bought mine, and it works perfectly well. Here are the 3 books I would really recommend reading.

Futhark: A Handbook of Rune Magic
Edred Thorsson

Runelore: The Magic, History, and Hidden Codes of the Runes
Edred Thorsson

Runecaster's Handbook: The Well of Wyrd
Edred Thorsson
Eve_Requiem

Post by Eve_Requiem »

I found that taking notes about the runes (I specifically work with the elder futhark) from different sources helped me understand them more specifically. Then, when I would do a casting, I can consult my notes and interpret them based on my own data.
I also do recommend making your own set of runes, because it's a fun craft and a nice experience.

Return to “Runes”