Gipsy Runes aka Witch's Runes

Discussion of runes.
Shub Niggurath

Gipsy Runes aka Witch's Runes

Post by Shub Niggurath »

A while back I was surprised that I couldn't find any thread about Gipsy Runes here on EUTM but that actually motivated me to finally research the topic by myself more in depth - I've been putting this away for far too long anyway. So here it is! ;)

In this thread I'm talking about the 9+1 set (Gipsy Runes), not the 12+1 set (Witch's Runes) as I believe the 9+1 is more traditional.

(Source: AlaskaLaserMaid)

How to make a set

Traditionally they should be made out of stones. There's two kinds of stones you can use for that:
1. Water Stones - if you connect more with the Water as an element, you should pick up 10 stones from the beach during the Ebb Tide. The best time to look for the stones is Autumn and Spring.
2. Earth Stones - if you connect more with the Earth as an element, you should gather 10 stones from just below the surface of the ground, during the day when it's neither light nor dark - during the Dusk.

The stones shouldn't be too small or too big - just big enough to paint the symbols on them. The Eye stone works best if it's in a shape of the eye.
Once you paint the symbols on the stones and they're dry they should be placed in a sack.

How to divine

Place the Eye stone around 3 feet away from you and ask a question in your mind. Then you should recite the special rhyme/spell (it can be found in the article I linked at the end of this post) to activate the stones and then toss them in the direction of the eye. All the stones that landed with their symbols down can be removed as they're not carrying any message. Then you interpret the remaining stones - the closer to the Eye the more meaningful they are / the faster their message will manifest in your life. If they touch eachother they should be interpreted in conjunction.

Interpretation

Here's a simplified guide to interpretation that I found. I wouldn't rely too much on it though - it this system it's important to come up with your own connotations and establish a personal connection with the stones. Keeping a notebook near you and taking notes while learning this system of divination is advised.
(Source: Click)

I've been fascinated by those runes for a long time now but never bothered to do enough research (it was actually hard to get a sufficient amount of information on this - I guess this system is not too popular). But now that I finally managed to get the bits and pieces of information together I'm definitely going to make a set for myself to give my Elder Futhark a rest and to try something new.
What do you guys think about the Gipsy Runes? Anyone of you ever used them? Anyone planning on using them?

Handy PDF:
The Golden Dawn Journal Book I. Divination (Page 231: "Gipsy Runes" by Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki, definitely worth a read!)
Kassandra

Re: Gipsy Runes aka Witch's Runes

Post by Kassandra »

Cool post, thanks. Thanks for doing the research, and adding a new thread of info for this forum.

I definitely got some powerful associations just reading over the descriptions of the pieces. There is much complexity in their simplicity (I guess that's the point of runes, right?). I almost saw a tarot-card-like, illustration format when I visualized each rune's associations in my mind. It kind of inspired me to create a set just to share with others what I "see," if for no other reason (just really don't have time in my schedule right now, though it would be a great project).

Like, with the birds rune, I saw a flock of birds and I did think of messages, like messages from spirit, from dead loved ones, from spirit guides, etc. And with rings, I thought of not only situations in which we're happily bound, but situations in which we need to unbind ourselves (this would depend, of course, on the reading, the querent's situation, etc.). The sickle card, to me, definitely has the vibe of the tower card in tarot. And I thought of a third category of stones in addition to the earth and the water: fire. Gather stones found at the bottom of a campsite fire pit, for instance.

This got my imagination going, lol. Thanks, again.

SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Those are interesting. I hadn't heard of gypsy runes before. Thanks for sharing.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I saw similar symbols in a movie once, but they were on cards. Tried to research them, but had no luck.
Thank you for posting this, it's very very interesting. Something I might try.

Return to “Runes”