Dagaz

Discussion of runes.
Heartsong

Dagaz

Post by Heartsong »

I’ve been meaning to make a post on Dagaz for a while, but I was severely sidetracked with other projects. Now that I have some time, however, I think it’s be fun to share my thoughts on this rune, and what I have in my notes about it. I hope this will ignite a little discussion about it, as well as encourage others to share their experiences and thoughts about Dagaz. :)

The Rune Poem

Daeg the glorious light of the sun is sent by Odin,
is beloved of men,
a source of hope and happiness to rich and poor alike,
of service to all.

The Nature of the Rune

Dagaz is the Dayrune, and is thus, like it’s shape suggests, reflective of the natural cycle of day and night. Also within its shape, are housed the runes Isa and Kennaz, ice and fire, respectively. I think this is a beautiful link to the energies of the moon and sun, with fiery solar power encased within cooler lunar energies. However, you can also see how Isa appears to be almost empowered by the presence of Kennaz, and in this shape, their energies are constantly flowing, winding back and forth in an ever-shifting, pulsing rhythm. It is through these energies that Dagaz comes to symbolize growth, not in the sense of instant, earth-shattering change that is suggested in runes like Thurisaz or Hagalaz, but in the gradual, steady passage of each day, in the little bursts of illumination that are like the first sunbeams of morning, or the last rosy light at dusk.

On the one hand, it would appear obvious that the symbolism within Dagaz is that of polar opposites (night/day, dawn/twilight, ice/fire), and of the fine balance that exists between these concepts. Hence, it can be said that this is a rune that represents paradoxical truth. Just as we know that the cycle of day and night is as reliable as they are contrary, truth is often attributed two sides, and compared to a coin balanced on its side. We are aware of the existence of both sides, just as we are aware that night exists, even though we can’t see it in the light of day.
It is to find the center between two extremes and maintaining a state of mind undisturbed by any mental or emotional storm. At the center, all power is to be found and equilibrium is a desirable attainment.
Source: http://runesecrets.com/rune-meanings/dagaz

Despite the potential of having a contradicting nature, truth can be exactly that, and still be truth (Just as day is no more important in our lives than night. We need both in order to live in harmony). Another facet of Dagaz, then, is the revelation that we do not need to define ourselves, or our lives, as having a true side and a false side. There is no right or wrong answer to a question. There is only the answer. In turn, there is only existence, only ‘to be’, and not a right way to be and a wrong way to be. Thus, it can be inferred that, if there is only ‘to be’, it can be said that there are no true opposites either. “Darkness is not darkness.” Two sides of the same coin means that there is only a coin.

Dagaz is also often naturally attributed to the concepts of beginnings and endings. Due to its unending nature, however, I think of it as less about one or the other, and more about the path in between. It is a path. It is outside of time. In regards to the Northern mythos, it is the equivalent of the rainbow bridge, the pathway to Asgard, and the link between the world of the gods and Midgard, our world. Therefore, it can be seen as the balance between those worlds, mediating between spirit and the physical, light and dark, death and life. And yet, it suggests at the same time that there is no separation between these ideas. “Dagaz synthesizes, transmutes, and dissolves all opposing polarities” (Aswynn, 89).

A paradoxical truth indeed.

Dagaz in Meditation and Spellcraft

~Can be linked with Algiz in a bind-rune for extra protection

~those well-trained in visualization can use Dagaz to become “invisible” or unnoticed by others

~Can be used to help encourage simultaneous left and right-brain thinking
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dagaz

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hey Heartsong! This is a beautiful post; I love how you see Dagaz as paradoxical truth, the ability to hold multiple truths in your heart as the same time. I hadn't thought of it like that before. And I especially like your analysis of Isa and Kennaz as each feeding the other ... as always, I love your insights on the runes!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Thank you Xiao. ^_^
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I love your work, Heartsong. Thanks for sharing this.

Return to “Runes”