advanced rune reading ?

Discussion of runes.
Kitty

advanced rune reading ?

Post by Kitty »

So I'm pretty good at reading runes in the basic way now but I wondered if anyone has any advise or sources on how to advance it.
I'm talking about the order or the shapes they fall in, or runic spreads so I can get more out of them, even stuff like what time of the day you could choose to focus on a certain thihing etc, I love my runes but it would be nice to get even more out of them

Thankyou :)
xx
JBRaven
Banned Member

Re: advanced rune reading ?

Post by JBRaven »

I too read runes, and I may be able to guide you a little.

I have created my own spreads, and I find that this brings the runes closer to you.

Have you leanred the galdar songs? Can you understand the meaning of connected runes? ( Such as Isa,, Laguz, and Naudhiz being put together for healing and reducing fever?)

What spreads do you know?

Have you made your own runes? Do you use more than one set?
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've not heard of the galdar songs and the meanings of connected rune is something I'm particularly interested in learning more about - are there any good books you know that cover this ?

I know the basic spreads - 3,5,7, and a few more complex ones, but I only really use the element one or thors hammer, other than those I might try one from online every now and again

and as for sets, I have an obsidian set for general and a rose quartz for love, I don't tend to use them together mostly because it annoys me to seperate them again - lol

another thing I'm quite interested in is if there is a method where you take a handful and drop them, and where they fall, or the order or something, helps to add to the definition
xx
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Ingwaz, Fehu,and Laguz are put together to draw money. ( potential energy, moblie wealth, and growth.)
GEBO, iNgwaz, Dagaz for love.
Souilo,Jera, Uruz are put together for Healing.
Mannaz,Ansuz, and Kenaz for wisdom
isa, Naudhiz and Thurisaz for general protection.
Isa, Kenaz, Raidho helps push out negatvity.

You have to look closer in the meaning of the runes, place them together in ways that make you connect to a deeper meaning. There are a few more I know, but I will move on.

when "throwing runes" I place them in the 9 worlds. I will now attempt to map them out. (Here a try)

------------------------- Nifelheim

Alfheim ----------------------------------------- ---------- Asgard

Vanaheim --------------- Midgard ------------------- Jotunheim

Hel ----------------------------------------------------- Svartalheim

------------------------ Muspelheim

Nifelheim The fog world, the shadow self, origins and roots. Low level of conscious.

Alfheim is a middle level of conscious, plants, trees, brids, thought

Asgard is the realm of the Gods, Inspiration and Spirit, Higest Plane of Conscious

Jotunheim is a low level of conscious. Chaotic part of self, Anumis/ disruptive Male energy and the giant world.

Midgard The personality, humankid, Ego Middle level of conscious.

Vanaheim Feeling, Water, Emotion Balance. High level of Conscious

Muspelheim Intuition, Vital energies, Creative Fire. High level of conscious.

Svartalheim Sensation, Transmutting. Middle level of conscious

Hel Realm of the dead, Anima/ Destructive female energy.

With this you can connect runes with each world and read accordingly. Blank runes and runes that fall from the reading area not read. Interesting shapes like Runes making the shape of runes, should be noted.

I hope this helps.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

thankyou so much - this all looks real helpful
it was actually runes falling into the shape of a rune that gave me the idea
xx
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

It is really all about your perception of the runes shape. When they fall, they are like clouds, one person sees Fenu while the other sees Gebo. This speaks to the connection of the runes and yourself. I would suggest making a set yourself. I know some where on the forums there is a picture that I put up of plastic star beads. I made my first set with those, (Blame the techno music that powers my heart) and wore them on a necklace so they were always with me. I would take off the necklace, untie it, give a reading, and then string them back on. The whole task seem ritualized after a while.

Another way to connect closer to the runes it using them in your magic workings. Carving them into candles, making charms with them and writing in the runes. Unlike tarot, runes are the mysteries of life and can (and should) be used in more than just Divination. Growing closer to them opens them up like lock doors. Look into the galdar songs and there is even Runic Yoga.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I can see runic yoga being very difficult - lol
I'm thinking of carving them into wax discs for a set

I like what you say about ritual, I girl I knew had one of those crystal cage things and would put whatever rune she drew for the day in it and and wear it as a necklace
xx
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0sBU130b8

Runic Yoga is not hard at all. Look into it and you may find it enjoyable.
john85uk

Post by john85uk »

JBRaven, this spread is great and its inspired me to do something similar. I've used your 9 realms in a similar way but just swapped Vanaheim for Alfheim so that the two God planets are opposite each other. The top three planets represent Ego, the bottom three Id and the middle Superego. The left side is feminine and the right side is masculine. I've also assigned a God to each planet as follows...

Muspelheim
The realm of fire. Ruled by LOKI the trouble maker. Unconscious desires. Loki's troublesome personality mixed with the fire qualities of passion, intuition and energy.

Hel
The realm of the dead. Ruled by ODIN the all-father. Death, magic and the unknown.

Svartalfheim
The realm of the dark elves. Ruled by TYR the god of war. Creative side of war. Preparation.

Jotunheim
The realm of giants. Ruled by THOR, god and thunder and slayer of the giants. Destructive side of war.

Midgard
The realm of man. Ruled by FRIGG, Odin's wife. Mother earth. Mankind and the personality.

Alfheim
The realm of elves. Ruled by FREYA, goddess of love and beauty.

Vanaheim
The Gods realms of the Vanir, fertility, wisdom and foresight. Ruled by FREY the god of fertility and spouse to Freya.

Asgard
The realm of the Aesir, power and victory. Ruled by BALDER, the loved. Masculine qualities in opposition to the Vanir qualities. Balder is Loki's opposite number where he is loved and Loki is hated.

Nifelheim
The realm of ice. Ruled by NJORD, god of the sea, fishing and prosperity. Water qualities of love and emotion but a more frozen distant love without passion and with emphasis on material things.

I could also assign planets this way with Mercury – Hel, Venus – Alfheim, Earth – Midgard, Mars – Svartalfheim, Jupiter – Jotunheim, Moon – Vanaheim and Sun – Asgard. Leaving Nifelheim and Muspelheim without planets.

I don't claim to be an expert on runes or Norse cosmology but this fits in with my own interpretation on things. Let me know what you think or if things need moving around.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I like that I inspired anyone to do anything:).

I do question a few of your god associations. So I will suggest changes but if you have your own reasoning for the association pay them no mind. Do what feels natural to you, these are just what feel natural to me.

Hel(heim) may benifit by being ruled by HEL. The goddess of the dead and the afterlife is Hel (Holle, Hulda), and was portrayed by the Vikings as being half-dead, half alive herself. The Vikings viewed her with considerable trepidation. The Dutch, Gallic, and German barbarians viewed her with some beneficence, more of a gentler form of death and transformation. She is seen by them as Mother Holle; a being of pure Nature, being helpful in times of need, but vengeful upon those who cross her or transgress natural law.

As for Frigga, I would suggest Rig/Heimdall. HE is the creator of the classes. But I see the relation of the original goddess, I just find more with RIg.

Good job, I really like it. I hope that it brings you much understanding of the mysteries.
john85uk

Post by john85uk »

Thanks I'm glad you like it and you're right, it does make sense to have Hel in Hel. Then I can put Odin in Asgard. As I said I'm kind of new to Norse mythology so I'm not familiar with Rig but after a quick look on good old wikipedia, Midgard looks like the right place for him. Then I could probably put Frigg in Vanaheim so that she is opposite her spouse Odin and that fits in with my male and female sides of the tree.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I am glad to help. I hope you find much direction in your work with this spread. If you have any other questions or have new spreads, please post. I love to see Runes in people's life. They are so much better than Tarot :):)LOL.

Return to “Runes”