The blank rune

Discussion of runes.
orestes903

The blank rune

Post by orestes903 »

All of the resources I have found seem to be split down the middle of if there is a true "blank rune" or not. Some of them say it is real and others say don't believe the other side because it does not and never has existed. What is your opinion? When using the runes, do you use a blank one or do you believe it isn't a true rune?

Orestes
Zili

Re: The blank rune

Post by Zili »

If i remember correctly this is Odin's Rune (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and being Odin's rune it stands for knowledge
orestes903

Post by orestes903 »

Ya, that's what I was originally taught. It wasn't til later that read the blank rune wasn't around until modern times. Thanks for the reply :)

Orestes
xhesive

Post by xhesive »

Well I'm one of those that do't feel like the blank rune is a true rune so I don't use it. My reasoning is this: Runes are symbols, not the host that carries them. The blank rune has no symbol so it's not a real rune in my eyes. Also, I was taught that each runic symbol represents a visual sound, (like in galdr... rune magic... if you're performing this then you are "singing the runes") and since a blank rune visually represents nothing, then it can't represent a sound like the other 24 runes in the Elder Futhark. If it can't represent a sound then it can't convey runic energy, and also can't connect to the Well of Wyrd. And last, I don't use it because it has no historical basis in rune lore or tradition. If Odin came down the tree with a blank rune it's not in my Edda.
Fionn The Mutt

Post by Fionn The Mutt »

I'm with Xhesive on this one. The blank rune, justified as saying "It's in the hands of the Gods" is not only a modern addition, but a rather useless one at that. The meaning of the blank rune as "It's in the hands of the Gods" is already covered by Perthro. Apparently, the blank rune was created by Ralph Blum, who has allegedly written one of the worst books on the Runes ever, although ironically, also one of the most cited...
BallisticJW

Post by BallisticJW »

The blank rune controversy! I am again another person who doesn't use the blank rune. If you take a look back at runes and runes symbols there wasn't a blank rule written in the set. The ancient ones who we take the symbols and knowledge of the power of runes also don't use the blank rune. Some people go further when dicussing the runes and state that adding to a sacred source could be considered tampering with the works of the God/dess. People go even further to say things about the validity of the readings done that include the blank rune.I don't go that far, but I do believe that for me rune readings done without the blank rune have been more effective for me.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I agree Ballistic. I do question the validity of readings done with blank runes just I would if the lot had two Gebo. The blank rune I think is placed in a set as an extra, just in case one gets lost you can make another one. It has grown into having a meaning.
BallisticJW

Post by BallisticJW »

Yeah, but with all things magickal we interpret and make our own. For some people the blank rune seems to represent destiny or the 'free will' of the person. Of course this is true anyway, because we have the choice to follow the runes, or go our own way. So although it hasn't worked for me, I can't casually disregard the blank rune.
ratfool

Post by ratfool »

Most likely never was a blank rune. BUT no one really knows
What there was or wasn't. As much of the knowledge we have
Is from Corcelius Tacitus or other very general discripitions

Marlene

A TREATISE ON
THE SITUATION, MANNERS AND INHABITANTS OF GERMANY.

By Cornelius Tacitus

10. No people are more addicted to divination by omens and lots. The latter is performed in the following simple manner. They cut a twig7 from a fruit-tree, and divide it into small pieces, which, distinguished by certain marks, are thrown promiscuously upon a white garment. 2 Then, the priest of the canton, if the occasion be public; if private, the master of the family; after an invocation of the gods, with his eyes lifted up to heaven, thrice takes out each piece, and, as they come up, interprets their signification according to the marks fixed upon them. 3 If the result prove unfavorable, there is no more consultation on the same affair that day; if propitious, a confirmation by omens is still required. In common with other nations, the Germans are acquainted with the practice of auguring from the notes and flight of 16 birds; but it is peculiar to them to derive admonitions and presages from horses also.8 4 Certain of these animals, milk-white, and untouched by earthly labor, are pastured at the public expense in the sacred woods and groves. These, yoked by a consecrated chariot, are accompanied by the priest, and king. or chief person of the community, who attentively observe their manner of neighing and snorting; 5 and no kind of augury is more credited, not only among the populace, but among the nobles and priests. For the latter consider themselves as the ministers of the gods, and the horses, as privy to the divine will. 6 Another kind of divination, by which they explore the event of momentous wars, is to oblige a prisoner, taken by any means whatsoever from the nation with whom they are at variance, to fight with a picked man of their own, each with his own country’s arms; and, according as the victory falls, they presage success to the one or to the other party.9
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

I know there is no historical evidence of a blank rune but as an intuitive person I understand why Lisa Peschel's book uses it. She says it means the void and also fate. So if I draw a blank rune my own subconscious accesses it's intuition of the void to clarify what the runes after it could be pointing to in terms of thoughts and feelings that come up rather than what just the actual Futark runes symbolize. Also when doing a reading for another person, if the blank rune shows up it means you should not be privy to another persons fate: a warning not to pry maybe into others business.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Blank rune makes no sense to me. I don't use it.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I don't personally use a blank rune, but I've read that Pertho can play a fairly similar role to the blank rune, since it represents the gaming cup, chance, and fate. If I recall correctly, Freya Aswynn wrote in her book, Northern Mysteries and Magick, that she once had Pertho turn up repeatedly in a reading, which she felt was the gods' way of telling her to stop asking the question, since she wasn't meant to know the answer.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

I'm not very experienced with runes, but I've always taken the blank rune to mean that there is an answer to my question, but for whatever reason, the runes aren't going to tell me. In a way, I think of it as a kind of placeholder for a piece of information that the runes don't want to reveal to me. That's probably a pretty weird interpretation, though.
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

It can mean both hidden information not revealed in a runecast, or that you are not meant to know someone else's reading. Even though it means hidden things and fate like Perthro I can see if you draw Wyrd in the same runecast to clarify whether Perthro means unexpected gains, occult abilities, or even sexual compatability which may not be clarified with only using Perthro to symbolize fate. With the blank rune you pretty much know it's an issue of fate and not sexual compatibility.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
WillowMoon

Post by WillowMoon »

Hmmmm.. I know this rune as the Divine Intervention Rune. Although while that might not be right on all accounts its how I know it by. And yes I do read with them included as find it helpful when it turns up for others mind you :D

Return to “Runes”