Dandelion Seeds

Moderator: Kassandra

loona wynd
Banned Member

Dandelion Seeds

Post by loona wynd »

One thing I can think of using the seed of dandelions for is wish magic and wish work. I remember being told as a child that when you pick the head with seeds and blow them into the wind to make a wish. The wish is carried on the wind by the seeds. Today I gathered up a whole lot of dandelion seed heads. I have ideas for making a wish powder with them. I'm just not sure what else I could think of for using them. Any thoughts?
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dandelion Seeds

Post by Xiao Rong »

I love the idea of saving dandelion seeds. I saw this pin about saving dandelions to make a wish, which inspired me to make a (Xiao Rong wire wrapped Crafts) viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27295 with dandelion seeds:

To me, dandelions also represent resilience and hope in the face of adversity ... Gardeners do their darnedest to get rid of them, and they just keep coming back! They have deep taproots which make them really hard to kill, so in that sense I see them as an excellent representation of the connection of earth and air, reaching deep underground yet they ride on the wind.
Last edited by Firebird on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing link
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

That is sort of what I was thinking of doing for a dandelion wish charm. That would fall under wish magic and wish work like my last post mentioned.
Xiao Rong wrote:To me, dandelions also represent resilience and hope in the face of adversity ... Gardeners do their darnedest to get rid of them, and they just keep coming back! They have deep taproots which make them really hard to kill, so in that sense I see them as an excellent representation of the connection of earth and air, reaching deep underground yet they ride on the wind.
The roots are supposed to have underworld properties. That's one thing I have recently come to learn about herbs. All different parts of the herbs probably have different uses and associations. Raven Grimassi taught a workshop one year at the Local Pagan Pride day on Old World Witchcraft that covered how the different parts of the plants dealt with different realms and might have different properties.

You did just give me an additional idea. I could do something with finding inner strength with them. Resilience to me would be a form of inner strength. To me it would apply magically and spiritually for the reasons you mentioned. People apply products like roundup or other weed killers and dandelions always come back. They are also one of the few plants I can see popping up in side walks and the like in the middle of a busy city. So that would be strength and fire.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

An old protection charm is to keep seeds in a jar. Evil forces would have to stop and count the seeds. I don't think I've ever read why evil forces "had to" count. :? Dandelion seeds won't fit together as neatly as other seeds, because of the white puffy bits. However, I think they would work just as well as any other seed, especially if evil forces were to stop and count the pappus of fine hairs.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I never thought of dandelion in this magical way, how cool. Love your work, Xiao.

I've always considered the leaves as salad fodder, and the roasted roots as a tasty liver-cleansing coffee alternative, also a great detox ingredient.

Thanks for starting this thread, loona. I need to give this forum more attention. Glad to see people are still Foraying in the Green. :wink:

Last edited by Firebird on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: couldn't find broken link so removed it instead
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:An old protection charm is to keep seeds in a jar. Evil forces would have to stop and count the seeds. I don't think I've ever read why evil forces "had to" count. :? Dandelion seeds won't fit together as neatly as other seeds, because of the white puffy bits. However, I think they would work just as well as any other seed, especially if evil forces were to stop and count the pappus of fine hairs.
Thats actually a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if further confusion would happen if they had to find the seeds among other items like other protective herbs. Its something to think about.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:.
I never thought of dandelion in this magical way, how cool.
Really? When I see the seeds all I can think of is wish work. Making a wish and blowing it into the wind. Hence the Dandelion Wish spell I wrote and posted in the spells forum. Other properties I have are: Purification, Manifestation of wishes, enrichment, and money.
Kassandra wrote:.Love your work, Xiao.
Agreed.
Kassandra wrote:.Here's some more properties of the dandies that may inspire further magical uses for somebody: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25778.html
I will have to take a look at that. Thank you.
Kassandra wrote: I've always considered the leaves as salad fodder, and the roasted roots as a tasty liver-cleansing coffee alternative, also a great detox ingredient.
They are a wonderful natural item. You can do a lot with them. You can make wines, salads and much more with dandelions. I dont do much work with natural medicines of plants so I wouldn't really know where to start with them. I do know that dandelions are good for you and have a lot of nutrients for you. I've found some in salads sold at farmers markets before.
Kassandra wrote:.Thanks for starting this thread, loona.
Any time. I thought it would be interesting to see what people have to say about this "weed". Though to be honest I never think of them as weeds. They are because of how they grow and work, but that doesn't mean there isn't much more to them than meets the eye.
Kassandra wrote:. I need to give this forum more attention. Glad to see people are still Foraying in the Green. :wink:
This was my first time doing any real work with plant spirits and plant spirit communication. So that is one of the reasons I started the thread. That and I figured other people would have insight into dandelions that I might not have.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

loona wynd wrote:
Echo_of_shadows wrote:An old protection charm is to keep seeds in a jar. Evil forces would have to stop and count the seeds. I don't think I've ever read why evil forces "had to" count. :? Dandelion seeds won't fit together as neatly as other seeds, because of the white puffy bits. However, I think they would work just as well as any other seed, especially if evil forces were to stop and count the pappus of fine hairs.
Thats actually a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if further confusion would happen if they had to find the seeds among other items like other protective herbs. Its something to think about.
I wonder if the seeds would have the same properties as the fully matured herbs. Maybe a whole jar of protective seeds would make a nice charm.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Echo_of_shadows wrote: I wonder if the seeds would have the same properties as the fully matured herbs. Maybe a whole jar of protective seeds would make a nice charm.
They might. Poppy seeds are an example. If you eat the seeds in some form and take a drug test it will come out positive for drugs because of the poppy seed. So who knows. I have been told that different parts of plants may have different properties like in some you would use the leaves for one thing and the flowers for another thing.

Return to “Kassandra's Foray in the Green”