i feel like a dweeb

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
shadow_walker143

i feel like a dweeb

Post by shadow_walker143 »

ok, i know alot about things, but for the life of me, i cant seem to understand the concept of meditation. every time i try to relax and meditate, i fall asleep. :oops: so is there anyone who can teach me how to meditate the right way? thanks in advance.
shadow
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/shadow97702/ksiezyce.jpg[/img]
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i too have difficulty meditating. i am interested to see what people have too say.
Gardak

Post by Gardak »

Well here is a technique I've posted many times but It has seemed to help some people out. Here you go :)

Here is my technique that I already posted for someone else.

I am a martial artist and the mind is a large part of it. It is perhaps more important then what people think. A clear mind can do much. I have learned that after years of learning my martial arts I have found a way to tap into the art of meditation in a way, perhaps, that others havent. I wouldn't really know as I have kept this to myself until now.

What I do is light a stick of incense(always chamomile, for me). I have found that chamomile often will help you relax and I believe there are a few scientific studies that have concluded that it releases a relaxing agent when burned or chewed. I will often light a candle(I dont think color matters) and set it front of me. I then shut off everything that gives off sound. I sit down in front of my candle and incense, close my eyes, and then begin to focus my energy into myself. In other words, I feel around my body and center myself. Once I have did this to satisfactory point, I will open my eyes and look into the flame. This is when I start to meditate and find my inner peace. I have then cleared my mind and feel the bliss of tranquility.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Hmm... that sounds like an idea.

Did you learn that through Tai Chi or was it something you simply figured out that worked for you? (Planning on joining Tai Chi soon)
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

There's a story I read as a child which has a similar meditation in it. It's called: "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar".

T. Guy.
shadow_walker143

Post by shadow_walker143 »

thanks so much for your help. i will have to try those ideas as soon as i get a little time alone. roomates suck when you live in a studio lol. anyway, thanks.
shadow
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/shadow97702/ksiezyce.jpg[/img]
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Rather than meditate, I like to go to a peaceful [away from humans = peaceful, to me] place and either focus on or forget my thoughts. If I have a problem, I go for forgetting, I just stand on a bridge over a river and let it go away from me. Works really well for me. If I focus, then I try to see if anything becomes apparent to me, omens if you like. I've been guided by overheard conversation, ducks coasting on river currents , boxer dogs drooling on my neck! and all sorts in between. I never go home without something to help. I find I don't have much call for meditation, in a formal way. I like to relax by being outside, all weathers too - can I ask those who do, why you do? Is it for focus or relaxation?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

For me it's for focus and training, I guess. I have a hard time keeping control of my thoughts, my mind gets 'noisy' easily so it's hard to form any kind of intent when I'm doing spells or rituals. I also do it so I can learn to navigate my inner consiousness more, possibly for healing or visions once I get better at it.

I'm all sorts of good at relaxing without meditation, but it typically involves the outdoors without people, also.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Yeah, I tend to divide my uses between focusing for something specific (we even do a bit in Tae Kwon Do) and simply relaxing. I even practice meditation techniques just pull myself to sleep at times, lol. But yeah, meditation does help to break free a lot of built-up stress and give things organized in my head.

I do know what you both are talking about by being outside alone to relax. I enjoy it when I am home, but dorms in the middle of a city work against that. For now I will have to look at pictures and close my eyes, ;)
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”