Demons into Allies Meditation

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
Shireside

Demons into Allies Meditation

Post by Shireside »

I found this meditative rite recently on a rather posh hotel's webpage, of all places. Though I haven't put it into practice just yet, the rite goes a few steps further than a mere self-help meditation. To define the powers of disturbance within yourself and to meet eyes with them, to engage with them in a sort of spirit transmutation that elevates you past simple frustration with the problem and into a working rapport with a helpful familiar entity... It seems like a worthwhile endeavor, to me.

The following is copied from the website, with a link to the full article at the end.

Define Your Demons

The first step is to locate the demon within your body. As with any type of Eastern meditation, the most important thing is to cultivate a sense of purpose and to define a motivation for the practice. This may begin with a creative block, a work or partner problem, or a trauma. In the meditation posture that most suits you, you should feel yourself in your body and ask: “In what part of the body is this demon localized? What shape does it take?” From there, try to sense its color, its texture, and any other clue that your imagination dictates, allowing yourself to be carried away by the sensation. This can be unpleasant at times because it is a matter of “feeding” the negative emotion to the point where one feels it vividly within the body.

Personify the Demon

The next step is the personification of the demon: imagine it departing your body and taking on a body shape of its own. Try to imagine down to the smallest details: a face, (if it has one), and it’s facial expression. Does it have a gender? Clothing? An emotional state? Then, ask the following of the demon: “What do you want? What do you need? How will you feel when you get what you really need?”

With your eyes closed, try to change places with the demon: imagine yourself in its place, feeling what the demon feels, and seeing from the demon’s perspective. Answer the above questions using the voice and emotions that the devil wakes up: “What I want is … What I really need is … When I get what I really need I’ll feel …”.

Stay with the Demon

Finally, we need to try to convert the demon into an ally. Return to your own body and imagine the demon in front of you, dissolving your own body into a “nectar.” Like the nectar of flowers, the nectar you become has the quality of being both the food and the emotion of what the demon really needs. Imagine the demon feeding on this nectar and nourishing itself until it is completely satisfied. During the process, notice how the demon is transformed by ingesting what was needed. Once satisfied, you may feel a change in the presence of the demon. If this is the case, ask: “Are you an ally?” If an ally has not appeared, invite this new one to appear in front of you.

With this ally, you now need to ask the same set of questions you asked of the demon, with the previous emotional connection: “How will you help me? How will you protect me? What promise will you make to me? How can I reach you?”

Change places with your ally, and answer the questions using your own voice and gestures, just as you’d done with the demon. Now imagine that the ally dissolves within light, and within yourself. Notice the color, the temperature, and how the luminosity enters every cell of your body. Once this is done, allow yourself to be dissolved in the sensation and then rest in the new and renewed awareness of the great work you’ve just done.

http://www.faena.com/aleph/articles/tra ... to-allies/
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
Tutmosis

Re: Demons into Allies Meditation

Post by Tutmosis »

I've heard of this from a friend of mine, but my biggest hang up was that this meditation could end up increasing the potency of your worst qualities. Personally, I don't recommend it
Shireside

Re: Demons into Allies Meditation

Post by Shireside »

I agree that, to be effective, the individual ought to be in a state of mind where they are ready to confront their Shadow(s). The intent must be very clear, and one must be able to rise above the base angst and bitterness that feeds these qualities, and to view themselves more objectively.
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”