Feeling disconnected and can't focus?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
WitchyMermaid95

Feeling disconnected and can't focus?

Post by WitchyMermaid95 »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to meditation and I've started by sitting and simply counting my breath, sometimes I breathe for 2 minutes sometimes for 10, however, I've noticed that my mind wanders fairly quickly and I just can't seem to make any sort of connection. When I am able to calm my mind enough to sit through the entire meditation and really focus on my breath, I just don't really feel and different during or after the meditation.

I’ve stopped and started meditating several times and now it's something I feel I really need and want to make a habit. I want to feel more focused, grounded and to deal with my stress better but I don't see it becoming a regular thing for me if I'm not feeling the benefits... :|

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to feel more connected to my spirit or even just to feel something when meditating?

Thanks all!
*Witchy Mermaid*

The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper...
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Feeling disconnected and can't focus?

Post by SpiritTalker »

You've made a start. The breathing calms us down. It's normal for our minds to wander and it helps to give our mind something to do. We get bored. In order to stay focussed, you need to have something to focus on. So...you just need to start exploring your inner landscape and see where the trail leads. Add on one additional practice at a time until you feel comfortable with it. And don't strain over it.

Some people chant (like:Isis, Astarte, Dione, Hekete, Demeter, Kali, Inanna) or recite repetitive prayers.

Some people visualize and mentally build their secret hideaway, place of power, or astral temple. By always imagining going to the same place to meditate, we build a powerful connection.

Centering or drawing into the quiet spot within, puts us in touch with our own inner knowing, where we can intuitively iron out issues we have in life simply by quietly asking a question, and holding position in center until the answer comes. If it doesnt come soon, we can tell ourselves to dream it later. With practice, center becomes a jumping off point to traveling meditations.

Within center, we can review things we've read and get insight. We can envision scenarios of what our priorities, tasks & behavior needs to be to accomplish a goal.

Contemplation is another step you could explore. Calling in the Presence of that which IS and sitting together in silence for about 3 minutes can rock.

Edit: speaking of "rocks" you can center and explore a favorite stone while you hold it.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

I call it monkey brain.
You try to meditate, and your brain just wont be still. It wants to remind you of all the worrisome and worldly issues of the day.
Its TOTALLY OK and totally normal for a beginner. Say thank you to your monkey..... you trained it to do this to you, and it is only following its training.

Remember this; it took a while to teach your brain to think and speak.
Its also gonna take a while to teach your brain to be still and listen.

Be patient. And be forgiving of the damn monkey. Your brain will learn.

The VERY best learning technique that was ever shared with me is to focus on the 'space between the words'
Here's how it is used;

Pick a phrase you have deeply deeply memorized. I started with The Lords Prayer, because I was still a fallen christian trying to change lanes on my spiritual highway when I started meditating. I was a long way from my current Pagan Way. Now I use the first line of the wiccan creed, even though I'm not exactly wiccan either... it just fits, and that's good enough.

Begin your meditation, however you choose. single flame, music, babbling water, breathing control... whatever suits you. Let the monkey brain take over a couple times.... don't forget you spent a LONG time teaching the monkey to take control. You even made the monkey your most trusted ally a long long time ago. Be patient with your monkey. Once it has come and gone a couple times, slowly say the first word of your 'phrase' and as the word ends, slip into silent peace and nothingness. It is powerful, even if that empty, monkey free gap only lasts for a moment or a fraction of a second. As the monkey starts to realize you've left the door open, and it realizes that it should retake control, simply say the second word and the monkey will hesitate for a second or two. repeat with the third word, forth, etc.

It wont be long before your monkey learns, and then it will only take two or three of the words to put the monkey completely to sleep, and you've transcended. Eventually it will only take one word, and for most people they evolve that word into the long breath ohm.

This technique put a jet engine on my progression, and within only a few days, I was fully transcendent for at least a few moments EVERY time I meditated.

For more info on this way, read Wayne Dyer's book; Getting in the Gap
https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Gap-Cons ... e+dyer+gap

This is what worked for me.
Completely changed my life.

Best of luck. Don't give up. It will come to you... I personally promise.

Pallando the Blue
Shireside

Post by Shireside »

^ Thank you, Pallando, for a super helpful contribution. Learning how to chill out and meditate--taken by me as a necessary precursor to the intense focus needed for much worthwhile spellcraft--has been a pretty gnarly roadblock for me. I've read SO MUCH on the subject, and I've tried methods from straight-up mindfulness to Liber Null to Robin Artisson and elsewise, but this monkey business clicks well with me.

Sweet stuff.
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I went through this for awhile.

I'm not over it 100% in my opinion because I still can't reach a specific state I had reached once.
Still bugs me I can't get back to this place I reached in meditation.
The last time I meditated I tried using physical repetition. I was in lotus pose with hands palm up on knees and started touching my thumb to index finger and then down the line and repeat. I didn't speed it up or anything. Just tried to maintain a consistent rhythm with my breathing and the physical repetition.

after about 40 minutes I realized that I couldn't tell if I had fallen asleep or if I was still sitting up. I was in a very deep limbo. Almost disconnected. Very disoriented, but after I worked my way back to feeling the floor and hearing the sounds of the house and knowing that I was still sitting up and so on I felt very refreshed and...I don't know how to describe it. Very whole. I was conscious of my whole self for a bit. The calm that I gained from that lasted quite a while..weeks.

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”