Starting a Yoga Practice

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
breaddd

Starting a Yoga Practice

Post by breaddd »

I was thinking about starting a yoga practice recently, but I honestly don't know to go about it. I'm not keen on the idea of going to a yoga class, especially since there are none that I know of near the small town I live in. http://www.yogajournal.com has been helpful to read, but I thought I'd get some varied opinions and thoughts on it.

What methods would you suggest? What could I read to help me? What experiences have you had?
When in doubt, consult the nearest tree.
moonraingirl

Re: Starting a Yoga Practice

Post by moonraingirl »

Highly recommend this book https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Hatha-Yo ... 097070061X
It's quite heavy on the science-medical side but he provides some excellent advice on proper performance of basic asanas so that you know you do them safely and effectively. The author is a medical doctor, a professor of anatomy if I remember correctly and a long-term practicioner of yoga, so he is really qualified to write a book like this.
It contains A LOT of anatomy, a bit too detailed for my taste but you can always skip that and get right into techniques.

General advice is that you should always balance asnas, for example when you do forward bend you have to do backward bend, too. When you exercise one side, you have to do the other side. Try to exercise with your breath, it helps a lot. Don't rush it. When you are stretching, it should hurt a bit, but not too much.
On youtube, there are channels such as Yoga with Adriene and Eckhart yoga. which are beginner friendly.
breaddd

Post by breaddd »

Thank you so much! You helped me a lot :D
When in doubt, consult the nearest tree.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

you're welcome :)

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”