How do you deal with repeating negative thoughts?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
moonraingirl

How do you deal with repeating negative thoughts?

Post by moonraingirl »

Do any of you experience this? Thinking about certain negative experience- even if it was relatively small and unimportant- over and over again, making yourself miserable and more miserable for hours, days, years, depending on seriousness of the negative event? The situation may be long gone and not affecting you in any way now but you still think about it and think what should have been done differently?

Is there any psychological advice for this? Or a specific meditation technique?
YanaKhan

Re: How do you deal with repeating negative thoughts?

Post by YanaKhan »

This happens to me every now and again. I hate it - it's dragging me down and even brings feelings long forgotten, that I have to fight to get over again. And I too dwell and drill on it until I just get really irritated with myself for even remembering it.

Running and listening to music helps me. I mean, both at the same time. I've learned over the years that sports do you good - body and soul that is. When awfully tired, I can't really think about bad things (or good things for that matter :D ). Also, dancing to good music - just switches me off.

I often do a spell to get rid of negative thoughts, I've posted it before, try and search the forum - it helps me a lot.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yeh,those mind traps are the pits. It's a downward spiral. It has to be recognized as an old groove in the psychic vinyl record, dug deep because of it's perceived impact. To stop it...mentally take control the moment it's observed. Transmogrify.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit for brevity
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I think that's a secondary effect of the OCD. We are incredibly moticulous about some things and this might be ine of them. We are obsessed with it untill it comes put the way we want it. Time can't be turned around (or at least, we can't) and we keep obsessing about it, untill we forget ( thank Goodness our brain can't remember everything forever).
It happens to me too; in fact, I had problns falling asleep because of something that happened last year and did not make a major change in my relationship with that person. Still, my mind has a problem with it and keeps rewinding everything.

I usually retake the whole action in my head and let it go the way I wish it had and when I feel it's done, I just create my own story (on a different subject) or just project myself in my dream-world. It usually also follows me into my dream and lucid dreaming helps.

When something is really stressful, trying to calm your body and then refusing to think about that again can help, at least untill you fall asleep.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

YanaKhan wrote:I often do a spell to get rid of negative thoughts, I've posted it before, try and search the forum - it helps me a lot.
Yana, is this the spell you were talking about?
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 28647.html
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

You're definitely right, exercise and being outside on fresh air must definitely help.
I love that spell with the rock, YanaKhan! So simple but I can imagine it has to be very powerful if you can find the rock. I don't know of any suitable rock nearby, but hopefully it can work with ground or a tree, too? Or just find a small rock to hold in hand...
It must definitely be a part of OCD I think. And that's why I invented my imaginary world :) But sometimes I'm so focused on negativity that I literally forget about the option to escape there.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Bychan Wulf wrote:
YanaKhan wrote:I often do a spell to get rid of negative thoughts, I've posted it before, try and search the forum - it helps me a lot.
Yana, is this the spell you were talking about?
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 28647.html
Yes, this is the spell, thank you for doing the search :)
Like I said in the original thread, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work if altered - the idea behind it was borrowed from a book, I would love to see if it works with a smaller rock or with placing your hands on the ground or on a tree.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Perhaps best tackled with patience. A lot like meditation, rather then shut the thoughts out, acknowledge them, accept them and encourage it to move on without investing anything in them - because we are not our thoughts.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Acknowledge may be a good tactics. It works quite well with anxiety attacks for me. I mean, if I acknowledge it, the attack lasts a couple of minutes - half an hour compared to couple of hours in the past.
I will try it with repeating thoughts, I'm curious if it will work.

Yesterday, we had a beautiful fog. I see mountains from balcony and they were so magical with the fog. So I went on balcony and pretended screaming. I opened my mouth and let the air out while staying quiet. It was actually quite fun and it helped me.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

YanaKhan wrote:Running and listening to music helps me. I mean, both at the same time. I've learned over the years that sports do you good - body and soul that is. When awfully tired, I can't really think about bad things (or good things for that matter :D ). Also, dancing to good music - just switches me off.
I like the idea of tiring yourself untill you can't concntrate on the negativity any more. It might work better than the others on me. Definitely gonna try it ;-)
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

moonraingirl wrote:Acknowledge may be a good tactics. It works quite well with anxiety attacks for me. I mean, if I acknowledge it, the attack lasts a couple of minutes - half an hour compared to couple of hours in the past.

I will try it with repeating thoughts, I'm curious if it will work.
When I say don't invest in thoughts, it's perhaps best to think of thoughts in this case as an "inward sense" in the way smell is an "outward sense" - you are not your nose, you don't agonize over what you smell and why you smell it, try doing the same with thoughts - repeat thoughts are ghosts - persistant echos - the more we invest in them though worry, the more energy give them, keeping them vital and "alive". We reinforce their negativity.

If you simply can't ignore them and let them pass on, perhaps try another way; try twisting them; engineer something positive out of them.

Change the polarity?
Hagerman420

Post by Hagerman420 »

moonraingirl wrote:Do any of you experience this? Thinking about certain negative experience- even if it was relatively small and unimportant- over and over again, making yourself miserable and more miserable for hours, days, years, depending on seriousness of the negative event? The situation may be long gone and not affecting you in any way now but you still think about it and think what should have been done differently?

Is there any psychological advice for this? Or a specific meditation technique?

Sounds like a form of Anxiety, I suffer from Severe Anxiety and I am always overthinking things that do not need to have so much time consumed upon.

I am always thinking of at least 10 different scenarios that could play out then I think about each individual scenario that could possibly play out and it gets that much worse.....

I don't have a cure as of yet, I still overthink on a lot of issues haha. I am learning though.... will just take time.

Have a Good Day.
Be Happy Stay Happy :)

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”