Must have altar items.

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

What? About my dad?
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

nothing, that you think he has a mental issue.
Lark

Post by Lark »

Unless you're working in a specific Tradition that says that you must have X, Y, and Z on your altar, it is pretty much up to you as to what you want to have on there. And then your choice would depend on what Pagan path you're following. For example a Wiccan altar would not look much like one that belongs to an Asatruar.

The important thing if you are working as a solitary is to think about what you want on your altar, why you want it, and what it symbolizes. Once you understand those things you can find all sort of items that you can use..much like you substituted the red pen for the traditional red candle.

I have a travelling altar that packs into a wooden cigar box. It holds four glass candle holders in the elemental colors, a tiny soapstone incense holder with some cone incense, a soapstone dish of salt, a small wine glass, a tiny black-handled knive, and a silk scarf I use as an altar cloth. But those items are all predicated on the fact that I am Wiccan and they have meaning to me as a Wiccan.

My permanent altar is very different since it is used primarily for honoring my Patron Deities all of whom are of the Egyptian pantheon. So it contains items that would have been used historically in their worship.

If you can find a copy, the book "Circles, Groves, and Sanctuaries" is a very good one for discussing altars, etc.

-Lark-
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

nothing, that you think he has a mental issue.
That's what me, my sister, and my mom think. I beleive as a kid his home life wasn't too great. I doesn't talk to his dad unless his dad calls. He only talks to his sibblings if he or they want something, or if it's an emergency. If I was him I might have issuses too.
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

wel thats understandable, but it is probly nothing a therapuist cant fix.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

He hates doctors of any kind, that's why his teeth are so bad.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Hopefully my mom will dump his ass, although she still hasn't done anything about his behavior. How did we start talking about my dad? :?
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

you said, that you think he has mental issues.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Oh, right! :)
Smolly

Post by Smolly »

therap isnt always the way to go. if he was into this sort of stuff then i would have suggested reiki healing.
my mum didnt have a very good childhood which then somehow made a block between me and her ( i guess its because we are quite alike) but it ended up in me having counselling and then mum going reiki, but since then its much better. but i have to thank the goddess that mum is so open. otherwise things would have got worse and i have no idea what she would have done to my altar :?

so yeah im lucky, i have a tall circular table with little tucked away shelves where i can store my books, extra candles, incense, any form of divination etc. on my altar its has a white lace cloth with a blue pentacle in the center which i had cut out from a bandana. i have a big thick white candle repreasenting my god/goddess. normally its just decorated full of things i find and i place them where they best fit the elements.
i have a mortar and pestle in the center also (simply because i cant fit it on a shelf and i sometimes use it as a pot pourri bowl.) and my tarot deck (in a carved wooden box) just infront of that.
just put things on there that are meaning to you and that you also can feel repreasent what you want them to repreasent, thats my opinion.
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

Well, lotsa ppl arent into reiki, my dad is a reiki master, he got many people out of severe depression, but you have to be near the person and some ppl dont want an envasion of their space.
WolfWitch

Post by WolfWitch »

An Athame is not nessesary but most prefer them. A wand may be substituted if you prefer.

Athame's are usualy a double edged blade of some persuasion but really, if the knife calls to you and you look at it and KNOW, that it's your Athame, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

As for items needed. A pentacle, reprisentations of diety. (I'm working on having my mentor make a pair for me as he is good with stained glass.) Chalice, incense burner, offering plate, Candles. For the most part though, it's a very personal thing. You make the alter to suit you and your relationship with the divine.

Good luck and Blessed wishes.

WW.
The greatest advice I was ever given: It matters not what you believe. Only that you believe it wholeheartedly.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re:must have altar items

Post by SpiritTalker »

old topic, often asked - i have never really had a real, permanent altar until today so i need some items and it is a small altar so i need the necessity items, what would you suggest?

. Working altars use symbols of the Elements to manifest & to balance energies.
💭Air -🥢 incense or substitute aerosol mist instead of smoke; holder or bowl
🔥Fire -🕯candles or battery-type, heat safe 🥣 bowl for small burning tasks
✨Ether - ⚱️ Oil to anoint - transfer & hold a psychic charge⚡️
💦Water-🍷potion cup ☕️ or bowl
🪨Earth -🧂Salt for purification
. 🙌🏽 Direct power with your hands 👉🏼

🕯
🍷🧂 . . ⚱️🥢
🥣 ..

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”