Self Made Tools Of Mine

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
EveningWithAstaroth

Self Made Tools Of Mine

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Hi.

I have a few tools I made myself I thought I would share. I practice currently my own form of Wicca, I have no idea what I would classify it as, or if it indeed does have a classification. Born of this practice I have made a few tools of my own, currently they do not get as much use as they should I feel. This is due because I like to practice simple, but would also like to incorporate these tools into my practice, have had some difficulty doing this.

Anyway, will attempt to post images of these tools I have been working on.

This is a photo of my self made wand. I had found the Crow feather, and the Turkey feather had been given to me as a gift. I added a couple stones I had on hand that someone had given me, that I really liked. Tied the feathers myself with embroidery thread. One flat stone I glued at the base of the handle, and the other I glued towards the tip of the wand.

This is a photo of the staff I made. I made it out of a branch I had found that I practiced using for dowsing. The anthracite coal at the top of the staff I had found with the branch while dowsing. I tied a blue ribbon around the staff and added a brown Turkey feather, not visible in the photo is that I stuck a blue feather sticker onto the turkey feather (real) itself. I also wrapped a bit of red floral wire at the top, and added a self embroidered red and blue star design at the base.

This is a photo of another self made wand, but I had decided it to be for more of a specific intent, and a lot simpler. It is a rose stem cut from a rose bush in my garden out back. I left all thorns on but those closer to what I have termed the base, so I have a place at the base for holding relatively thorn free. I then burned to blacken in several areas with a lighter, for a slightly burned look, and then it has been hung on the window curtain two months for complete drying.

So those are a few of self made tools I have been working on.

I feel more of a personal connection to things in which I fashion myself.

Just thought I would share. Perhaps others have tools of their own they've made they would like to share.
T'a Nuk

Re: Self Made Tools Of Mine

Post by T'a Nuk »

Very nice. You should be proud of your work. Do you live in the countryside where you can gather materials?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I love natural wands. I've had mine for eons.
EveningWithAstaroth

Hi.

Thank you both for your responses.

Ta' Nuk- I actually live within a town. I gather materials such as the wood I use from around the neighborhood. When a dead branch falls from a tree at times I will pick it up and take it home, and give it a drying period if it is relatively wet before I work on it, and if dry begin work. I often choose branches that look somewhat in likeness of their intended purpose. The coal on the staff I actually found and dug up in my back yard. I use a mixture of natural objects, and man made materials such as the embroidery thread used to tie feathers. The down fall of town living is there is usually someone driving by or out and about while I am picking up a random branch, or feather, or stone. I either wait for them to pass, or if the number of people is many I will do what I am doing and go about my business anyway.

SpiritTalker- Yes I really enjoy the tools more so when I make them myself, store bought holds less appeal for me, gifted items, are my second favorite- because they are gifts- from heart. My father gave me an athame or ceremonial dagger which I like quite a bit. Store bought tools do not seem to have the same type of energy to me.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Very good. We are all advised to hand craft as many of our tools as we can especially our wand and staff. The wand is personalized as to size, shape and design. The wood should be from a living fruit tree or Willow. The length should be as long as your arm from tip of longest finger to your elbow. We should ask permission from the dryad of the tree prior to cutting the branch. Peel the bark the same day you cut the branch and wrap it in silk or linin to dry for 30 days. Smooth it with fine sandpaper and rub in several coats of linseed oil then polish it with beeswax. Find a crystal (meaningful to you) the same diameter as the tip of your wand. Attach the crystal with melted pine resin. (epoxy if you wish) Cap the other end with a small flat crystal or a round rare earth magnet. You may wish to engrave your magickal name on the wand using Theban Rune script. When finished and properly consecrated (touching earth stone, incense smoke air, candle flame fire, water and exposing to light of a full moon ((Spirit)) you will never allow any other to touch your wand and it should be stored in it's own case with a sprig of White Sage nesting around the tip crystal. Over years of ritual use the wand becomes a reservoir or accumulator of magickal energies that you will not wish to discharge or dissipate by improper storage or by others touching it.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
EveningWithAstaroth

Recently I've made a few adjustments to my staff, and have worked on that periodically.

I've added some stones, a string of beads (Prayer) and as well have added a St. Benedict's Medal and attached that to it as well.

I do have an updated image of the staff currently as it is :

I also have another tool here I use very often, moreso than many other tools I have been involved with making for magic and ritual.

This is a gratitude/ prayer bowl I have recently put together. I've used colored plastic beads in the colors I use within much of my altar spaces, and some of my rituals. I've also put within the bowl the last bit of rose petals I had left and 3 cinnamon sticks I had left from herbal shopping. In the center I've placed a small red tea-light candle. I use tools like this as a reminder to be grateful, and the candle is lit at certain times, usually when I deem fit. If used in prayer instead of gratitude the tool then is used differently, usually if the candle is lit in prayer, it is certain this candle is being lit for someone else, in ceremonial prayer and quietude. The praying is usually silent, meaning there are no recitations involved, and silence is at the time being observed. Thinking of blessings for the individual is done, or thinking of aid for them.

Here is the bowl:

There is another that I have that looks different and instead of a bowl a candy dish is used, but the general idea remains the same, differing items, being set in certain areas, containing a single gratitude and prayer candle.

I have a much more elaborate candle I use for manifesting work as well but this is larger and is set up in a way that I personally consider it more of a shrine- yet somehow still consider it a tool.

Suppose it actually doubles as both.

Merely an update. I have also updated my rose stem wand a bit as well, but do not currently have a photo of it.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hey just looking at the photos & I have the same star shaped dish (I'd bet a lot of us do) & with stones in it too. That's a beautiful egg shaped rock. :)
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

wow those are really cool
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
EveningWithAstaroth

Hi guys.

Apologies for the bump.

I am posting as I have currently been attempting work on another self made wand, I feel more tuned with. I much enjoyed my old rose stem wand until I added some paint to it. Then realized... I didn't get along well with the paint I added. :evilwitch:

This new one, I feel more inclined to use, as it emphasizes in my view more of my personal views. The rose stem wand was intended for a different use to begin with anyway, I still love it, but am not too impressed with the decorative aspect I added.

And that is my intent for writing now. I would like to decorate this new wand I am working on, but perhaps could use some suggestions?

I would like to add shells or sea glass but do not currently have good glue at my disposal. I am wondering if there is a way to attach shells without glue?

Sea glass is a different matter. May require more creative thinking, and glue. I would also need to find smaller pieces of sea glass. Those I currently have are too big.

Perhaps other decorative items could be used?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated and welcome.

I will add a couple photos now of the work in progress:

EveningWithAstaroth

SpiritTalker wrote:Hey just looking at the photos & I have the same star shaped dish (I'd bet a lot of us do) & with stones in it too. That's a beautiful egg shaped rock. :)
Thank you. Yes the star shaped dish. I have found more dishes like this at the local dollar store. I currently no longer have that stone in it, and currently use it to hold tea-light candles- those lit and blown out for re-use later.
nightshroud wrote:wow those are really cool
Thank you nightshroud. :)
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

I often use string to attach embellishments as the tying and wrapping can add a decorative element with color, knots, and style of wrap. Jeweler's wire is a good choice as well. It is cheap and comes in many colors and sizes. Shells can be easily etched with a small hole if you apply some patience. Glass can be broken into smaller pieces and the sharp edges simply ground off on a rough rock. Drilling glass is tough though and needs special tools. Wire is a good choice there too. There are some cool examples on youtube showing simple mounting techniques with wire, stones, glass, etc.
I hope this helps.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

I used some thin copper wire for my last wand, thinking of using some hardy twine for my staff for durability but try and avoid plastic coating
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker wrote:Hey just looking at the photos & I have the same star shaped dish (I'd bet a lot of us do) & with stones in it too. That's a beautiful egg shaped rock. :)
EveningWithAstaroth wrote: Yes the star shaped dish. I have found more dishes like this at the local dollar store
:D :D :D hahahahaha!
this is one of my favorite dishes! indeed the dollar store... Thank goodness for the dollar store :shock: I have found that exactly 6 votive candles will fit in this dish. I really like the heart shaped one too.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
EveningWithAstaroth

T'a Nuk wrote:I often use string to attach embellishments as the tying and wrapping can add a decorative element with color, knots, and style of wrap. Jeweler's wire is a good choice as well. It is cheap and comes in many colors and sizes. Shells can be easily etched with a small hole if you apply some patience. Glass can be broken into smaller pieces and the sharp edges simply ground off on a rough rock. Drilling glass is tough though and needs special tools. Wire is a good choice there too. There are some cool examples on youtube showing simple mounting techniques with wire, stones, glass, etc.
I hope this helps.
Thank you Ta Nuk for the ideas and thoughts. Jewelry wire sounds like something I could very much use, I'll have to take a look around, next time I am out shopping for supplies.
Ashrend wrote:I used some thin copper wire for my last wand, thinking of using some hardy twine for my staff for durability but try and avoid plastic coating
Thank you Ashrend. Lately I have been using floral wire which is what the arrow-head in the photo is attached with.
firebirdflys wrote:
EveningWithAstaroth wrote: Yes the star shaped dish. I have found more dishes like this at the local dollar store
:D :D :D hahahahaha!
this is one of my favorite dishes! indeed the dollar store... Thank goodness for the dollar store :shock: I have found that exactly 6 votive candles will fit in this dish. I really like the heart shaped one too.
BB, FF
Ah yes the dollar store. I love this store to be honest. I like to check out a small section that holds seeds- if I need seeds for growing. I am also able to find olive oil- for herbal oils, vinegar- for well whatever we witchy folks use vinegar for ( :wink2: ), and I love decorating my altar top, and area with blue and red. During the 4th of July I can find blue and red candle lanterns, brewing bottles, candle holders etc, everywhere. As well as dishes, plates on and on.

They keep ribbon in stock often enough as well.

Candles....incense... all the essentials. :lol:
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Some Witches use natural adhesives like pine sap pitch or bees wax.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”