About the Chalice

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Shadee

About the Chalice

Post by Shadee »

Hello ^^

I've taken slow steps towards practice lately. I've been told that Wicca wasn't a treasure chase, and so I shouldn't rush to get all the tools at once. Therefore, I've been learning slowly about the wand first, for I felt attracted to it. After I was sure I understood its use and symbols, I went out to find one. And I have no regrets doing so.

Now, I feel attracted to the chalice, or cup. It has a mystical and feminine aura that I like, and yet it's also a bit intimidating. When I meditate about it, I find myself standing on its edge, looking down its watery depths. I feel like there is something about it that I'm not getting...

The chalice is used to hold the ritual drink. It is also used for the Great Rite, symbolizing the Goddess while the athame of the God penetrates her. We pass it to each other, wishing "May you never thirst". That much I know.

But, is there something else...? I really have the feeling that I'm missing something important. And I don't want to add the chalice to my altar if I don't understand it fully...

Any ideas?
corvidus

Re: About the Chalice

Post by corvidus »

You're correct that it's symbolic of the Divine Feminine, but I'll add that it also correspondence to the water elemet. If you research the Euchrist ceremony, you'll fid out more about the use of the chalice.

In the Christian tradition, it is analogous to the Holy Grail.
Shadee

Post by Shadee »

What is it with all the water in my spiritual life lately...? ^^" Maybe I should try to get more confident with this element before I try anything with its tools...
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just an aside, the chalice can also be used for brewing simples and for gazing at the Moon's reflection on the contents, or simply for water gazing divination.
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

In some Eastern systems the chalice is viewed as a symbol of abundance and when a chalice, bowl, or cup is passed to a guest, it is filled to overflow. A beautiful tradition.
Shadee

Post by Shadee »

SpiritTalker wrote:Just an aside, the chalice can also be used for brewing simples and for gazing at the Moon's reflection on the contents, or simply for water gazing divination.
That's intriguing... I've seen myself gazing in its depths in my meditation, not drinking from it or anything. Maybe this is what I've missed...!

Thanks to you all. I think I'll try to find myself my first ritual cup. And I might try gazing at the Moon with it as well...
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Your wand is best hand crafted by yourself. "Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard" Oberon Zell-Ravenheart. Page 104.

It is recommended that we search for old magickal tools at yard sales or flea markets, etc. These are usually of better quality (some hand crafted) then mass produced new items. These must be purified by burying them over night. Your search for appropriate tools that strike a cord with you is a grand adventure. Enjoy the journey and find peace, power and enlightenment.

Goddess Bless
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”