Storage

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
CircusWitch

Storage

Post by CircusWitch »

I guess this is kind of two mini topics. The first is the storage of altar tools. I was looking into the very simple basics of what each tool is used for and the website I was using for reference said that all tools should be stored on the altar as putting them in a box would be disrespectful. I don't have masses of space and so my original intent was indeed to put them in a box before and after - will that be a problem? Will it be any less of a problem if I always use the same box(es)?

Also I saw a topic of someone saying they don't like to use unnatural materials in their practice. Whilst that makes sense and will probably be very easy for tools does it matter for storing oils/potions/ingredients? I was going to try and put some water out under the full moon (turns out I got the date wrong and missed it, grr) and the easiest way to do that would be in plastic bottles as I don't have any closeable glass ones. Would that be okay?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Storage

Post by SpiritTalker »

Storing our tools is entirely a personal choice and beliefs will differ. To me tools are sacred when they are within an active circle and in use. I store them in a wooden box to protect the energy I've built into them. Protecting tools is an act of respect IMO. The wand doesn’t fit the box so stays with my altar.

My few oil & tinctures are kept in non-absorbing glass on spice racks in the kitchen. Herbs are in the jars they came in from the store. I like recycled, small baby food jars for spell containers. I'll do the messy spell preparation at my kitchen counter for convenience & then take it to the altar to be finished.

Full moon influence covers the day before, day of & day after full. :D
CircusWitch

Post by CircusWitch »

Oh, thank you so much for the knowledge about the full moon, I was quite miffed with myself thinking I'd missed it! I'm aware that plastic isn't great for storing some things from a practical standpoint as it can absorb stuff, I was mostly just wondering if it would be okay to use to store a big plastic bottle of water outside for using with the moon so I'd get a lot of water. Thanks for your help (also, on a bit of a tangent, would you recommend placing the water outside or next to a window to catch the moon?)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Outside is best because some of the light would bounce off window glass & be lost.
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Have you considered storing some items in shadow boxes that could be hung? Only a suggestion and probably better for smaller items, but figured if you'd like to store in boxes this may also save on floor and closet space.

Like SpiritTalker pointed out storage is a personal preference most usually and is often determined accordance to needs, what is readily available needs to be an open areas, what isn't being used currently or is not readily needed at the altar.

Space does determine a lot. I have been utilizing my creativity in coming up with storage. I have witch bottles- the type used for brewing beers- though not what I intend for them- hung on my window frame on either side and a couple on the bottom frame of the window. They are up out of the way, and do not take any needed table space.

I have a knick knack cabinet with a door and a back mirror inside I am considering using for storage, I haven't yet worked out all the details on my ideas for it.

Essentially we do what is applicable and what works best. I do not see a need to hold to any fast rule that one must keep all supplies and tools on the altar. If that were the case I would have a hard time of having a neat table. Not only do I have ritual supplies, but I do have things about that are decoration as well. I need all thee table space I can utilize, and I even have certain things like various bells put away in a closet, among other decorations that are not ready for visible cycle.

My advice is to use whichever storage technique or idea that works best for you and your needs and forget some of what the websites say lol. After all Wicca/Spirituality is highly personal. Do what you find you are comfortable with.

As for water and oil storage I must agree also with SpiritTalker here. I had previously been storing homemade holy water in a small plastic scented perfume spray bottle and have made the upgrade to a small corked glass bottle I had. I must say the difference is remarkable. The temperature of the water is quite a bit cooler, and I can not help to feel it is meant to be this way, like when first putting on a lotion and it is cold to your skin.

The plastic didn't quite have the same feel, felt warmer. If it is warm it is possible it will do damage to any plant based and other materials.

But, with all due respect we all have a budget, if plastic containers or one transportable plastic container fits your needs that is just how it is.

Thank you for posting this thought provoking topic. Perhaps it will help with a few storage ideas of my own.

Blessings.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Anthousa,
When you grocery shop get some things in glass jars that appeal to you.
You can re-use them until you find a few "special" jars !
I've been getting candles at "dollar store", the ones in jars, and they are
getting more creative with the jars. Just a suggestion
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”