Ordinary Rock as a Tool

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Ordinary Rock as a Tool

Post by SpiritTalker »

Plain, ordinary rocks we find just laying around on the ground can be very useful. They are of-Earth and can act as symbols for the Earth element...with or without dirt stuck to them. A stone from a flowing stream, river or the sea can represent Water because the motion of the water has shaped it. They can be symbols of Goddess and God, and painted with their signs.

A nice flat one can serve as the pentacle for consecrations and to empower charms, potions and magical workings. It can be left as Nature made it or painted with the star, or other signs.

A rock from your favorite, "special" place is a link to that location and all that you associate with it. Placed on the altar, it brings that extra magic to your working area. A stone from "home" becomes a hearth-stone, and a central feature of an altar. Offerings can be placed on it, or water dribbled over it, as an offering to the Earth.

A palm-stone that fits your hand just right can be held to help you ground when you are over- excited, or spacey. You can channel your feelings into it when you need clarity. It can be warmed between your palms and then rubbed "where it hurts" to ease aches and pains. It can hold the thought and intention of a spell when placed amongst other working spell items, like along side a candle or dusted with herbs of your spell, or soaked in your potion. A stone holds the last instruction it is given. And better still if the stone has bits of quartz in it.

Stones can be written on with erasable pencil or permanent Sharpie pens to hold a name and "be" a person or goal for whom a spell is being worked.

And a stone can teach you things when you tune your intuitive mind to it and listen, or feel.

Stones have (+) active, Solar, male energy, or (-) passive, Lunar, female energy. Use a pendulum to determine which polarity a stone has. Use the solar stones for dominance, overcoming and repelling, short-term tasks as the Sun's cycle repeats daily; and use Lunar stones for nurturing, psi, attraction and long-term tasks as the Moon's cycle is monthly.

Cleanse stones by placing solar stones in sunlight and lunar stones in moonlight. Awaken them with a slap. If a stone is not water soluble (kyanite & selenite can be damaged by water) then you can hold a stone under flowing tap water, or lay it in any natural moving water. Cleansing serves to clear it and reset it's polarity when it has completed it's task. Set it in some mint to refresh it's zing, and it's good to go.
smogie_michele

Re: Ordinary Rock as a Tool

Post by smogie_michele »

I love this post! I keep rocks, acorns, and tiny pinecones from my favorite areas near my altar.

I like to "give" random stones my negative feelings. If I am having a particularly bad day, I will put all my bad thoughts into the stone, then bury it into the earth to recharge and become positive once again.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

smogie_michele wrote:I love this post! I keep rocks, acorns, and tiny pinecones from my favorite areas near my altar.

I like to "give" random stones my negative feelings. If I am having a particularly bad day, I will put all my bad thoughts into the stone, then bury it into the earth to recharge and become positive once again.
I also love this post, as I love your way iof coping with a bad day. Would you mind if I tried that myself?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I have my stone dump beneath a lilac bush in my yard, where I place stones for long term re-connection with the earth. And I've done that emotion-feed into the stone thing too. It does clear the cooties.
samikcha

Post by samikcha »

I wanted to really ask you about a stone as a tool when I read your reply to a certain "Samhain post" and thank you so much ...it is really helpful because I tried my best to find info on this topic but it showed nothing about ordinary stones. Thank you:)

love love love:*
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm happy it was helpful.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bumping this up for newb.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

What an interesting post. I like the idea of using ordinary rocks. In some cases it may be better to use an ordinary rock from a special place that has meaning for you compared to mass produced gemstones. Somehow the idea of using an ordinary rock feels more real or authentic to me.

BTW while people in the West were usually more interested in colour and glitter of gemstones, in China and Japan they didn't care much about those, but valued interesting shapes. When you picture a zen garden, you notice that they use plain rocks instead of gemstones.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

STROKING STONES

Any palm sized, flat stone that you can comfortably hold can be used for healing. The stone can be air-stroked above the injury and a healing chant spoken. And for long distance healing, hold the stone in one hand and stroke with the other; keep it up and stroke the stone as though it were the injured part. Use a photo of the person to help visualize them. In your mind, see them as healed, carrying on & doing their normal activities; and rock yourself side to side as you stroke the healing stone and chant an incantation, " stone to stone, bone to bone, flesh to flesh, vein to vein, (Name) is whole again". (reference from "Traditional Cornish Witchcraft" by Gemma Gary)... It Is an old, Anglo Saxon healing chant, and I've read a few different versions.

The stone will store the memory of your intent and should be stored separately from other stones while the spell is active. The stone can be returned to the earth for cleansing, after the spell is successfully fulfilled, or within one moon cycle. Wash it in flowing water to reset it's polarity and it's good to go and use again. Selenite, angelite, turquoise and kyanite can be damaged by water.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

MAP STONES

Stones that have unique markings and crazy patterns of lines are maps into other worlds. These can feature in travel spells both in-, and out-of body, and be used as path-stones to guide your progress.

They can be maps of ley lines along which we travel when holding the stone, or by which we send the fetch and the power to work a spell.

They might even serve as maps of a person's destiny.

WISH STONES

Stones with bold bands circling all the way around are useful for wishing, like casting a circle aids manifesting.

SEEING STONES

The familiar hag stone, holey stone is a protective amulet. It symbolizes fertility, and essential life force. We can also peer through the hole with the other worldly left eye and see between worlds, see future events, & in moonlight we can see the Fae.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”