Making a personal altar?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Ravenfeather

Making a personal altar?

Post by Ravenfeather »

Hello!

I am making my own personal altar, but so far I only have 5 small jar candles (Red-Macintosh, Light Pink-Vanilla, Hot Pink-Strawberry, Blue-Rain, and Yellow-Lemon), several gemstones, a wooden frog instrument, a plastic container of salt, a medium-sized blue bowl of water, seashells, a statue of a cardinal, and a statue of a butterfly.

I would like to get an altar cloth, pillar candles, God and Goddess candles, a cauldron, a goblet, a dagger, etc.

Do you know anywhere that I could get these things that doesn't charge an extreme amount of money for them? I am only 13 so I would have to get the money needed from my parents/family members.

I am grateful for all help! :flyingwitch:

Blessed be!
-Ravenfeather
☯"Look at the whole world around you with glittering eyes, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."☯
mikezmac

Re: Making a personal altar?

Post by mikezmac »

Etsy has a gargantuan number of Wicca, pagan and druid items. If you haven't discovered it you should.
Ravenfeather

Post by Ravenfeather »

mikezmac wrote:Etsy has a gargantuan number of Wicca, pagan and druid items. If you haven't discovered it you should.
I was just looking through Etsy, but most of the items were pricey. I plan on searching more of Etsy, though.
Thank you! :fairy:

Blessed be!
-Ravenfeather
☯"Look at the whole world around you with glittering eyes, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."☯
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

You can always get great stuff at thrift stores and yard sales for very cheap! That's my suggestion.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Thrift store shopping & re-purposing from around the house and nature is earth-friendly. Dollar-Stores have a variety of dishes, figurines, herbs & candles. IMO ritual tools are fancy dishes. Use a teacup with a handle or a heat safe ceramic bowl with a 1/2-inch of sand as an incense burner. Large grocery stores carry Utility candles & air freshener scented candles in housewares & birthday candles (for spells) in baking supplies, & herbal teas, cooking herbs & flavored oils. Pharmacies carry unscented sweet-oil & scented oils. You can substitute aerosol mist for incense (it’s still air-element); we can brew our own herbal blends to put in a spray bottle for pennies. If you have a color printer use it for deity pics or make a collage from calendar pics and frame them.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Sometimes the most meaningful items are those you make, find, or re-purpose. It is not about the money spent, but about the thought, love and effort you put into it. Step back from the project and consider how you might re-use things already around your home. Use your imagination and think outside the box. If you can't find something to repurpose, what can you make? What in nature around you might work beautifully for you?

I use very few tools, even though I have the funds now to buy them if I wanted. I discovered long ago that it isn't about the bling. Now, mind you, bling is fun. But it isn't necessary. Enjoy figuring out how to make it work with what you have. You may be surprised what you learn!
Myrth
Katrinkah

Making a personal altar?

Post by Katrinkah »

I agree with the stuff said above! You can also make your own air dry clay and color it with food coloring. Ive seen some really cool things made with it. You could make bowls, plates, candle holders, ect. It's suuuuper cheap and fun! You probably have most the ingredients already in your kitchen. And if you dont have food coloring you could always paint it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bandannas and scarves make great altar cloths. Paper coffee filters can work as spell pouches & can be drawn on. Make a pentacle on a plain ceramic plate with a Sharpie marker, then bake the dish in the oven @ 350' for 15 min. to set the ink. Cool before opening oven. :roll:

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”