Cauldrons

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Shadow

Cauldrons

Post by Shadow »

Do you use a cauldron? If so, how big is it? what is it made from? Any advice what to look for?

Shadow
YanaKhan

Re: Cauldrons

Post by YanaKhan »

I use a metal bowl I named "cauldron" :)
I wish I had a real one, but I rarely use it, so no point in purchasing.

You should think about what you're going to use your cauldron for and then decide about the size.

Hopefully someone who works more with theirs can give you more info.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Well I have two amd a third bigger one in the garden, it is big and heavy, solid and tarnished and really looks like the perfect cauldron I got it in a museum auction,

What do you want to use yours for, are you going to fire it or use it on an alter as a centre piece to plant spells in?
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I have a small one for burning things in it, but I don't know where it is lately...
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yea, um. ...depending on what you are using it for. I have different ones for different uses.
A small cast iron for incense.
A slightly larger one for burning small pieces of paper and herbs.
A ceramic one I made to put long term spells in.
A different ceramic one I made that has green melted glass in the bottom, I put water in it for skrying.
A brass one I use outside, usually has water in it as offering, ..and the wild animals drink out of it.
A couple large cast iron dutch oven types for cooking and baking in.
And I use a mini Weber bbq at Bealtaine for fire jumping, it has a nice cauldron kind of shape.
Now for an antique cast iron and I should be set!!
:roll:
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Thanks guys, that helped heaps.
I need to spend a little more time working out what I want to use it for, but at least now I have a guide for whatever :D
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

I actually have a lot of "cauldrons." I inherited all of my grandmother's cast iron pots, and I love them all. I have a very small potbelly cauldron that I use for incense. I have one that I use for water scrying. I have an antique cauldron (which used to be an old fashioned firestarter) that I use for burning things in a ritual setting. And I have a big potbelly cauldron that I love to use for kitchen witchery. It holds about 3 gallons, I think. It's fun. It makes me want to cook more. :flyingwitch:

Ha, reading back over that, I have a cauldron for air, one for water, one for fire, and one for earth (food). I didn't even realize that before.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I have a tiny cast iron cauldron that I burn a charcoal disc in and then sprinkle dried herbs over it. I use it mainly in spellwork. I haven't used it for a while though. I also like to store some of my crystals in it.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

My very first, pint size cast iron cauldron (purchased from Lodge camping cookware) is currently serving as a stick incense burner. Sad, but true. The next time i need it, I'll knock the sand and ashes out and wash it up. it's looking untidy. Over the years, it has been brewed in, baked in ( fits in my toaster oven) and used to hold spells that are "cooking" on my altar until they mature. what I looked for was affordable price, user friendly size & natural, not painted so I can cook in it. use it to hold water on full moons when i want to make lunar essence. and i burn spell papers in.

A lid is a nice safety feature in case there is a need to smother the fire inside the cauldron.

Oh! Gosh yes, also have a cast iron Dutch oven for pot roasts and stuff. Just don't get me started on the joys of cast iron cooking...

Edit: Copied & pasted my post from "post a spell or ritual" below.

How To Use a Cauldron

Use as a fire-safe pot to hold fire for outdoor rituals
Use to hold Water in the West, loose Earth at N, Fire at S, or Incense E of altar or circle setup
Use to hold food/drink offerings on the altar or during ritual
Use to brew potions
Use to bake ritual bread (Pillsbury rolls are easy, grease well & adjust to size of pot)
Use to dry herbs & flowers in the oven
Use for scrying, filled with water & catching the full Moon's reflection
Use as a container for cleansing &/or charging tools, or spell ingredients before assembling
Use for transformative fire magic to burn petitions, sigils
Use as a fire safe candle holder for candle spells
Use to hold sauce for dunking or dipping food
Use as a center piece filled with pine cones & needles, oak leaves & acorns, roses & lilacs
Use to melt snow for a Winter Solstice rite or to hold spring water at Summer Solstice
Use to hold coal & loose powdered incense; put sand in bottom to absorb heat (pot will be hot)
Use as a mortar & a hefty spoon as pestle
Use to build & hold a complete spell, just like cooking:
. Dress the pot inside with an essential oil or "intention" oil
. Add the densest materials of the spell ingredients such as stones, woods, bark, grains
. Add the lightest materials of the spell ingredients such as leafs, flowers, powders
. Add the "flavoring" such as the subject's photo ID, paper sigil, paper petition, tag locks
. Set your intention and put the lid on (use a saucer/plate if there's no lid)
. Wrap your Witch's Measure cord around the outside of the pot to "turn up the heat"
. Serve when ready by burning the contents & scatter ashes to the 4-winds. Fire & Air are active energies so they "activate" intention; conversely Earth & 'Water are passive energies & will "pacify" or soothe intentions(good for healing) & disbursal by burying the contents or by pouring them into free flowing water applies. Use either active or passive, whichever seems most relevant to the intent.
. Wash the pot out & dry thoroughly to prevent rust.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I'll be the weird one. I actually don't own a cauldron, never needed to use one, never had the urge to purchase one.

I tend to use my regular pots and pans, incense burners, oil diffuser, and (maybe twice a year) an outdoor fire pit. Depends on the need. But I've never really "needed" to use a cauldron, so I've never bothered to pick one up.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I also have a 2-cup, cast iron teapot with infuser, that is so perfect for brewing! It can be used right on the stove with a heat diffuser, which i had already for slow cooking in my Dutch oven.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”