Where do I start with my book of shadows?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
HopefulChild

Re: Where do I start with my book of shadows?

Post by HopefulChild »

Mine isn't for me.

Mine is for those whom I leave behind.

I started mine with basic stuff. I wrote a dedication page so that my kids or grandkids know who I was and why I made these books. Then I researched and created my first sigils of protection and meaning and drew those inside the front and back cover.

After that my BOS is almost entirely online. I just use regular documents to write out everything and when I feel something is complete I'll illuminate it into the physical book.

Google Docs is pretty awesome for accessing and writing any time and anywhere you can hit wifi or a strong enough cell signal.
Listener

Post by Listener »

My Book of Shadows has changed several times. My first started out as a spiral notebook, as I was (and still am, unfortunately) "in the broom closet," but I found it near impossible to keep it organized at all.

After that, I attempted to keep an online BoS using Google Docs like HopefulChild, but I found that an online Book of Shadows wasn't for me, as it just didn't didn't feel "right" and the internet can be pretty distracting, ha ha.

I currently use a three-ring binder for my Book of Shadows. With several dividers and sheet protectors, it's a lot easier for me to keep everything organized. That way I can write in things by hand, and include printed sheets in the sheet protectors.

At least that works for me. I guess it might take a little time to get a feel for what you think is right for your own Book of Shadows. :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Dr_Sir wrote:So today bought...my first book of shadows....now what do I actually put in it?
Take a look-see at some examples, here:
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... adows.html

:wink:

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'd say start by deciding how you will use the book ... As a record of your journey? as a spell book? What is most useful and important to you personally? Then divide out the book with sticky notes to separate the topics and sections. Imagine how you want it to look, and be realistic as to your artistic ability. Will you use dip pen and ink? ball point? Colored pencils, gel markers, water-color? Divided columns? Cut and paste from the Internet? Bold ink is easier to read in candlelight. Using a loose leaf binder for the first drafts will save aggravation over how to organize a spine-bound book. Press-on correction tape is a must-have life saver.

My first spell collection was on 4-colors of recipe cards in a box.

Some toptics:
. Circle casting - a few different ways
. Goddess & God Invocation and release
. Full moon rituals
. Seasonal food, drink, incense recipes
. How -to : consecrate, shield, unhex, invoking & banishing pentagrams
. How & when to ground, center, project
. Altar & tools significance
. The Elements properties & reference chart
. Alphabetical list of herb & stone uses, description
. Your divination methods
. Working with the Fae