Ritual robes?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
silvergrey

Ritual robes?

Post by silvergrey »

Do you like to wear robes or ritual clothing when working?
How did you get or make yours?
Is there anything in particular to take into consideration when looking for or making ritual robes?
Any info is welcome! :D
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ritual robes?

Post by Firebird »

I almost always wear a ritual robe and cape to circle.
Have made a robe for every season and I have 4 homemade capes and one I bought from the Pyramid Collection. Last year I made a summertime cape which is sheer because it gets so freaking hot here.
I like dressing for ritual even if its not in one of the robes, I think about what were are working on and the season to coordinate my outfit. Scarves and jewelry are great additions, picking out jewelry that will enhance the work. And always clean clothes, with the exception of the capes that can't be laundered every time.
Our group used to do sewing circles to make capes, robes, ritual sachels...whatever! It was alot of fun.
There are a few exceptions where I don't wear the robes, and that is to public rituals or events like pagan pride, yet I will wear my cape if it is cold.
I feel dressing for circle to be an integral part of preping the mind for ritual.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Ritual robes?

Post by SnowCat »

I've thought about making robes for myself. I made a gorgeous hooded cape for my daughter for Samhain some years ago. Black velveteen with purple lining.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lux

Post by Lux »

I have grand plans of making a ritual robe, currently I just go with what I'm wearing at the moment.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I have grand plans for a lot of things. I remembered to put pants on before leaving the house this morning. The world owes me a debt of gratitude for that. :lol:

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Becks

Post by Becks »

Love that! Made my day Snow!
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I don't wear ritual robes. I would love one though. But given I can't possibly sew anything without sewing my fingers, it'll be hard to obtain :)
I sometimes wear new clothes if the ritual requires me to, but other than that, I work with what I'm wearing at the moment.
Lux

Post by Lux »

SnowCat wrote:I have grand plans for a lot of things. I remembered to put pants on before leaving the house this morning. The world owes me a debt of gratitude for that. :lol:

Snow
Pants are overrated anyways!
crescent

Post by crescent »

For rituals, the only items I always try to wear are a certain few pieces of jewelry (along with regular clothes). I don't wear ritual robes indoors, but have a couple costume cloaks for fun. I like the idea of having a heavy cloak for outdoors, though. It'd be more practical to buy one for that purpose, but may never actually do that. Instead, I just use a regular coat designated for ritual use. It's oversized, hooded, warm, and invested with my intention, so serves the same purpose.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I have used 2 lounge robes, one winter weight and the other for summer. When I self-dedicated I made a short robe by adding an iron-on transfer to a smock. These were within my skill level. After a few years, I began wearing yoga pants and T shirt and never went back to the robes.

The important things were something I could adapt, seasonal comfort, no draping sleeves to catch fire or billowing length to trip on. I practice solitary, and have no rules to comply with.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”