Must an Athame’s Handle be Black, why?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
WolfWitch

Must an Athame’s Handle be Black, why?

Post by WolfWitch »

While in the mall with my family the other night, I came across a small double edge dagger. It spoke to me.

It was of no master work, rather a very simple and cheap blade, It wasn't sharp and probably would be ruined if ever I tried to place an actuall edge on the steel. But never the less it called out to me. From it's shape to it's design, down to the wolf spirit painted on the white enamle plates on the handle. It said Athame to me.

But my question is this. As I am sure I read it somewhere before. Is an Athame's handle supposed to be black? Does it matter if it is not?

I ask this because I am very attached to this little blade and it seems to be what it wishes to be. I don't want to cross a taboo though in the process.

Please enlighten me as to an answer if there is one.

Thanks and Goddess bless.

WW.
The greatest advice I was ever given: It matters not what you believe. Only that you believe it wholeheartedly.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

It doesn't matter at all what colour the handle is so buy your athame, it sounds wonderful :D
zoe

Post by zoe »

I agree. If the blade is calling to you then that is what is most important. Some of various traditions have written that the handle of an Athame should be black so as to absorb energy and in contrast the handle of the Boline knife (for cutting herbs) is white. But thats just one tradition. I think its more important that your tools are a reflection of you! so go ahead and use whatever you like for your Athame.

If it helps any my Athame is an antiqu double edge dull knife my mother used to help her split open turnips. I saw it and thought it had a great look and it really called to me so I asked my mother if I could have it then cleansed it physically, refinished and marked it, and purified it. It has a light wooden handle, but the energy flows just as surely as it would from any tradtional Athame or black handled blade I think :)
[Epothes]

Post by [Epothes] »

https://ecauldron.com/forum/forum/ ten reasons athame is black ^_^ I agree with what everyone else has said. Its all about what YOU believe. If you think you should get it, then sure.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link
~Epothes~
Nackin

Post by Nackin »

If it is important to you that the athame handle is black, you can probably do something to change the colour. I agree that if the knife calls to you, it is the right one for you. It is best that it isn't sharp. You never use it for cutting and in my trad, we use dulled blades. Its safer in close quarters with a group of people.
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

Actually, Nackin, there are reasons that athames are often sharp. (Ok, I admit that my current blade is quite dull, but I am working on getting a new one.) The athame is meant to be able to cut through things, especially in creating circles and whatnot. Many traditions feel that a dull - or bladeless - knife would not be able to do that.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

If you really think it needs to be black, paint it or black electrical tape. If done right, it won't look gaudy or crappy or anything.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
ecb

Post by ecb »

I agree
Mine does happen to have a Blackish Handle
it is Ebony wood
but the blade is hardened Yew
I did not like the feel the Metal Blade gave me, and mine has a nice Living feel
I also found a Nice stone goblet, a single piece of stone, glows with light
My Daughter made me a 5 pointed star shaped plate with a Spiral in the well
Someday I will find a suitable piece of Furniture to use as an Alter
until then I use what surface I have available

ecb
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: A question on Athames.

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old, moldy topic but still being read. Sources for this info were Ray Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (Gardnerian), Stuart & Janet Farrar's Witch's Bible (Alexandrian), and Scott Cunningham's Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner, so 3 different Wiccan sources agree 😱.

Definitions of Wiccan tools & ritual were borrowed from ceremonial magic. The reason for the athame's black handle is to absorb & retain the Crafter's energy. Specific symbols were once painted on the handles but I've noticed the custom is seldom mentioned amongst solitaries. The athame is reserved for sacred use in directing & cutting only etheric energy to keep the intent pure. The blade doesn't need to be razor sharp to cut etheric energy as long as your mind knows it can cut. Physical, mundane cutting is done with a white handled knife simply to tell them apart. Black & white are reminders of the pillars of the temple. The athame is never used to draw blood. The preference for a dual-edge is to cut both ways without having to awkwardly twist the wrist.

If none of these ceremonial ritual preferences are issues for you then any blade can serve to direct energy. One thing witches excel at IMO is deciding for themselves what works for them.

BlackMirror

Re: A question on Athames.

Post by BlackMirror »

The tool called to you. The handle color doesn't matter. Magic is individual. Follow your gut.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”