Types of Altars?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Hamish

Types of Altars?

Post by Hamish »

So, I am pondering the construction of such a space. My only real inspiration for such a thing is actually a very biblical inspiration actually. The idea of the Ark specifically. For those never versed, the Ark was a sacred vessel and object central to the early Hebrew religion allegedly. A mobile sacred box is somewhat appealing, especially since I am right now a mobile person bouncing between dorms, family homes, ect.

For example my idea is to take a special box I bought ages ago when I first considered this sort of path but never followed through, and bless it as a sort of vessel or dwelling for my Patron. Think an Ark or maybe a Phylactery, within containing paper inscribed with my specific Patrons name, deeds, titles, and possibly other objects such as a sacred stone and other objects. This mobile Ark could then be used as an altar with a set of candles on top of it and my Patron invoked to use it as a dwelling place. It then could be both an altar and sacred object/living mobile shrine.

So I am curious what sort of Altars do you all craft, or what ideas go into yours?
BabyBear

Re: Types of Altars?

Post by BabyBear »

all of my altar ideals are found in my hidden altar section or my request section ><
but there are just so many ways to make one that i have no set way to do anything other then these guideline questions found in my first post here :
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p203180
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Hi Hamish :)
Hamish wrote:The idea of the Ark specifically. For those never versed, the Ark was a sacred vessel and object central to the early Hebrew religion allegedly.
The Ark of the Covenant is actually a central vessel to the early Judaic religion. Hebrew is a language.
For example my idea is to take a special box I bought ages ago when I first considered this sort of path but never followed through, and bless it as a sort of vessel or dwelling for my Patron.
This is a great idea, and is actually an advanced practice. It's commonly called a Spirit Box. Its good to know what you're getting yourself into, so here's all you need to know about them :

Spirit Box Construction - PDF
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Hi Hamish! I love the idea of using a box! You should check out BabyBears' hidden altar section, for sure! She has a lot of amazing ideas in there.

Using a box is a very common method, actually, as many like being able to have a portable altar to take with them or f they are unable to fully express themselves in their home environment then it is perfect for that as well. I have a portable, mini box altar I use when working with the Fae. It's a lot of fun to make them too!

You can make box altars with anything and everything you want to use. When I made my Fae altar, I actually recycled my phone's box because it had the perfect layout for wat I wanted to do.

You could also do the typical table layout or incorporate your box within that layout as well. I actually did that with my box altar.

Another thing you could think about is who your deities are and how you'd like to represent them. For example, I you worked with Poseidon you might try taking a bowl of water and using that as the base for your altar by floating things on top of it.

There's really so much you can do and no right or wrong way to do it which makes your path all the more individual to you!

Let us know what it looks like when you finish!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
October

Post by October »

My own altar is pretty portable because I don't have a lot of space (I majored in Space Management in college). It's on a tray table on my shoes bin in my closet. When I want to use it, I pull it out and prop up the legs. Then when I'm done, it goes back in the closet. I have to be a little careful with trailing skirts and sleeves, but that's easily managed enough. It has the added benefit of making all my shoes smell like incense :-p

A box is a great idea, though.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

I have a few . My main space is in a HUGE hutch right in my dining room / entryway to my home . I am lucky enough to have a lot of supportive people around me. Open minded family ... So I am able to put anything I wish out in my space. Usually mine is more practical than a place of honoring specific gods and goddesses ( USUALLY.. Although it is often set up honorably, as well ) . .. As I am constantly working. I do work at LEAST once a day. Not even including positive intentions in cooking and cleaning energy , etc I'll try to post some pics later if I am able.

I have a friend who drives a truck. She asked once about how to do an altar in her truck because she's on the road all the time. My husband is a driver as well so I know they have some cool nooks in those. She finally set up some items in a small area in the sleeper. I thought it was cool.

You can put an altar ANYWHERE . I e even seen them in altoid tins.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Xiao Rong: Image links deleted because they're not showing up properly. The error message says that your images need to be resized to be less than 1200 pixels high.

Ok I'll quit now. I guess the point I'm making is .. Some of it is obvious. Most of it is not.. But. Pretty much my entire home is an altar. Haha
mrsdavid1975

Types of Altars?

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Thank you. That junk shut down my errrrrrthang when I posted it lol.

Sorry. Haha.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've found a corner wall shelf works for a shrine & holds a statue, candles & incense for daily reflection. My working altar is a 4-tiered kitchen cart on wheels. Tools and supplies fit in baskets on the shelves below. It has wheels & goes where ever I need it indoors or on the outside deck. A small picnic basket works for a portable, outdoor kit away from the house.

Hamish, you might like the post "Box of Shadows" under the altar photo heading.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”