Connecting with your tools

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Blackthorn

Connecting with your tools

Post by Blackthorn »

Hi folks!

As I have mentioned in previous topics, I am currently in the process of renovating my altar. Previously, I suppose I didn't really have one. When I did circles with druidry, I had things to represent the quarters and that was pretty much it. I decided that I wanted to collect tools that I can use for decades into my practice and have invested time, energy, and money into collecting and decorating to my satisfaction.

Now, I am very pleased with my progress so far. I really love how my altar, and my ritual items, are coming together. It's a process, but a rewarding and fun one. I love collecting my items, whether it be via hunting outside or hunting online.

However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding an athame I connect with and care to consecrate. My previous dagger is fashioned in a templar style, and doesn't really fit with my practice. It's more decorative. I ordered another athame online because I thought I would enjoy its simplicity and I could carve runes into the hilt. When I received it, I opened it and kind of went, "..Oh, okay." I've had it sitting on my altar, I go and pick it up now and then, but in the end I'm just not satisfied. I don't see myself using this blade in ritual. It's a decent stand-in, but it's not, "this is my athame and it's AWESOME"-level. I'm thinking I may use it as a boline and continue my journey and searching for an athame that pleases me.

So my question is: what is your relationship with your ritual items and altar pieces? Have you ever had something where you thought, "Nope, not working"- or something that you tried really hard to form a connection with but it just wasn't there? What was your solution? For example, I think I might look into non-steel/metal athame blades and see how I feel. I'm really in no rush as this process of collecting my items is a journey. I kind of regret jumping on ordering this particular blade without really thinking about it.
FireRaven

Re: Connecting with your tools

Post by FireRaven »

I have two wands I use, and I choose which one I need depending on the intent or the vibe of the day. Sometime's it's my cedar wand, other times it's my willow wand. I clicked with them both, I think, because I made both of them. I used to make and sell wands at festivals, and many of my customers would hold their projective hand over the wands to see if they clicked with the energy of the wand. If it clicked they bought it, and it if didn't they looked elsewhere, and that's okay. :)

I've had similar issues connecting with candles and a few gemstones. I never order them online, I always buy those in person, so I can pick them up and hold them and see if it's a good match. Most of the time it is, but I've held some beautiful candles that, while pretty, were just kind of 'meh' energywise. I think it's normal. Everything has its own energy and sometimes it meshes with a person and sometimes it doesn't.

I have never found an athame I've connected with well enough to use in a ritual. I haven't stopped looking but I wonder if it's a tool I just am not meant to use very often? I have an athame I bought years ago but I never use it because it just doesn't feel right. My solution thus far has been to simply not use one, and keep looking until I find the right one. I figure when I'm meant to have it I will find it. I keep thinking of the Harry Potter books, when Mr. Ollivander tells Harry that the wand chooses the wizard. :)
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

When I got my first athame I had a hard time connecting. I decided to do a naming ritual since I am a Heathen and most of the gods have named their weapons. It's made a huge difference. Once I found the name I can feel energy when I hold the blade. I also quit using it ceremonially. I keep it sharp and cut with it to do spell work. I have also slept with it while sheathed to help with dream work. It's become more of a partner than tool.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Thanks for your insight, FireRaven! I think you're right about the Harry Potter reference, lol! I've decided to ease my search for an athame because I just can't find one that I like. I also have a couple of wands, and I think I might use a particular one in ritual in place of an athame for now. My other blade I will continue to use for utility purposes.

Holdasown, I can understand where you're coming from. I've a name for one of my wands because it seems to be more of an extention of my self, and my will (this particular wand is the one I will use in place of an athame). I'm not a Heathen, as I'm just now exploring paths outside of druidry, but my Altar is in dedication to Freyja and I've been studying a lot of norse- and germanic-centered systems.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Im tacking on my comment, better late than whenever. My athame is a plain one that I wood-burned my name on in runes and glued a tiny piece of moldavite to it. It's not fancy or gorgeous, but neither am I and why should it look better than I do? I carried it with me and slept with it (sheathed, of course) and even dreamed about it, for 3 months before consecrating it at my personal dedication. It was my first and only tool for my 1st few years on the Path, besides a cereal bowl of sand for incense. I have used it over twenty years and when I lay my hand on it, we tingle. Im a practical Virgo and this is just a different way to look at our tools. We make tools ours by the energy we put into them, gradually over time, like making friends.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Awesome insight, SpiritTalker! It's been a little over a year since I have made this post (so not really a long time in the grand scheme of things)- but I can say that the knife I mentioned in my initial post has indeed been used mostly for cutting, snuffing candles, and other manual tasks. I've mostly been using a blackthorn wand with a crow feather instead of a blade and I find it most effective for me. Hopefully, in 20 years I can reflect back on it as you do with your athame!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

My very first attempt with an athame was a curved blade, variegated handle. I kept it in a backpack in my car for spur of the moment trips to the woods, but the backpack was stolen along with all the stuff in it. It was like a big " this is not the right one for you" heads up. And the funny thing was I never missed it. No bonding at all. I had just purchased the first pretty one I liked. The plain one was an affordable replacement, and was the right one all along. The athame discerns and commands, and I'm really not an assertive person.

I've secretly wanted to try blackthorn for a wand, but I'm bonded to my maple one now like to a stray cat. We can grab hold of any fairly straight item, and lots of times i don't even use tools, but your wand is your wand is Your Wand. The partnership is like grace, It invites. I like that about the wand. I wish you long years of enjoyment.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”