Altar vs. Shrine?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
daisykewl

Altar vs. Shrine?

Post by daisykewl »

So I am very new to this religon and am interested in erecting a shrine/altar. I found a layout I like in the book "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner." There is a diagram for a shrine and an altar, which are very similar. The difference being the altar has much more things. Is there a difference? Do you, personally, have both? Can I combine them? I barely have room for one. Please and thank you :D
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: Altar vs. Shrine?

Post by AdastraJunction »

You can lay yours out how ever you choose. My altar is a mix of both (I have a photo of it in the Altar photo section). I keep the main elements in any altar I create but it about how you choose to make it and what feels right for your practices. You don't have to follow it to the letter if you do not choose too, there are some people who do and some who do not.
daisykewl

Post by daisykewl »

AdastraJunction wrote:You can lay yours out how ever you choose. My altar is a mix of both (I have a photo of it in the Altar photo section). I keep the main elements in any altar I create but it about how you choose to make it and what feels right for your practices. You don't have to follow it to the letter if you do not choose too, there are some people who do and some who do not.
Thanks so much for the advice! I think I'll combine them by sliding an offering plate onto my altar:)
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I believe you can have one for everything. That is how I do it.

But you could have an altar for "work" and then the shrine to honor deity if you want.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just for the sake of sharing ideas: I use a wall shelf for a permanent shrine, with a statue, candle and offerings. Its high enough the cats leave it alone. I use a cheap wooden breakfast tray with folding legs for a working altar so that I can move it to where ever I want to work, indoors or out. Normally it's on top of a livingroom bookshelf but I often move to the kitchen counter when I know I'm going to make a mess prepping. Additionally, I keep a bottle of water, travel-coffee-mug (I always want coffee to take along) mortar and pestle, copper bowl, pint-sized cauldron & athame & small sundries in a mini picnic basket (any sack would do as well) so everything's together and movable in one trip. I unfold the tray legs when I'm outside, and voila! Instant set up. If I was pinched for storage space, when it's not in use, the whole altar and basket fit under the bed. Cover with a scarf to keep off the dust bunnies. Even an inexpensive baking tray with edges, so things don't slide off, would work.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I always think of shrines as public affairs. They can be big ans get closer to temples. People come by and offer things. Similar to how you see in Japan with torii gate shrines.

Whereas an altar is a small personal shrine made for private use by the individual. Idk if these definitions are accurate per se, but it's how I always envisioned them.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

For me my altar is a working shrine. I like to keep the energy of all my magickal tools and expendable supplies together in one sacred space where they resonate, entangle and empower the area. I fabricated a wooden chest with engraved pentagram on the lid. It is storage for all my implements and my altar. Over the years it has accumulated a very detectable aura and on occasion I have seen flashes of light from it at night. When I place my hand on the engraved pentagram I feel a cloaking effect around this sacred space that embraces me in a peaceful sense of well being and ,on occasion, I sometimes glimpse the presence of my Goddess Shekinah.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I agree with the above.

Shrines are for reverence, offerings, etc.

Alters are for rituals, works, and etc.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”