Consecrating Tools

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
misspeytonrose

Consecrating Tools

Post by misspeytonrose »

So I honestly do not use much in magick for tools. Not much at all. I use incense, some candles, and some crystals as well as smudge sticks. Do they need to be consecrated too? Like candles for example, if I got out and buy some candles do I have to consecrate them before use? And is there any short and sweet consecration spells anyone has to offer? I have one in one of my books but it is really long and can only be performed on a full moon and I need to be able to consecrate at any time. Thanks so much for the help! loveface
smogie_michele

Re: This is about consecrating tools!

Post by smogie_michele »

On a full moon, why not set our some water in a large, air tight container to allow it to charge? That way, instead of preforming your consecration a full moon, you can substitute it with sprinkling the water over your tools? I'm a big fan of making moon water, I use it in many of my rituals.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

you could light a black candle for the Lord and a white candle for the Lady , and an incence and pass the tool over each flame and over the incence. you could also put the tool under your pillow to take your own energy. As for the moon, many don't care about moon magic but if you do, I think it's enough to imagine it; the way you visualize while consecrating a tool. e.g. I prefer to visualize a white light coming from above and filling the tool, or state my intent.
*Blessed Be*
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Why black for Lord and white for lady? I would have done opposite so I'm just curious why you choose the way you do. Thanks!

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

it's a preference; it's how I personally do it. of course you d do what feels best to you; it's not a rule.
*Blessed Be*
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

misspeytonrose wrote:So I honestly do not use much in magick for tools. Not much at all. I use incense, some candles, and some crystals as well as smudge sticks. Do they need to be consecrated too? Like candles for example, if I got out and buy some candles do I have to consecrate them before use? And is there any short and sweet consecration spells anyone has to offer? I have one in one of my books but it is really long and can only be performed on a full moon and I need to be able to consecrate at any time. Thanks so much for the help! loveface
I don't consecrate my candles or incense. My crystals I will charge once and cleanse periodically (under moonlight usually, I set them on a windowsill overnight). I use the same cleansing method with any other tools I use more than once.

Most of the rites I've done regarding tool consecrations have been spontaneous, rather than a planned out elaborate ritual. I tend to use what nature provides me with, and all those rites take place outdoors. Storms, snow, moon cycles, mist, etc... signals are my cue to get outside and use what the elements are offering.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Random!! Is there anyway to cleanse and change with ice or snow? There is plenty here at the moment.. Thanks!

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
random417

Post by random417 »

Rosie wrote:Random!! Is there anyway to cleanse and change with ice or snow? There is plenty here at the moment.. Thanks!

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
I know it probably wasn't a question directed at me, but I read it that way, so there's probably a reason for that. Ice and snow can be thawed and used as water for clensing rituals, or represents stasis or stillness, which could be a way to "fix" spells and energy in place once you set it
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

random417 wrote:
Rosie wrote:Random!! Is there anyway to cleanse and change with ice or snow? There is plenty here at the moment.. Thanks!

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
I know it probably wasn't a question directed at me, but I read it that way, so there's probably a reason for that. Ice and snow can be thawed and used as water for clensing rituals, or represents stasis or stillness, which could be a way to "fix" spells and energy in place once you set it
Oh wow! I didn't realize that was someone's name. But, nice to meet you anyways! Thanks for the idea! I think I could definitely put some snow in a jar and let it melt.

rosie[GREEN HEART]
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

random417 wrote:Ice and snow can be thawed and used as water for clensing rituals, or represents stasis or stillness, which could be a way to "fix" spells and energy in place once you set it
I've got a bottle of melted snow that I collected during the first full moon of this year. I've used it for consecrating my altar whenever I change its layout and tools. I don't have much reasoning behind it other than it sounded like a good idea. :lol: I do like the idea that the melted ice can represent stasis. Thanks for the idea random417. :)
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Consecrating Tools

Post by Firebird »

Ooo interesting link Holda, thanks
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Consecrating Tools

Post by SpiritTalker »

An off-the-cuff, spontaneous consecration rite might use your breath and some words like "I bless this (item) in the the name of (deity) for the purpose of (assign the task)." Now blow on the item with a forceful, energy-charged breath; not a light puff, put your gut & will into it like you were giving it the Breath of Life itself...because you are.

A formal consecration standard includes fire and water. It might be done within a cast circle, and the item then would be cleansed by the elements with a salt-water (or rosemary leaves & water) sprinkling for earth/water, and fuming with incense smoke for air/fire, and assigned it's purpose & statement of how it shall serve. We might request a blessing from Deity. It can then be presented to the four directions, held aloft (if appropriate) and introduced. The most likely items would be the altar itself, athame, wand/staff, chalice/cauldron, hearth stone, crystal ball/mirror/scrying bowl, Tarot deck, working candle/altar lights, thurible/incense burner, Book of Shadows.

A lunar elixer cleanse followed by a full moon light charging, and a dusting with herbs would introduce the powers of Moon and Earth to the item. The altar might be washed down, sprinkled or spritzed with lemon juice and water, and/or rubbed with frankincense or purifying oil like mint or lemon oil thinned with olive oil. Then wiped down with a cloth so that the surface isn't tacky.

Lunar elixer is water that has been exposed to full moon light, with the Moon's image reflected by - or captured within - the water to empower it. If you prefer, use spring/well water for the earthy connections. A pinch of sea salt and a few drops of rose water can be added to a quart of plain tap water. Use a clear glass bowl, or blue glass, or mason jar. Drop a piece of silver into the water, such as a coin or ring, or a quartz crystal, or moonstone during the moonlight charge (remove any item later).

It just depends on how fancy you want to get and what you are comfortable doing.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”