Deity Representations

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Nightwatcher

Re: Deity Representations

Post by Nightwatcher »

Maybe I'm odd but I don't... feel comfortable having a statue of my Lady or a physical representation beyond a picture. I don't know why, it just doesn't feel quite right for me. Is that bad?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Nightwatcher wrote:Maybe I'm odd but I don't... feel comfortable having a statue of my Lady or a physical representation beyond a picture. I don't know why, it just doesn't feel quite right for me. Is that bad?
The ancient Greeks (like many ancient pagans) certainly didn't shy away from making statues and artwork of their deities, just for the sake of art or for temples and such, but it's not like having a statue or something like that was required for worship, either. I do know that sometimes modern pagans shy away from statues and such because of their religious upbringing (where such things might be seen as bad), or cultural influences, etc... not always the case, of course, some just prefer not to include statues on the altar for various reasons, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, just personal preference. If it makes you uncomfortable to do it, you don't have to, but on the other hand it might be good to explore the source of the discomfort, too, and see why that's the case.
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

Siona wrote:
Nightwatcher wrote:Maybe I'm odd but I don't... feel comfortable having a statue of my Lady or a physical representation beyond a picture. I don't know why, it just doesn't feel quite right for me. Is that bad?
The ancient Greeks (like many ancient pagans) certainly didn't shy away from making statues and artwork of their deities, just for the sake of art or for temples and such, but it's not like having a statue or something like that was required for worship, either. I do know that sometimes modern pagans shy away from statues and such because of their religious upbringing (where such things might be seen as bad), or cultural influences, etc... not always the case, of course, some just prefer not to include statues on the altar for various reasons, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, just personal preference. If it makes you uncomfortable to do it, you don't have to, but on the other hand it might be good to explore the source of the discomfort, too, and see why that's the case.
It feels as if I'm binding Their potential by having a statue or representation to just one form. I know that's not true and in fact is meant to aid people with connecting to their God(s) or Goddess(es), but for me it feels restrictive. :?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

There's no reason we have to use statues... yeh, they’re pretty. Ask yourself what purpose the statue or something similar will serve. Some people use statues as a resting place for deity/spirit to dwell during rites. Other people use the symbol to stand for the deity. And others use it to remind themselves of the Deity's presence all around and throughout. You don't have to have a representation at all if your belief can't be confined to a symbolic rep.

Or:

Print an image from free photos and frame them.
Use a candle in a seashell or glass bowl to represent divine illumination

Arrange a vase of pine & oak twigs for the god, flowers for the goddess; wheat stalks for both; antlers (both male & female reindeer have horns.) A flame also represents deity.

Cut & paste & decoupage relevant images on a smooth stone. Draw/paint if you can.
Glowfish

Post by Glowfish »

I ended up with 3 little porcelain female figurines when my mother passed that work great as goddess statues. I don't think it matters what you use as long as it feels right for you but a couple places you will find figurines and such is good will stores and dollar tree stores. There the best places to look for cheap statues and often have a nice range of other things you can get for your alter on a budget.

If your going to be using a temporary alter then maybe just go with some printed pictures as there's always a risk a statue could end up getting broken if its being moved around a lot. Pictures are good as you can write your dedication to your god/goddess on the back and either laminate it so it won't get damaged or decorate a picture frame with items associated with that particular god/goddess.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

You could go with a chess set. There are some with very fine King and Queen pieces that could be used for your altar. There are many different sizes, people as pieces. You can probably find fantasy types. I had a set that was crusader in nature. Plastic pieces. Cheap. Hollow so you could make inclusions with clay in the bottoms to dry, hold anything in and keep the pieces from falling over. You can do a nice job of painting with a cheap set of model paints.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

I think it matters little what we use to represent our God/Goddess. Whatever we choose serves us well as a key to entangle our mind with that of our Guide and soon accumulates positive energies that helps open a portal between worlds. I have a large lithograph framed and on the wall behind my altar "The Prophecy" by Nene Thomas. First sight of this rang a bell for me as the pictured being had long platinum flowing hair as I had perceived when encountering my Goddess Shekinah. When I look at "The Prophecy" I see Shekinah.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Very nice picture. I can see why you would pick it as an art work. With it speaking to you as a representation of your deity I can see why you need only a picture to connect.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”