Subtstitute For My Broken Cauldron

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Subtstitute For My Broken Cauldron

Post by Seraphin »

This morning when I woke up, I found my fiancee scolding our fat black tabby cat, who just continued with great dignity to drag his tail through the cauldron of herbal tea that I brewed last night. He accidentally bumped into my cauldron that was placed on our dining table. :surprisedwitch:

(*sigh* I should have kept track of how I prepared it, I knew I should have. *stares at the cat hairs floated like so much flotsam and jetsam on the surface of tiny dark sea.* :( )

*Shrugs* I never kept track of anything. But anyway, that's not really my problem. :roll:

My problem is I thought my cauldron wasn't harmed since my fiancee assured me it wasn't, but after some careful inspection, I found out that my cat broke it too. :cry:

So now I'm in trouble without my actual cauldron, maybe someone can help me out here...

Do you have any suggestions to substitute for a cauldron in the meantime? We are tightening our belt right now, so I need something practical and easy-to-find. :D
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Subtstitute For My Broken Cauldron

Post by loona wynd »

Well you can always use a cooking pot or pan for your cauldron. It will take to water better for actual water uses than your normal cast iron cauldron. Plus you can put them on the stove and actually brew all your potions and salves and the like in your cauldron on your stove top. You can also use it in ritual the same way you would a regular cauldron. Remember that originally witches didn't have a separate pot for cooking so all food and magic were in the same thing.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have many substitutes, a brass kettle with feet I found at the Good-Will store that holds water under the apple tree, I have a big aluminum pot that hangs in the fireplace or I use it out doors, it usually houses sand for candle burnings. I found a really great antique silver bowl with feet ( another thrift store find) that I use for incense,...I have a couple little iron cauldrons for mixing brews, one of them I found at a garage sale... and then I have my "Lodge" brand iron cauldron (with lid) that I cook food in. I don't like to mix brews in a pot that is for food, esp. in iron.
happy hunting!
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

loona wynd wrote:Well you can always use a cooking pot or pan for your cauldron. It will take to water better for actual water uses than your normal cast iron cauldron. Plus you can put them on the stove and actually brew all your potions and salves and the like in your cauldron on your stove top. You can also use it in ritual the same way you would a regular cauldron. Remember that originally witches didn't have a separate pot for cooking so all food and magic were in the same thing.
firebirdflys wrote:I have many substitutes, a brass kettle with feet I found at the Good-Will store that holds water under the apple tree, I have a big aluminum pot that hangs in the fireplace or I use it out doors, it usually houses sand for candle burnings. I found a really great antique silver bowl with feet ( another thrift store find) that I use for incense,...I have a couple little iron cauldrons for mixing brews, one of them I found at a garage sale... and then I have my "Lodge" brand iron cauldron (with lid) that I cook food in. I don't like to mix brews in a pot that is for food, esp. in iron.
happy hunting!
FF
Thanks, loona wynd and FF:) You're absolutely right. I think it's just natural for some of us to believe that our tools and needs have to be one way or another.

I considered my cauldron as one of my most important tools in the Craft, being the source of my artistic inspiration and work. As such it symbolizes the creative force, from which all my actions are rooted from. So I am really desperate to find a substitute for it. :D For years that I'm practicing the Craft, I've come to learn more and more that you can do what you can with what you have!

Luckily, I managed to gather some rain water during the full moon last March and now I'm going to use it to wash our "regular cooking pot" along with a bunch of oregano leaves from my Mom's garden. :flyingwitch:

Oh and FF, I have found some amazing things in Goodwill type places that are PERFECT! Yes, yes, you'll just never know what's around if you don't look :D Thank you very much!
Seraphin

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Seraphin wrote:Thanks, loona wynd and FF:) You're absolutely right. I think it's just natural for some of us to believe that our tools and needs have to be one way or another.
I would agree. I mean there is obviously one specific design and ideal behind a typical Cauldron. I do have one of those but I don't use it for liquids. I only use it for buring things. Cast iron and Liquid really dont make a good mix. So for me it became something more than just the womb and water but a representation of my fires and my passions as a witch.

I believe that while the popular images can be great, I think in the end we all need to be willing to adapt. Amy liquids I would need a cauldron for or anything where I would actually be cooking I would be using a pot. Though I would probably consecrate and dedicate that pot only to witchcraft related uses, it would be your normal everyday cooking pot. That way I could use it on the stove no problems.
Seraphin wrote:I considered my cauldron as one of my most important tools in the Craft, being the source of my artistic inspiration and work. As such it symbolizes the creative force, from which all my actions are rooted from. So I am really desperate to find a substitute for it. :D For years that I'm practicing the Craft, I've come to learn more and more that you can do what you can with what you have!
That is something I am learning as well. One day I did my entire Ostara ritual by drawing things related to spring and the ideas I wanted to plant on the beach. I was there and that was what I had in hand. I did it knowing that the winds and the tides would take away the designs and the work I did, but that was part of the idea. That by working where I was I could still put those wishes into the universe through natures very own forces.

I've also found that most of the spells and rituals out there that call for obscure herbs can be done with most of the herbs and spices you would have in your basic cooking cabinet. This is why kitchen witchery is a great way to practice witchcraft right in the open while being hidden at the same time. Witchcraft and magic is really about using what you have on hand to empower the desires and intent you have to make the magic work. This is also a lesson that can be very difficult to learn.
Seraphin wrote:Luckily, I managed to gather some rain water during the full moon last March and now I'm going to use it to wash our "regular cooking pot" along with a bunch of oregano leaves from my Mom's garden. :flyingwitch:
Sounds like a great way to use moon water. I have some water from the first spring rain that I am going to use to make holy water when I re-cleanse and consecrate my ritual tools this full moon. I am also thinking about using it to make a small batch of rose water.
Seraphin wrote:Oh and FF, I have found some amazing things in Goodwill type places that are PERFECT! Yes, yes, you'll just never know what's around if you don't look :D Thank you very much!
The only thing I do with those items is I add an extra cleansing to my normal cleansing with my ritual tools as you never know what sort of energies those items had around them before. Plus it also formally removes all previous connections and cuts the ties so to speak. I make even use a ritual blade in the extra cleansing ritual to symbolically cut those ties by cutting those ties with the ritual blade.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

loona wynd wrote: I believe that while the popular images can be great, I think in the end we all need to be willing to adapt. Amy liquids I would need a cauldron for or anything where I would actually be cooking I would be using a pot. Though I would probably consecrate and dedicate that pot only to witchcraft related uses, it would be your normal everyday cooking pot. That way I could use it on the stove no problems.
If a mundane object is available and handy, we can always find ways to convert it into something magickally useful. :fairy:
loona wynd wrote:Witchcraft and magic is really about using what you have on hand to empower the desires and intent you have to make the magic work. This is also a lesson that can be very difficult to learn.
I completely agree with this. You are here exactly saying what the ancient masters of magick and occult sciences have been saying all along -- that there's a bit magick in everything. Yoruba tradition also shares the same philosophical concept, these bits of magick in Yoruba language is called "ase". It is given by the Source or Olodumare to everything -- animals and insects, plants, rocks and minerals, water forms, and voiced words such as affirmations, incantations, prayers, blessings, curses, or even everyday conversation. Performing witchcraft and other types of magick is simply changing the use of the things (herbs, stones, oils, candles etc.) and our consciousness from without to the within, from physical to the spiritual, from ordinary to the extraordinary. Once we get the skill of attuning ourselves to the "Spirit Force" within the things around us and the "Divine Force" within us, then magick will necessarily come.

Everything around us is largely a result of our own mental boundaries. In other words, we sustained the continued existence and the image of the things because we only think of it that way. Like for instance, I don't just look at the stones and crystals as mere fragments of the earth but instead, I look at them as sources of energy that can be locked into any area we want and can cause energy changes in any object within the field.

Once we raise our consciousness to a higher level, our view of the things around us changes dramatically and qualitatively. Suddenly, everything turns into a unity and we become aware of a new function of things that is much more natural, useful, and lovelier than what we presently know it to be.
Seraphin wrote:The only thing I do with those items is I add an extra cleansing to my normal cleansing with my ritual tools as you never know what sort of energies those items had around them before. Plus it also formally removes all previous connections and cuts the ties so to speak. I make even use a ritual blade in the extra cleansing ritual to symbolically cut those ties by cutting those ties with the ritual blade.
I also agree with this. Objects do absorb the energy of their previous owner, their maker or the one who has held it. Witchcraft tools and religious materials can absorb the imprint of rituals or spells performed or directed toward it. And such imprints don't vanish easily.

I haven't thought about making a ritual blade to cut negative energetic ties. Perhaps I should try that.
Seraphin

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Seraphin wrote:If a mundane object is available and handy, we can always find ways to convert it into something magickally useful. :fairy:
No question about that. Historically there was no difference between that which was magical and that which was mundane. There are some witches today who still follow this same basic practice. They see no reason to have a seperate pot for witchcraft and magical practices when they can use the same one they made last nights soup in.

That is also where the original image of the cauldron comes from. At one point in time the house hold pot and thus the cauldrons of witches was essentially a cast iron pot suspended over the houses cooking fire or held up on three legs over the fire. Most people would only be able to afford one pot so the cooking pot becomes the cauldron for magical brews.
Seraphin wrote:I completely agree with this. You are here exactly saying what the ancient masters of magick and occult sciences have been saying all along -- that there's a bit magick in everything. Yoruba tradition also shares the same philosophical concept, these bits of magick in Yoruba language is called "ase". It is given by the Source or Olodumare to everything -- animals and insects, plants, rocks and minerals, water forms, and voiced words such as affirmations, incantations, prayers, blessings, curses, or even everyday conversation. Performing witchcraft and other types of magick is simply changing the use of the things (herbs, stones, oils, candles etc.) and our consciousness from without to the within, from physical to the spiritual, from ordinary to the extraordinary. Once we get the skill of attuning ourselves to the "Spirit Force" within the things around us and the "Divine Force" within us, then magick will necessarily come.
This is also why the true masters can cast spells effectively without any tools what soever. To be honest the first type of spell casting and magic taught in the Temple tradition is the use of the mind and body motions to direct energy rather than working with any crystals, herbs and candles. Its all in the mind. Perhaps that basic teaching there in the book The Inner Temple of Witchcraft with Instant Magick by Christopher Penczak which actually holds the truth behind all of magic. Its really in the minds ability to focus and concentrate that magic happens.
Seraphin wrote:Everything around us is largely a result of our own mental boundaries. In other words, we sustained the continued existence and the image of the things because we only think of it that way. Like for instance, I don't just look at the stones and crystals as mere fragments of the earth but instead, I look at them as sources of energy that can be locked into any area we want and can cause energy changes in any object within the field.
When you see them as both the real connections begin to form between the sources of energy and the mysteries in the crystals.
Seraphin wrote:Once we raise our consciousness to a higher level, our view of the things around us changes dramatically and qualitatively. Suddenly, everything turns into a unity and we become aware of a new function of things that is much more natural, useful, and lovelier than what we presently know it to be.
The difficulty is in maintaining that view all day every day in a world that does not support that view. I have to remind myself every time I look at a plant that it has its own spirit. Every time I touch my herbs while I know these herbs were grown specifically for my use magically and spiritually I still have to remind myself they give their life force to me when I work with them. Its this reminder of their life force energy that gets me into a magical mindset. Reminding myself that their sacrifice is what allows me to work magic gets me ready to work with that herb.

Seraphin wrote:I also agree with this. Objects do absorb the energy of their previous owner, their maker or the one who has held it. Witchcraft tools and religious materials can absorb the imprint of rituals or spells performed or directed toward it. And such imprints don't vanish easily.
This is why the extra cleansing is necessary. This is also why other rituals may need to be done to make the tools further attuned to you rather than their previous owners.
Seraphin wrote:I haven't thought about making a ritual blade to cut negative energetic ties. Perhaps I should try that.
One of the roles of the ritual blade is to cut. This cutting does not have to be physical but can be spiritual and energetic as well. Scissors i guess could also be used in the same manner. Its the action of cutting that is important here.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

loona wynd wrote:No question about that. Historically there was no difference between that which was magical and that which was mundane. There are some witches today who still follow this same basic practice. They see no reason to have a seperate pot for witchcraft and magical practices when they can use the same one they made last nights soup in.

That is also where the original image of the cauldron comes from. At one point in time the house hold pot and thus the cauldrons of witches was essentially a cast iron pot suspended over the houses cooking fire or held up on three legs over the fire. Most people would only be able to afford one pot so the cooking pot becomes the cauldron for magical brews
Yeah, it didn't matter at all what TOOLS one uses and one has. It didn't matter at all if I was using a cast-iron pot before and I'm just using a household casserole now. Tools are just instruments through which we channel the forces and our energies to draw the effects for our intents and desires. They just give extra boost in our magick. But the true magick comes from us. :fairy:

This belief, that all things are good to use both in mundane and magick, has freed me from misconception; the belief that only this object is appropriate (because the book says so) and all the rest are inappropriate.

I have come to believe that the Force and Magick is in everything, whatever tools he/she use or tradition he/she professes. There is only one Force, and the Force cannot contradict itself.

Thank you for helping me realize this.
loona wynd wrote:This is also why the true masters can cast spells effectively without any tools what soever. To be honest the first type of spell casting and magic taught in the Temple tradition is the use of the mind and body motions to direct energy rather than working with any crystals, herbs and candles. Its all in the mind... Its really in the minds ability to focus and concentrate that magic happens.
You're right, ancient (and also modern magick) refers to the mind and soul cooperating with the material plane or the body to manifest certain activities. Magick works depending on what we seek as its deal or as our guide. Like what I've said in my previous posts (and perhaps in the other threads), everything has magick and the subtle energies and properties is only a manifestation of spirit force crying out for expression.

Many cannot get the idea that magick is also of the Mind, the more highly developed or evolved the mind of man is, the greater will be his magick :D . Of course, this does not mean that a person who possess great magick is necessarily highly intelligent. This is not always the case. Though magickians and witches at ancient times were once called wise man or women due to their incredible wisdom. There are also some people who can do magick without necessary studies and practices (Other people can put a jinx on some people even by mere staring :evilwitch: ). Such shortcuts I believe are to be discouraged because they can lead into some complication or emotional instability.
loona wynd wrote:The difficulty is in maintaining that view all day every day in a world that does not support that view. I have to remind myself every time I look at a plant that it has its own spirit. Every time I touch my herbs while I know these herbs were grown specifically for my use magically and spiritually I still have to remind myself they give their life force to me when I work with them. Its this reminder of their life force energy that gets me into a magical mindset. Reminding myself that their sacrifice is what allows me to work magic gets me ready to work with that herb.
Haha... Exactly!

How can a magickal folk maintain this view if he's living in an ordinary world, with no knowledge about magick or developed perception and heightened sensitivity to subtle forces?

I believe inner awareness is the key to maintain it. Simply by becoming aware of the feelings and energies of everything around us.

Being aware of these subtle energies emanating from things we hold or places we go or persons we meet should be practiced daily, I believe. Everything, from man to animals to plants and herbs to stones to our tools and to even a place, radiates certain colors called the "aura". We should somehow learn how to sense light coming out of them that normally escape the average person. We could also use this ability to read the spirit force of things.
loona wynd wrote:One of the roles of the ritual blade is to cut. This cutting does not have to be physical but can be spiritual and energetic as well. Scissors i guess could also be used in the same manner. Its the action of cutting that is important here.
Thanks for your suggestions loona, I'm going to try that! smiley_dance Yes, yes!
Seraphin

Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

You've got lots of options available. When I first started practicing Witchcraft, I burned things in a big glass bowl. An outdoor fire pit or grill are good options, even if your neighbors wonder what you're "cooking" when you're outside at the witching hour. I read somewhere that you can use a metal coffee can lined with aluminum foil. I haven't tried that one myself, but I do have a can set aside just in case. Symbolically, the cauldron and the chalice both represent the womb of the goddess, and so one can easily be interchanged with the other. For your cooking needs, I would suggest any vessel that is oven and dishwasher safe. It may not look magickal, but if you think it is, so shall it be. For your burning needs, use any fireproof vessel and try to place it on something equally fireproof.
As for kitty, well you can't blame the poor guy. Some animals are quite attracted to magickal items ....and just about everything. My suggestion is to keep certain things in kitty free zones. For example, my new mini altar is a mirror with an attached basket that hangs on the wall. I'm pretty sure my cat can't jump that high and my ferret probably won't be standing on the cat's shoulders any time soon. :P
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The practical Virgo in me asks if the cauldron can be repaired somehow. Maybe some kind of metal adhesive to patch it or if you have a blow torch and some re-rod? Or know a welder? Someone at an auto-body repair shop would have the know how and tools. For immediate, need-it-now, any pan will do, as has been so well covered above. Nice posts.

Cats! Ya gotta love 'em. They drink the blessed water out of my altar bowl unless I use a screen like a potpourri cover. Cheesecloth works too.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”