Favorite Tools?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Favorite Tools?

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:
loona wynd wrote:Personally I have always considered the wand to be an earth tool. Then again I also had different invocational energy directional tool for each element. Water was a razor clam shell, air was a feather, earth was my wand, and fire was an athame or ritual blade.
I remember reading on another site some one had a wand from a root and it was very earth energy she said.
Part of that for me is based on where the tool comes from. Athames while the metals come from the earth, they are melted and forged in fire. So fire is what essentially made that a tool in its form. Feathers come from birds which fly in the air. So that is why they are air elements. Clam shells again are in the ocean so they are water. Wands are typically made out of a tree or wood of some sort which I consider entirely earth based so they are earth tools.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I feel like the odd one out. :P

My favorite tools tend to be stones. I have a few from different countries that I've visited, a few fossilized shark's teeth, and some other crystals (mostly quartz and moonstone).
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Vesca wrote:I feel like the odd one out. :P

My favorite tools tend to be stones. I have a few from different countries that I've visited, a few fossilized shark's teeth, and some other crystals (mostly quartz and moonstone).
Not at all. That's pretty cool. Especially that you have some from other countries. It's like you have the whole world thee.
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

loona wynd wrote:Now that would be a powerful piece of wood. That land probably vibrates incredibly high with energy.
Well, yes, I would have to agree here. The wood itself, before I crafted it, had an almost tingling sensation when I picked it up.
loona wynd wrote:Your wand is made from two different woods? How did that work? I've never heard of that before...
Yes, some of the wands I make, I fuse together, through many different means. Sometimes with copper wiring, other times using tension between pieces to hold it together, but more often than not, simple hot glue holds them just fine. Not very majickal at all, but it gets the job done. I take alot of care to make sure it doesn't look like a school craft fair project though, and they usually turn out beautiful :)

EDIT: This is one of the wands like that. This one also made from Oak and Apple, though different trees than the one mine are made from. This one's a simple blue thread decoration (signifying water association), Oak base, Apple shaft, and clear quartz emitter. http://phoenixwands.com/?product=oak-and-apple-wand
loona wynd wrote:What is your tradition?
Eh, tough question, and an even tougher answer. I'm basically of the eclectic flavour, but I'm more of a "grey witch" than most people I know, and as you might remember from other posts in my pasts, I have a darker side too. I keep it all in balance though, and it's worked for me so far in life. I would probably call myself "a grey witch, that follows many wiccan tenants, but follows her own unique path between light and dark, teaching all, and learning from everyone."
loona wynd wrote:personally when it comes to wands I find that the characteristics of the wood make it either masculine or feminine. My wand is masculine because its oak, it also has that sort of feel. Now another wood like willow or apple I might consider feminine in nature. Does that make sense to you?
Yes, and that's usually how it works for me as well. We as humans do not control what is masculine or feminine, and as such, I allow the pieces I work on to tell me themselves what they want to be. You can't judge a book by the cover. I mean look at me; born as a male, becoming a female. Defining something as majickal as a tool, without considering what it has to say itself, is like telling a colorblind person about colors.....
loona wynd wrote:Personally I have always considered the wand to be an earth tool. Then again I also had different invocational energy directional tool for each element. Water was a razor clam shell, air was a feather, earth was my wand, and fire was an athame or ritual blade.
For me, I assume nothing about a tool, but this ties into my little comment right above this..

Holdasown wrote: I tend to think of wands as air but I would imagine that one would be fire charged. So you sense both elements or just the fire?
Mostly just the fire, but it works fine as an air tool as well, so I guess both. However, in reality, if you and the tool you use, are as in sync with each others energies as you should be, I would think it safe to assume that you could really use any tool, with any element.. Within reason of course..
Vesca wrote: I feel like the odd one out. :P
I would have to say, no, don't! I think that's actually really neat, and it makes your path that much more unique for you! :D
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Vesca wrote:I feel like the odd one out. :P

I like my crystals as well. I have a few that are very important to me and others that are less important to me. They are fun.

i think its cool to have some from the different countries you have visited. What are some of those locations?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

PhoenixFlight wrote:
loona wynd wrote:Now that would be a powerful piece of wood. That land probably vibrates incredibly high with energy.
Well, yes, I would have to agree here. The wood itself, before I crafted it, had an almost tingling sensation when I picked it up.
Laurie Cabot's shop used to have a high vibrational energy to it, and there are less rituals worked there than on the land of their house. The more rituals you work in an area the more it absorbs the magical energy and the more powerful the spot can become for work. This is one of the reasons why churches have a significantly different energetic feel than say a classroom for the priesthood. One has regular rituals and worship in it and the other less frequent practices and power raised.

You are lucky to have that wood. I am a dedicant in the Temple tradition of witchcraft. The founder's first teacher and so part of the core of the Temple tradition is based off of the Cabot tradition. Penczak is initiated to the third degree in the Cabot tradition and many of those teachings made it into the Temple tradition (as often happens when traditions spin off from the original base). So for me connections to the Cabots are important.

I've never actually met Laurie Cabot. Though I did catch a glimpse of her once when she was in her shop giving readings before it closed down. I would like to meet her some day and I may still have a chance. I can say that I felt wisdom and a sense of power yet peace coming from her when I caught the glimpse.

So any way. To get back on track. I believe that you were meant to have that piece of wood. I believe strongly that things come into our lives for a reason, even if we don't know what that reason is right away. That wood may have resonated with you and felt something in you that it wanted to be with you. The fact that you felt and sensed its power are part of this key thought process.
PhoenixFlight wrote:Yes, some of the wands I make, I fuse together, through many different means. Sometimes with copper wiring, other times using tension between pieces to hold it together, but more often than not, simple hot glue holds them just fine. Not very majickal at all, but it gets the job done. I take alot of care to make sure it doesn't look like a school craft fair project though, and they usually turn out beautiful :)
Thats cool. I mean I know that there were often multiple woods involved in different crafted objects historically. I had just never heard of a wand being made out of more than one peice or wood or branch. The exception to that was occasionally a few of the Harry Potter style wands that some witches have bought because they like the look and the feel.

Typically I find its a branch that a person has decorated or blessed for different things. Mine isn't decorated. It was simply blessed and consecrated with oil. I thought about toping it with a crystal at one point but I don't have the wire to do that and it didn't seem to fit right. This wand seems to be fine just being the wood and oil blessed. I may have taken off some of the bark as part of the process..I've had it so long now I dont quite remember except for how it came into my life. Would you like to hear?
PhoenixFlight wrote:EDIT: This is one of the wands like that. This one also made from Oak and Apple, though different trees than the one mine are made from. This one's a simple blue thread decoration (signifying water association), Oak base, Apple shaft, and clear quartz emitter. http://phoenixwands.com/?product=oak-and-apple-wand
Its beautiful. You seem to have a knack for making wands. I really like it. Its simple and yet elegant at the same time. Good luck selling your wands and developing your business. I know you have sold some in big places already. Still I wish you continued good luck.
PhoenixFlight wrote:Eh, tough question, and an even tougher answer.
I'm good at those.
PhoenixFlight wrote: I'm basically of the eclectic flavour, but I'm more of a "grey witch" than most people I know, and as you might remember from other posts in my pasts, I have a darker side too. I keep it all in balance though, and it's worked for me so far in life. I would probably call myself "a grey witch, that follows many wiccan tenants, but follows her own unique path between light and dark, teaching all, and learning from everyone."
To me all witchcraft is really gray. There is no real black or white. Even a blessing could be a curse to some one. One persons blessing is another persons curse. Something that heals for one person could cause more harm than good to another person. Nothing is ever the same in magic and witchcraft.

I wondered if you were apart of the Cabot tradition or if you had taken some study with them because of your specific mention of the Cabot family. As I said before in this post and elsewhere on the site I am a student of Penczak and the Temple tradition which via proxy sort of makes me a student of the Cabots. I basically believe that if a tradition is spun off of or developed from a base in another specific tradition, students of the spin off tradition should study and explore the parent tradition to understand the current tradition more. Plus Penczak basically requires his students to read Laurie Cabot's work. Its so strongly suggested that it may as well be required...

I have found that all witches, even if they follow a foundation of a specified tradition are in the end eclectic. Witchcraft itself is an eclectic practice. There are so many different ways to practice and explore and experience witchcraft that its impossible for it not to be inherently eclectic. That and most witches I know that follow a specific tradition have other influences they include in personal practice that may not be a part of coven practice.
PhoenixFlight wrote:Yes, and that's usually how it works for me as well. We as humans do not control what is masculine or feminine, and as such, I allow the pieces I work on to tell me themselves what they want to be. You can't judge a book by the cover. I mean look at me; born as a male, becoming a female. Defining something as majickal as a tool, without considering what it has to say itself, is like telling a colorblind person about colors.....
I agree. Like I have said here and elsewhere. I believe the tools speak to us and call to us. I believe that they are the ones that will direct us in their use. That is in part why I developed the elemental invocation tools I did. I didn't like the feel of using my wand or athame for all of the elements. It seemed forced and unnatural. When I used a tool of that elemental force and realm it flowed much more naturally.

The only ritual I use the wand or the athame for all of the elements is the LBRP and that depends on which one I feel like using at the time. I may actually start using my ritual sword for that. At least I may bring it out and have it gather vibrations from that ritual. The sword is one I am blessing and filling with the power of the arch angel Michel. So it makes sense to have it gather vibrations from the LBRP.

In general I have found that most of the tools do energetically fit within traditional male or female or masculine and feminine concepts. The athame for me is masculine. The chalice feminine. The two work together to create a symbolic great rite and thus together have the power of creation. The pentacle as a tool isn't something I've ever really understood or used. Candles and incense to me can be either depending on color and the element associated.
PhoenixFlight wrote:For me, I assume nothing about a tool, but this ties into my little comment right above this..
The comment was more directed at traditional associations as you mentioned in your OP to this thread. I feel that In general wands are an earth tool. However that does not mean it applies to them all. Yours for example I would feel would be more fire inclined as it was forged partially in fire (lightning strike). Others could be water based. Like a driftwood based wand would probably be water tied for me. Again though the idea is in general that they are for me earth based when coming directly off a tree.

That being said I also believe that each element contains all the other elements. So wands can be tied to each individual elements through the earth aspects of that element. Again this is all personal theory based on experience and just feelings on the situation. There is no real right or wrong about it. We must as witches found out what works for us. No two witches will ever feel the exact same way about things, even if they have the same teacher and come from the same tradition!
MysticDreamFaerie

Post by MysticDreamFaerie »

I'm not sure if this is considered a tool or not, but I own a feather that I've bought from a New Age shop and I use it whenever I'm smudging my crystals and stones. It's a beautiful feather and it's the only tool I own at the moment.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." ~Tori Amos
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

MysticDreamer_Sam wrote:I'm not sure if this is considered a tool or not, but I own a feather that I've bought from a New Age shop and I use it whenever I'm smudging my crystals and stones. It's a beautiful feather and it's the only tool I own at the moment.
That would very much be considered a tool. Tools in witchcraft and magic are objects and items you use to direct, carry, or release energy as part of the spell or ritual. I had a feather once before that I used in many different rituals. I've mentioned that in a few posts in this thread. So it is a very good tool.

You can use feathers to cast circles and work with the elements. I have. You can use them in directing magical energy like you would a wand or athame. Feathers are wonderful tools that can be used in many different ways.
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

Loona, I can not possibly break down and reply to each part that you typed out, at least not on this little avaiable brain power (curse ALL freakoin SEO reports straight to hades.... -_- ), but suffice it to say, that I agree wirth most of your comments as if they were my own, and I actually would love to hear more about how that wand came to you, though if you think it wiser, so as to not clutter the thread too much (although it is a thread about tools after all), you could always pm me. I'm also curious to know a little more about your following of being a student of Penczak. And although it was brief, when I did meet Laurie herself, I got that same feeling/sense of energy from her too :)

Also, an offer I have been turning over in my head for a while now, I think would be appropriate for placement in this thread. If anyone would like, within reason, I would be more than happy to make wands (or other simple tools from wood I suppose) for members here, as long as they can pay the shipping charge to get it to them (generally ranges between $5-10). I'll probably make a new thread/topic for this if it gets enough interest, though I kinda thought this of all threads, would be a good place to see who would even be interested...

~Phoenix
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

My strongest tool is my athame. It was my only tool for my 1st few years into Wicca, besides various cereal bowls that were replaced when i got a 1-qrt iron cauldron. My lucky-find "working" stone is a palm sized red Jasper for healing & meditating. As for expendables - candles, hands down.
manicpixidream

Post by manicpixidream »

I love the water that is on my altar. I lived in Minnesota for 9 months and I would go to Lake Superior to pray (I was a practicing Christian at the time) and it was a very spiritually powerful place for me. Before I left, I got some pebbles and water in a small glass bottle and glued it shut. My second favorite items are the China pieces I inherited from my grandmother and the amethyst chunk. She was a very spiritual woman, even if it was a different spirituality. I see those items as my connections to my ancestors.
:flyingwitch: manicpixidream :flyingwitch:
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

My athame, the new wand I am currently working on, my semi-precious stones, and my tarot cards! So pretty much all of them :P

I don't seem to be vibing with my old wand. I like my new one much better and it's not even done yet! Still deciding what to do with it. Leave it plain or add clay sculptures? Paint it or not? Taper it down more or not? I have been sleeping with it by my bed though. Haven't thought about naming it or any of the tools, that sounds like a fun idea <3
Silentfeather
Banned Member

Post by Silentfeather »

My wand, it was hand crafted in Africa, the only reason it's my favorite is because I sense energy in it will I hold it
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I need to get some sand and water from Medano Creek when I go down there Friday.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

My favourite has to be the two crystals I got right at the beginning of my path. It's a rose quartz and a tiger's eye. At the beginning, they represented the God (tigers eye - wisdom, protection) and the Goddess (rose quartz - love, healing). I use to use them as a "mini altar" of sorts, and held them in corresponding hands when I prayed to the God and Goddess. They were the first "tools" I've ever gotten and I still love them. :D
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”