Favorite Tools?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Favorite Tools?

Post by loona wynd »

Do you have a favorite ritual tool that you work with? Why or why not?

I don't know that I have a favorite ritual tool on my altar. I know I had some unorthodox elemental weapons and calling tools at one period of time. I am actually thinking about going back to that set up and working. Each tool to me has its own benefits to use but also there are limits to their use as well. So What is your favorite ritual tool?
random417

Re: Favorite Tools?

Post by random417 »

LOL! Badger :) badger is a walking cane purposed as my multi function staff/wand. He's also an anchor for a long term thoughtform, so I've gotten to watch him learn right along with me and grow. I don't know if you'll think it strange, but I have a great working relationship with him, and honestly a great deal of affection as well. He's really one of a kind. I'll share pictures later, if my battery holds out
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

random417 wrote:LOL! Badger :) badger is a walking cane purposed as my multi function staff/wand. He's also an anchor for a long term thoughtform, so I've gotten to watch him learn right along with me and grow. I don't know if you'll think it strange, but I have a great working relationship with him, and honestly a great deal of affection as well. He's really one of a kind. I'll share pictures later, if my battery holds out
Sounds like you have put a lot of energy into making him. If he doesn't mind his photo being taken I'd love to see it. It sounds like you two are partners. Did you create the thought form? I don't think its strange at all. If your tool has a thought form inside it as its spirit force than I think having a working relationship with them is important.

I have a few tools. I have a wand that was gifted to me by an oak tree (a dead limb and branch from that limb of a live tree) when I asked it for it. The wand has been effective at working energy with me but its not really my favorite. I had a feather for working with air elementals and air spells but its long gone. I have a few different ritual blades. I have one on my altar for fire and I have one on my ancestral altar as well.

I am going to start the process of creating a few new tools for my workings. These are different tools than I am used to working with but they have called out to me from my research. So I am going to make them. These tools are also going to help me focus and work with a specific being which is good. I just need to find the right tool to strip the bark of a staff of birch that was given to me via raffle luck. I knew I needed it for something but I wasnt sure what but I know now. I just don't know what to use to strip the bark and I am not sure where my pocket knife actually went to.

I think the tools that I am going to make myself are going to be the ones that mean the most to me and become my favorites.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Ausdauer- my athame
I wasn't feeling a connection and did a naming ritual. Now I use him for everything, including cutting. I sleep with him when I can't find the answer to a question and it comes in my dream. There is a strong energy when I pick him up and I reblood him once a year. Usually Halloween.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:Ausdauer- my athame
I wasn't feeling a connection and did a naming ritual. Now I use him for everything, including cutting. I sleep with him when I can't find the answer to a question and it comes in my dream. There is a strong energy when I pick him up and I reblood him once a year. Usually Halloween.
So do you think it was the naming ritual that bonded you to your athame?

My athame was gifted to me by my fiance'. It was one of the best gifts he has ever given to me. The athame remains on my primary worship altar. I have other ritual blades I use for working with other spirits, but my athame is special. It was given to me as a Christmas gift by my fiance'. I even charged it one night with the two of us in circle embracing each other fully passionately and sexually with the blade between us.

I've never used it for cutting anything physical. The blade is not sharp enough. I also don't know how I feel about my blood or any blood getting on my athame. There is a lot of lore out there that says it should never be used for physical cutting or come into contact with blood of any sort. So this is a practice I have personally kept. Though I do need to get a ritual knife to use for cutting.

Why did you decide to use your blood in the ritual?
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

loona wynd wrote:So do you think it was the naming ritual that bonded you to your athame?

My athame was gifted to me by my fiance'. It was one of the best gifts he has ever given to me. The athame remains on my primary worship altar. I have other ritual blades I use for working with other spirits, but my athame is special. It was given to me as a Christmas gift by my fiance'. I even charged it one night with the two of us in circle embracing each other fully passionately and sexually with the blade between us.

I've never used it for cutting anything physical. The blade is not sharp enough. I also don't know how I feel about my blood or any blood getting on my athame. There is a lot of lore out there that says it should never be used for physical cutting or come into contact with blood of any sort. So this is a practice I have personally kept. Though I do need to get a ritual knife to use for cutting.

Why did you decide to use your blood in the ritual?
Oh yeah definitely the naming ceremony was what charged the knife up. I approached the matter from a heathen perspective. Most Norse and Germanic weapons are named. While not a weapon per se I wanted to improve the bond and that seemed the way to got. I consecrated and sharpened the knife before I named it and decided to use it for everything magic related. I was aware of the restrictions some put on the athame but it wasn't working for me not to. I used blood same as I use it to blood runes or when doing a rune offering. When it was all said and done the blade now feels like a him. Blood is like putting a name label on something. I guess it was a way to mark it as mine only. I didn't just pick a name either I did it then slept with the knife in the sheath of course. The name came in several dreams I had that night.
elloclarice

Post by elloclarice »

My favorite ritual tool is actually a piece of jade. It helps me become able to focus on my rituals, to calm down and so much more. I guess you could say it's like my wand in a way although I have a wand
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

my fav is an insence holder of a star. I ve 2 athames, none for physical cutting. I've a cat statue and many candles. no chalice aand no couldron tho. my silver cloth is at my old altar. what tools are female and what male?
*Blessed Be*
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

ziggishark wrote:My favorite ritual tool is actually a piece of jade. It helps me become able to focus on my rituals, to calm down and so much more. I guess you could say it's like my wand in a way although I have a wand
Jade huh? Thats cool. I wonder what properties the stone jade has aside from being associated with the underworld...
elloclarice

Post by elloclarice »

MAGICAL PROPERTIES: Jade is considered one of the most important symbols of purity and serenity. It is also revered as an ancient symbol of love. The Maoris regard Jade as a stone that brings luck, especially specimens that are dark olive-green in color. The ancient Chinese felt that Jade helps to inspire the mind to make quick and precise decisions. The ancient trader would often hold this gem in the palm of his right hand while he engaged in business transactions. Carved into a scarab, Jade is said to bring its owner a long and prosperous life. It is also said that wearing Jade while gardening will improve the health of the plants. Similarly, small pieces of Jade can be buried along the perimeter for this purpose. It is worn for protection during defensive magical workings.

HEALING: Jade has been called "colic stone", "spleen stone" and "stone of the loins". It is said that by tying jade to the arm, stones in the kidneys can be expelled. The ancient Greeks used this mineral for healing ailments of the eyes. Wearing Jade helps the body to heal itself while working on the underlying, nonphysical problems which cause the disease in the first place.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote: Oh yeah definitely the naming ceremony was what charged the knife up. I approached the matter from a heathen perspective. Most Norse and Germanic weapons are named. While not a weapon per se I wanted to improve the bond and that seemed the way to go.
That would make sense to me considering your path. Every path is different. You come from a background where things are much different than most forms of modern witchcraft. So following practices of that culture is something I respect.
Holdasown wrote:I consecrated and sharpened the knife before I named it and decided to use it for everything magic related. I was aware of the restrictions some put on the athame but it wasn't working for me not to. I used blood same as I use it to blood runes or when doing a rune offering. When it was all said and done the blade now feels like a him.
Blood is a very powerful offering to spirits. Its one that shouldn't be taken lightly. I think you did the right thing following your intuition. There are many experiences in Germanic/Heathen paths where blooding a tool or a spell is essential to the power within. So you not only followed your intuition but also cultural practices.
Holdasown wrote: Blood is like putting a name label on something. I guess it was a way to mark it as mine only. I didn't just pick a name either I did it then slept with the knife in the sheath of course. The name came in several dreams I had that night.
By giving it your blood I also believe you give it a bit of your spirit. I think that's why they have names and can come to you in your dreams. The blood flowing through your veins is an indication of you being a live through a heart beat. So in giving blood you are giving part of your life force into the object. That is at least a theory I have.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

greekwiccan wrote:my fav is an insence holder of a star.
Any reason why that is your favorite tool?
greekwiccan wrote:I ve 2 athames, none for physical cutting.
Why two? I have a few different ritual blades myself but each has a unique purpose or at least spirit or ritual its used in.
greekwiccan wrote: I've a cat statue and many candles. no chalice aand no couldron
I didn't have a cauldron for a long time. For my chalice I used a goblet from a Middle ages themed restaurant I went to. Your chalice can be any cup you dedicate to that purpose if you even want to use a chalice. You may find a different sort of drinking vessel is appropriate. I'm looking to get a drinking horn for example for my Norse style rituals. Not a chalice.
greekwiccan wrote:tho. my silver cloth is at my old altar.
Its important to remember that no ritual tool is ever really a requirement. You can perform rituals with out any fancy dedicated tools. You can also perform rituals in your kitchen with your food being cooked and served as the ritual itself. There are many things you can do for rituals and many different tools available. Unless you belong to a specific tradition in the end you don't need any specific tools. They are fun to use though.

It can take time to acquire tools. I have personally found that they will come to you when the time is right. There are many different tools out there and many different practices. If you are meant to have and work with a tool the universe will provide it for you.
greekwiccan wrote:what tools are female and what male?
This is a more in depth topic than I would like to get into here. Different traditions do things differently so perhaps a new thread is in order?
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

I would say that's an easy question for me. Being a wandmaker, I have a natural affinity towards wands, but I also have other reason for my wand being my favorite. Its' base is made from a lightning-struck branch from an Oak tree, that's over 200 years old, and has been on property owned by the Cabot family for supposedly several generations. That being said, it has the residual energy built up from the Cabots' rituals over those centuries. On top of that, the other half of the wand is made from an old apple tree branch (nature-shed as well of course), and has a clear crystal quartz tip. My tradition, like Holdasown, involves blooding as well, as it is a very strong bond between the caster and the object/focal point. I have yet to name the wand, though it certainly has a specific personality, and contrary to many "modern" paths, it does not have a masculine fell, but rather a feminine one. I find it interesting too, that wands generally represent Air (again, depending on your own beliefs, this may vary), though with mine, being lighting-charged, it falls under the realm of fire-charged, and most certainly does better when I use energy from the Fire elementals instead of Air..
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

PhoenixFlight wrote:I would say that's an easy question for me. Being a wandmaker, I have a natural affinity towards wands, but I also have other reason for my wand being my favorite. Its' base is made from a lightning-struck branch from an Oak tree, that's over 200 years old, and has been on property owned by the Cabot family for supposedly several generations. That being said, it has the residual energy built up from the Cabots' rituals over those centuries.
Now that would be a powerful piece of wood. That land probably vibrates incredibly high with energy.
PhoenixFlight wrote:On top of that, the other half of the wand is made from an old apple tree branch (nature-shed as well of course), and has a clear crystal quartz tip.
Your wand is made from two different woods? How did that work? I've never heard of that before...
PhoenixFlight wrote:My tradition, like Holdasown, involves blooding as well, as it is a very strong bond between the caster and the object/focal point.
What is your tradition?
PhoenixFlight wrote:I have yet to name the wand, though it certainly has a specific personality, and contrary to many "modern" paths, it does not have a masculine fell, but rather a feminine one.
personally when it comes to wands I find that the characteristics of the wood make it either masculine or feminine. My wand is masculine because its oak, it also has that sort of feel. Now another wood like willow or apple I might consider feminine in nature. Does that make sense to you?
PhoenixFlight wrote:I find it interesting too, that wands generally represent Air (again, depending on your own beliefs, this may vary), though with mine, being lighting-charged, it falls under the realm of fire-charged, and most certainly does better when I use energy from the Fire elementals instead of Air..
Personally I have always considered the wand to be an earth tool. Then again I also had different invocational energy directional tool for each element. Water was a razor clam shell, air was a feather, earth was my wand, and fire was an athame or ritual blade.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

loona wynd wrote:Personally I have always considered the wand to be an earth tool. Then again I also had different invocational energy directional tool for each element. Water was a razor clam shell, air was a feather, earth was my wand, and fire was an athame or ritual blade.
I remember reading on another site some one had a wand from a root and it was very earth energy she said.
PhoenixFlight wrote:I find it interesting too, that wands generally represent Air (again, depending on your own beliefs, this may vary), though with mine, being lighting-charged, it falls under the realm of fire-charged, and most certainly does better when I use energy from the Fire elementals instead of Air..
I tend to think of wands as air but I would imagine that one would be fire charged. So you sense both elements or just the fire?

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”