What should I buy first?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Pinkpower_80

What should I buy first?

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

I've not been able to buy anything yet concerning Wicca & I was wondering if I could get some opinions about what to get first. I'm on a VERY limited budget but I want to start doing rituals, circles & set up my altar ASAP.
My altar will have to be small because I don't want my kids to be able to get to it.

Tomorrow I'm going to the dollar store to buy some candles & I've already got a zip up binder for my BOS so that's covered for now.

I'm feeling overwhelmed at everything I need so I would love some advice on what essentials to get & possibly some good sources to buy them from.

Thanks!
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

In all honesty you really dont need anything just visualize it but starting out I just had a couple candles my finger as an athame and a tray as my alter if your new to the whole thing(not saying you are) id recommend buying some books and do some more reading and if you are new to the whole experience then id say slow and steady, take your time, theres no rush I studied the craft well over a year before I attempted anything besides a self dedication ritual.. but thats just me. Hope that helps if you want to know anythinf specific feel free to ask. BB
Echo_of_shadows

Re: What should I buy first?

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I know that this is the cheesy answer, but I'm going to share it anyway: You already have the most essential tool, yourself. :D
You've got a good start by heading to the dollar store. Second hand stores are also great especially for us that don't have tons of extra cash. I recommend looking on YouTube for ideas for where to get stuff cheap and how to make Craft tools yourself. When I first started looking at YouTube videos for magickal ideas, I believe my search words were "DIY Wicca." Since you have kids at home, you might want to look into buying battery operated candles. These are also available at dollar stores.
I believe that the decision of what to get first is entirely up to you, especially if you are a solitary practitioner. If you are working with a coven or other group, you might want to ask the leader/High Priestess/High Priest what they would recommend, especially if you are expected to bring your own tools to Sabbats, Esbats or other events, or if their rituals work with a specific tool a lot.
Don't forget to check the library for Wiccan books and check online for free downloadable copies of popular book.
On a very practical note, make sure you have a safe place to keep your magickal tools. Some of the tools that will need to be kept out of the reach of small children and even pets are: athames, swords, bolines, oils, small stones, loose incense, lighters/matches (not really magickal tools, but you'll need them for candles and incense).
I hope this information gives you a good start in the right direction. If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask. There are plenty of us here who are happy to help. :)
Pinkpower_80

What should I buy first?

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Thank you Echo for such a wonderful answer. Going through your post I realize that I have more than I thought I did, especially myself lol. :)

I am a solitary practitioner, mainly out of necessity. I really would love to be part of a coven but its not practical for me because I'm unable to drive due to health reasons. Plus I wouldn't have anyone to watch my rug rats while I would be gone to coven meetings lol.

I've got a good start on an ebook collection that I'm very excited about. I love to read & study anything I can.
I haven't watched any YouTube videos yet because it's honestly not even occurred to me to do so lol. I'll get on that today & make a list of some things!
I've been inspired by looking at a lot of the altar pics on here. Y'all have some really gorgeous altars!
If it's ok I'd like to use this thread to help me keep a list of what I've got/plan to get. My brain gets so overwhelmed & it's so easy for me to lose focus so this will help me keep it straight. Plus I can get some feedback.

Blessed Be,
Pink
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I agree with everyone you don't have to have anything. The internet is a great source for free information. If you really want a tool go with wand. Wood lays outside on the ground free!! Research your trees. Learn some leaves and go get a wand. Killing lots of birds there with one stone.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

You can also use some things around the house, pick them up cheap at a 2nd hand store or yardsale.

Here are some cheap solutions but make sure you consecrate them and ONLY use them for spells & rituals

Athame: Steak knife
Wand: Wooden Dowel (can pick one up cheap at home depot)
Pentacle: Use a pot and melt some wax on the stove (a pillar candle or some paraffin wax from the canning section of the grocery store, you can add green food coloring or special herbs to it if you like) pour it into a round glass pie pan (or something smaller but it should be round). When it's done you can carve whatever symbols you want with your boline (witch's knife for crafts) or use a soldering gun/wood burning tool.
Cup/Chalice: Go to a dollar store and pick up a wine glass for a $1 or find one at a yard sale
Censor/Incense Burner: You can use a small bowl with sand in the bottom or pick one up cheap at a dollar store
Cauldron: You can use a cast iron pot if you have one. I like to recommend this site http://www.river-village.com/. It's a wholesale store but you can still order you don't need a resale certificate. The only catch is that there is a minimum order of $35 or more. But a wonderful resource for tools and ingredients.

You can also put your own personal stamp on them by painting and carving whatever symbols you like.

Hope that helps!
Goddess Bless! <3
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Thank you all! My bf makes custom knives so when he can he's going to make an athame for me. He wants to make it out of Damascus steel which is quite pricey but it's important to him to do that for me, which makes it even more special! <3 It'll be a while before we can afford enough of it but thankfully it won't need to be very big at all.
He's very handy, talented and smart which means he can make lots of goodies for me lol. He's down in his back right now so i'll need to wait until he's feeling better.
At the top of my wish list for him to make for me is an Altar chest. That way I can store my things in it while not in use, then when i wan to set it up I can have a large enough space on the top of it for my items.

Here is what i'm going to look at and (hopefully) get today at the dollar store:
Candles of varying colors, mostly tea lights but some tapers as well.
Candle holders
Wine glass
Offering dish (small bowls)
Incense holder
Incense (if they have any that appeals to me)

I'll probably think of more stuff later but a least it's a start lol. I'm going to do more research on trees to figure out what kind of wand I want.
Y'all are so wonderful for helping me. :)
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

You may want to pick up some cinnamon while you're out if you don't already have some. It's a wonderful herb that has so many purposes it can be used with just about any spell. I use it all the time to add power to my spells unless I have a specific spell or rite I'm doing that calls for something else. I like to sprinkle a pinch over the flames of my candles as I cast my circle.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

DPhoenix wrote:You may want to pick up some cinnamon while you're out if you don't already have some. It's a wonderful herb that has so many purposes it can be used with just about any spell. I use it all the time to add power to my spells unless I have a specific spell or rite I'm doing that calls for something else. I like to sprinkle a pinch over the flames of my candles as I cast my circle.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!
I actually found some sticks of it while looking for something in my pantry this evening lol. I love cinnamon. It was the only scent that didn't make me throw up while I was pregnant with my 3 year old. :lol:
I wasn't able to make it out to the store today but I did have my bf pick me up a 100 pk of white tea light candles and some sage.
Hopefully i'll be able to make it out at some point this weekend. :flyingwitch:
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

You may also want to check your local dollar store for herbal and spice goodies. It may not be as diverse a selection as magickal stores or health food stores, but it's a nice, inexpensive start. Most times when I go down the spice aisle, I stop and ask myself if I need something for either magick or cooking. Bonus points when you pick up something that can be used for both. smiley_dance
I know how hard it is to be a solitary practitioner and not have access to resources and others of like mind. I love making things myself especially since most things from the local magickal store seems to require a sacrificial limb in exchange for goods. :surprisedwitch:
I'd also like to suggest whipping up a batch of homemade "clay" for making things.
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 23715.html
I too have a set of runes similar to these and an altar pentacle made of salt dough. The pentacle is just a flat disc of dough that I glued colored, crushed eggshells to after the dough dried.
Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer »

If you're crafty, you can do what I did and buy some polymer clay so that you can make your own statuettes, pentacle, and/or candle holders. I just bought it, so I haven't done anything yet, but it's super cheap, so it's an idea.
QueenVictoria

Post by QueenVictoria »

All of those are wonderful suggestions. :)
Like Holdasown said, sticks are free. Nature is an excellent source for alter items: shells, pretty rocks, feathers, fresh cut flowers, etc. Next time you are at the beach or lake or park with the little ones keep your eye out for these and other things. There is really no need to spend much money at all, and like Hunter mentioned, books are the best investment to begin with.
Namaste
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:You may also want to check your local dollar store for herbal and spice goodies. It may not be as diverse a selection as magickal stores or health food stores, but it's a nice, inexpensive start. Most times when I go down the spice aisle, I stop and ask myself if I need something for either magick or cooking. Bonus points when you pick up something that can be used for both. smiley_dance
I know how hard it is to be a solitary practitioner and not have access to resources and others of like mind. I love making things myself especially since most things from the local magickal store seems to require a sacrificial limb in exchange for goods. :surprisedwitch:
I'd also like to suggest whipping up a batch of homemade "clay" for making things.
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 23715.html
I too have a set of runes similar to these and an altar pentacle made of salt dough. The pentacle is just a flat disc of dough that I glued colored, crushed eggshells to after the dough dried.
Echo those runes are beautiful! I'm gonna try that!
Thanks for the ideas & encouragement everyone. :fairy:
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Again, again, again, you don't have to have anything.

Past that, you'd probably be surprised what you have already. Do you have spices? seasoning herbs? fruit? nuts? water? cooking oil? Those can all be manipulated into magical tools. With just very basic cooking herbs, you cover a lot of magical symbolism and healing power:

GINGER relieves nausea, vomiting, and cramps as a tonic, and magically draws adventure and promotes sensuality, confidence, and success.
BASIL as a tea can reduce fever and can be used as a digestive aid and carminative. It symbolizes romance.
CILANTRO is a natural detoxifier and symbolizes protection and peace, and can help to attune you with your soul.
ROSEMARY quickens the senses and increases memory, and symbolizes remembrance.
THYME can induce sweating and promotes safe dreams.

These are just a few--my sources here are Dr. Judith Griffin's book, "Mother Nature's Herbal" and this online herbal grimoire for magickal correspondences http://www.themagickalcat.com/Articles.asp?ID=242
I would recommend going through the spices and herbs you have at home and looking them up to find out what sort of magical power you already have in your kitchen. Even just salt and pepper have magickal purposes! Salt is used to symbolize earth, for protection and cleansing; black pepper is for banishing negativity and protection from evil.

You might already have string at home for use in knot magic, or small candles for candle spells. Personally, if I did not have ANY of these things at home, the thing I would go and buy is candles. It is amazing how much a tiny flame can help focus your energies and thoughts, not to mention that when a candle is involved I think it FEELS more like a spell or ritual, although you can certainly do magic and worship without candles or without anything!

If you find you do have these things, or you disagree, or you want more, next I would say books. Invest in good books, but first read book reviews. I believe there's a whole section of this forum dedicated to book reviews. Check it out. It is never a bad idea to expand your knowledge on anything, and Paganism/Wicca/Witchcraft are no exceptions. But then, I'm a book person.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I can see this is an old thread, but some great ideas have been given. I'm gonna add some things that have worked for me. I made my own altar cloth. I'm not very good in embodiments, so I drew a pentagram on a white cloth and used some thread to make it. I'll make a picture soon. I also made my first Tarot deck. It took forever, but I did a search for a deck I could draw and I was actually very connected to it. I'm considering making another one as the one I am using now, I don't feel the same connection to. I usually make my own candles too. One day I just decided I'm not going to use only white candles anymore and bought some wax crayons to color my candles, if anyone is interested, I can describe the process. I'm using a fantastic chalice I found in a lev store (which is the equivalent of the dollar store) and also a cauldron I got there. I picked a wand I felt drawn to. In my hometown there is this little souvenir store, where I get my stones from. They are not very expensive and I only buy the ones I feel drawn to. My first pendulum was a stone with a hole in it, tied to a silver chain I used to wear and it worked just fine.
So, bottom line - you don't necessarily need to buy expensive stuff to work with. It's a lot more important to be connected to your tools.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”