Altar bells

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Purple star

Altar bells

Post by Purple star »

Hi, I just wondered if someone could explain when to use the bell during casting a circle. I have been doing a lot of research but this is one thing I am unable to find info on.. Thanks
lovebrighteyes

Re: Altar bells

Post by lovebrighteyes »

The bell clears away energy primarily negative. You can use it whenever you like. Before you cast the circle and after to clear the energy of the room might be nice. Sound breaks up energy. If you are an empath at all you will be able to feel that as well.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I ring mine once in awhile at the beginning to alert
my Lady Isis that I wish to talk with Her.
Gentle Light'
MsMolli
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

We have rung them during circle to notify another Priestess, when to send in the next covener to the seer...for instance.

To cast circle you could ring them at the quarters or all the way around...as you cast circle.
I use a singing bowl occasionally to cast circle, and to clear the vibrational aura of folks about to enter the circle.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

I use singing bowl too instead of a bell. My cats have bells,they chime in too sometimes
:)
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

You should use a bell whenever it feels right to you to use a bell.

I don't have a bell, although I might someday, and then I would decide how to incorporate it in ritual.

Traditionally, the sound of a bell is supposed to scare away demons, and especially the devil. This is why churches have bells, and why we clink glasses when we toast! The clink of glasses is supposed to imitate the sound of a bell, and scare away all evil spirits so that the toast and the evening may be pure and joyous.
miachrhys

Post by miachrhys »

I try to incorporate gemstones as a means of clearing away negativity, but sound is very powerful as well. I don't have a bell or use one in my practice. I think it is just one of those things that is used depending in whether or not you want one. I love the singing bowl idea!
Arwena23

Post by Arwena23 »

I just recently found a little bell that I put on my altar, and have used it a few times when casting the circle.

so if the ringing of a bell clears away negative energy, would it be good to use when cleansing a house/space or whathaveyou? I do a lot of cleansing lately bc I have been practicing psycic abilities (I am an empath)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I have a Tibetan "clapper-less" bell, and run a wooden dowel round-&-round the rim. This makes the bell resonate with an amazing vibrating hum that clears the air. Of course, you can thump the bell with the dowel to ring it, but the vibrating hum is awesome. I swear it sings. :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker wrote:I swear it sings.
:fairy:
Hence "singing bowl" !
Mine is one of those too, my cousin gave it to me because he couldn't make it work. :lol:
I swear it has a full range just as a singer, you can hear the highs and lows and everything in between.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I've been thinking about getting a singing bowl! I don't keep bells on my altar anymore. My cat keeps taking them away.

I have a series of bells attached to both my front and patio door to help break up negative energies as they come in.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”