West Wind

Share thoughts, poetry, feelings about the loss of a loved one (pets included).
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

West Wind

Post by Firebird »

On Thursday a dear sweet friend of mine has left the planet.
West Wind was 87, he had been a physics teacher for almost 30 years and then he turned to metaphysics. He had trained in many different esoteric schools of thought, he came to our circle in 1995.
He was a bit of a recluse, but came out for special events. His aluminum lawn chair became a standard as he was unable to stand for long periods.
We didn't see him much in the last few years after he had his knee surgery, he was unable to hike to the hill any more so only came for daytime rituals when it was at my house because he didn't like driving at night anymore.
I had a horrible feeling when the bird Albion showed up that West Wind would be flying soon. I called him and indeed he was not doing too well, a few days later he was in the hospital. Then in the next several months in and out of the hospital a few times, then 24 hour caretakers at his home, he really didn't want to die in the hospital.
I'm feeling terribly guilty, I called on Tuesday but his caretaker said he was sleeping, I said I would call back that afternoon but then got busy, forgot, then it was too late. Kicking myself now.
I and many others are going to miss this gentle quirky man. Fly free West Wind.
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Bychan Wulf

Re: West Wind

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Firebird! May West Wind have a safe journey!
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

West Wind is truly out there on the wind now. He spent his final time on his terms.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

We had his memorial service this weekend.
It was at a Vendanta Temple, and all the folks were so lovely, and the ceremony had lots of music, my self and a Druid friend did some speaking, and some of his friends and students came up with some really great stories.
It will be sad and hard to clean out his house, myself and the temple were the only ones named in his will. I'm missing him so much. Wishing for more conversation with him, he was so brilliant and interesting, a quester of all manner of knowledge with a wonderful outlook on life.
West Wind, we'll see you upon the breeze, many blessings of love my friend,
Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

You may find handling his household goods to be comforting and feel his touch continuing. It's his last gifts and he saved them for you.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thank you I appreciate the sentiments very much.
I had been entrusted to his ashes.
We took one final journey with West Wind across the land to our special hill where we had gathered so many times before. It was a beautiful Earth Day. We arrived at the hill just before dusk. It was perfect, the west wind rose up slightly to cool us from the warm hike, it was as if he were there. I drummed in the quarters, honored the all mother and all father, said prayers over the ashes.
We all made a toast and told stories of our dear friend, shed a tear or two, then I spread his ashes off the brow of the hill
...in the West.
We broke bread, sang "the river is flowing" . In closing, a charm that he and I had passed back and forth at our trading post rituals went into the Oak tree, permanently. As I placed yellow lilies and daffodils in the west along with an apple ...I was greeted by a rather large sphinx moth, which flutterd all about my feet and legs. It seemed significant. Hugs went all around and we bid our friend a fond farewell.
It's still hard to wrap my mind around this, even though it had been nearly 3 or so years since he had hiked to the hill it seemed like yesterday.
From this life to the Next!! Until we meet again my friend.
I.F.
Bb, forever in my heart
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

FF, the way you write shows how dear West wind was to your heart and that you did everything possible to show him last respect.
I'm sure your friendship will last beyond this life.

Return to “In Memory Of...”