Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft - Good or Bad?

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
hexualfrustration

Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft - Good or Bad?

Post by hexualfrustration »

Just getting started here and picked up a copy of Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (Llewellyn's Practical Magick). Is this a good book to introduce one to witchcraft? Is there a better source out there I should be using?

Thanks in advance.
TwilightDancer

Re: Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft - Good or Bad?

Post by TwilightDancer »

It's a really great book.

One of the first books I read on witchcraft. I really liked that it was workbook style. I'd highly recommend it. It covers a great deal of information.

Hope that helps. :fairy:

When you have a moment, hop on over to the intro section so we can welcome you properly.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Big Blue has stood the test of time as an introductory resource. No single book can possibly cover everything, and you don't have to agree with every thought it contains. I've had mine over 30 years and still refer to it, though I'm eclectic more than Wiccan.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

There's better intro books out there and it's a bit dated. Also, it is more for groups.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
moonlightsonata

Post by moonlightsonata »

I'm reading it now for the first time as part of my pagan book club. So far, I really like it. I think the workbook format makes it good for someone starting out.
Daughter of Hecate and the Morrigan
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

A bit stiff and slightly dated {30 - 35 years if I recall}, it none the less is a good reference for someone just starting out who doesn't have the support of experienced Coven members or a teacher in their close personal environment. As I remember, it was a good read when it came out and I recommended it to a couple people that I had meet who were looking to understand the Craft.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The book gives the foundations which haven't changed over time. Obviously when we apply the basics to our personal practices, we are free to adapt and take liberties to adjust the fit. Otherwise it wouldn't be any fun. :D
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I've read a lot of books about witchcraft and magick over the years and I can't really say there is a bad one, although most should be taken with spoons of salt. I have learned from each and every one, even if it is to not believe everything you read ;)

But I like Buckland, It's a great beginner's guide. I would also recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" by Denise Zimmerman and Katherine Gleason.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Another useful book is Raven Grimassi's "Wiccan Mysteries" which tells about the beliefs and practices, and why they are used.
Ròcas Cearcall

Post by Ròcas Cearcall »

There is a ton of information in it, and if you work through it as a workbook, you get a really good wide-ranging understanding of witchcraft. It covers a lot very quickly. The downside for me was that much of it is coven-based and I am solitary. I enjoyed it though. I think it was the second or third book I read after Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner and Ellen Cannon Reed's Heart of Wicca.

Cunningham's book was a bit easier to digest, but I got a lot out of big blue. It inspired me to further explore some of the topics that it could only give a chapter to.
Darkest Auldearn

Post by Darkest Auldearn »

Lots of agreeable comments here, but let me put it like this:

There are no better books out there if you want an actual grimoire to introduce you to Witchcraft; certainly none that I've found. If you take a year out of your life to work through 'big blue' as instructed, I can guarantee you'll be a better equipped witch or warlock than 90% of people who claim the title.

Return to “Book Reviews”