Is there any wicca books you can recommend me?

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
CatXO

Is there any wicca books you can recommend me?

Post by CatXO »

I am new to wicca, I want to learn more about its practices etc. I was just wondering if there are any recommended books about it. Thanks and blessed be :D
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Is there any wicca books you can recommend me?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Not specifically Wicca but I recommend The complete illustrated encyclopedia of witchcraft and practical magic by Greenwood and Airey.

While, also not Wicca, it has the same base; Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson.

Aradia: Gospel of Witches is standard fare for those looking into Wicca since it has influenced everything.

Gardner has a few books like High Magic's aid, but his history is off because it is outdated. His book of shadows is free online.

For a sanitized but good beginner book on Wicca, check out Scott Cummingham Wicca: a guide for the solitary practioner.

His book is actually Neo-Wicca and most "Wicca" books are, especially published by Lellewyn. Wicca is intiationary and oath bound. But I think it's good for seekers to start out in Neo-Wicca and outer court material. (It is also good to be careful of people who say real witches do this and that. A real witch simply practices witchcraft and witchcraft is not synonymous with Wicca. Though Gardner started it, he was wrong.)

Oh, and I forgot Raymond Buckland's complete book of witchcraft is also good for those seeking Wicca.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Siona

Post by Siona »

Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice, by Thea Sabin, is a very good book for those starting out.

The Rebirth of Witchcraft, by Doreen Valiente, gives a nice history of Wicca, it's creation by Gardner, what influenced it, and of the other witchcraft traditions of the time.
CatXO

Post by CatXO »

I'll bookmark this and ask someone if its good sources. Thanks so much. You guys are amazing. I think Wicca saved me, because it's a path I feel I need in life from my past religious psychological issues I have had with abrahamic ones that I used to serve.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I am going to check out what you recommended too, Siona. I have been meaning to read Valiente and Gardner.

CatXO wrote:I'll bookmark this and ask someone if its good sources. Thanks so much. You guys are amazing. I think Wicca saved me, because it's a path I feel I need in life from my past religious psychological issues I have had with abrahamic ones that I used to serve.
Same here. It saved me more than once. I had issues with Christianity since I was young and questioned a lot. When I came to Wicca is made sense. Then I strayed for awhile and dabbled in paths I should not have, only to come back around to Wicca again. I feel a lot more stable now.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

Anything by Scott Cunningham is great!
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I have a hard time finding books on Wicca that resonate with me. I would suggest going to your local Barns n Noble, getting yourself a venti latte, find a bunch of pagan related books that seem interesting, then thumb through them at a table while enjoying your coffee. It will give you some time to see what really speaks to you :)
Personally, I really like Wicca: A year and a day. I use it as a reference point for many things.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
CatXO

Post by CatXO »

I borrowed a book from Library written by "Geir Uldal" and "Geir Winje" called "Hekser og healere" or in english it would be "Witches and healers". It talks about the history of how it came to be, Aleister Crowley just to mention some examples. Although he didn't started it but was highly influencial.

Just curious if you would recommend the book. I am on page 20 etc. So far i like reading it. There's another book about wicca but it is currently borrowed out that i plan to read soon when i get the message that it is available.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

...and
Elemental Witch by Tammy Sullivan
The Way of Four by Deborah Lipp
The Grandmother of Time by Z. Budapest
are but a few...
I tend to read those that are not the
"in", I think I get more out of those
then I would the "normal" ones ???
but that's just me :wink2:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
The_Reclining_Reader

Post by The_Reclining_Reader »

I'll always recommend Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland. It's by no means in-depth, but should give you a good base understanding of a lot of the basics.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Gardner's oath bound BOS is free, on-line...isnt that amazing? I wonder how he would feel about that? And yeh, I've got a copy too. Gads, I can remember when I heard his death announced on the radio, in '64.

But, back to the topic, i'd like to suggest Ann Moura's "Green Witchcraft" series. Check them out, they give support to the practice. Most of us are solitary and not coven-trained, so we don't get much support.

“Paganism “ by Joyce & River Higginbotham
https://victoriabarnesicy.files.wordpre ... botham.pdf

And Gutenberg.org
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/bookshelf/132
Last edited by Firebird on Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: c&p links here in this thread from deleted post on different thread

Return to “Book Reviews”