Any Good books for Gods and Goddesses?

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
WaterMoon

Any Good books for Gods and Goddesses?

Post by WaterMoon »

Hello all.

I've decided to check out some books for some fun reading. I recently checked out 2 books both where mythology books, one being Ancient Eyptian and the other Greek. Both these books were intended for children, but I wanted to get a feel for it before I invested in getting a longer book. I was super excited to get the Greek mythology one, however... There wasn't any stories about Hecate. Does anyone have any suggestions for books on Hecate?

I also checked out another mythology book from the same author/series on Norse gods and goddesses. I am open to any other suggestions on any types of mythology on what I can possibly look for at my library.

Thanks,

WaterMoon.
Siona

Re: Any Good books for Gods and Goddesses?

Post by Siona »

You're probably not going to find these at your library, but there are a few books on Hekate written by modern pagans which I enjoy...
Bearing Torches: A Devotional Anthology for Hekate. Bibliotheca Alexandrina on Amazon has tons of devotionals for Greek and other deities.
Hekate Liminal Rites

You might find Hekate Soteira (Sarah Iles Johnston) at your library, which is also another good read, and deals with Hekate as she appears in the Chaldean Oracles, in her role of Soteira - Savior.
Your library might also have Greek Folk Religion (Martin P. Nilsson), which is not specific to Hekate, but does have some information on her, and is a pretty interesting read all around.

There's also www.theoi.com, not a book, but they have tons and tons of historical information on the Greek pantheon.

If you want to dig a bit more into specific Egyptian deities, you could look for Osiris: Death and Afterlife of a God (Bojana Mojsov), and The Great Goddesses of Egypt (Barbara S Lesko) which looks specifically at Nut, Neith, Nekhbet, Wadjet, Hathor, Mut, and Isis.

An Introduction to Ancient Mesopotamian Religion (Tammi Schneider) and a shorter book, but covers the basics of the pantheon and religion.

Another you might not find at the library, but a pretty interesting read, is Deep Ancestors (Ceisiwr Serith), which deals with the religion of the Proto-Indo-Europeans. Really, in my opinion, anything you might be able to dig up about them in your library might be worth a look, as these are forerunners to most 'popular' pagan pantheons. Greek, Roman, Norse, Celtic, Slavic, Hindu... there's a lot of deities and myths which got their start with these folks.

Return to “Book Reviews”