I need book suggestions

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
onyx208

I need book suggestions

Post by onyx208 »

I'm looking for a solid witchy book to read and hold on to in this rough time. I have a lot of books for specific things ie astrology, moon magic, candle burning rituals, goddesses, etc. I'm wanting a book that envelops Wicca as a whole. A good read cover to cover, but also good for referring back to. My specific interests also include divination, so a good book title on oracle/tarot reading would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need book suggestions

Post by Firebird »

some of the best books in print are here
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24482.html
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
The_Reclining_Reader

Post by The_Reclining_Reader »

For Tarot, I have to recommend The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley. It's dense, and sometimes difficult to understand, but I find that I learn something new every time I read it.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot
onyx208

Post by onyx208 »

Thank you! I'll look it up.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Personal opinion, the Book of Thoth really is dense and I could never wrap my head around it. Others must have more mental discipline than I do when it comes to that kind of thing.

I'm currently reading through a book called The Great Work, it's pretty much a in-depth journey of practices, ideas, deities, self-healing and meditative guides, that follows the wheel of the year. So far it's interesting. I can let you know what my end opinion of it is if you want? Otherwise here is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Work-Self-K ... great+work

Is your budget an issue? And/or do you have a kindle or are willing to read ebooks via your computer? There are a few other resources that amazon has for free. If you're interested, I can try to dig them out for you. :)
Syroak

Post by Syroak »

I would suggest looking into books by Starhawk, who's a very famous writer on modern spellcraft. I'm currently reading her book Spiral Dance, and it's full of exercises, information, and general reading on aspects of the craft. It's quite beautiful, and has a number of insights on goddess spirituality.

Two other books I've found really thorough are The Real Witches' Craft, and The Real Witches' Handbook by Kate West. Big books full of spells, witchy readings, practise and ideas.

Blessed be :)
onyx208

Post by onyx208 »

Vesca wrote:
I'm currently reading through a book called The Great Work, it's pretty much a in-depth journey of practices, ideas, deities, self-healing and meditative guides, that follows the wheel of the year. So far it's interesting. I can let you know what my end opinion of it is if you want? Otherwise here is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Work-Self-K ... great+work
Ooh thanks I like the look of that one!
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

The_Reclining_Reader

Post by The_Reclining_Reader »

Vesca wrote:Personal opinion, the Book of Thoth really is dense and I could never wrap my head around it. Others must have more mental discipline than I do when it comes to that kind of thing.
Believe me, I completely understand. There are still large chunks I don't completely understand, but it got my studies going in a new direction.

Anyway, I forgot a good all around Wicca book for you. While I have small quibbles with it Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is still one of the best you can ask for. Biggest quibble: it's not complete. But the title was probably a marketing thing.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I'm glad it's not just me who found it hard to understand. ^^
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

onyx208 wrote:I'm wanting a book that envelops Wicca as a whole. A good read cover to cover, but also good for referring back to.

Hi onyx208,

If you're interested in some 'heavy' reading on the structure of the universe (encompassing Wicca as a whole), i would recommend The Mysticism of Sound and Music by Hazrat Inayat Khan.

It is a book which continues to influence my development :cool:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Raven Grimassi's "Hereditary Witchcraft, Secrets of the Old Religion" gives a sound background to understand where Wicca came from, and that it was not invented by Gerald Gardner, but has roots. He covers the roots, the myths, the rituals, symbols, structure, some famous modern crafters, and spells. :flyingwitch:

Return to “Book Reviews”