Growing Up Psychic : Review in Process

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Sakura Blossom

Growing Up Psychic : Review in Process

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Growing Up Psychic : My Story of Not Just Surviving but Thriving - and How Others Like Me Can, Too by Chip Coffey

I just had to put this here, because I'm sure I'll forget to make an actual review when the time comes, so I'm just going to put what I think so far, so I don't forget. (:

I was told to read this book by someone who is currently helping me with my own abilities, as they thought it would speak to me. They said that I didn't have to agree with everything in the book, and I don't (though I honestly do agree with almost everything else than the little thing I disagreed with).

I just have to say, this book is a lot different than I was expecting. I had reservations because I'm not always huge on the widely known psychics on TV and I remember watching his show Psychic Kids and disagreeing with his method of just throwing them in the rooms with things they were scared of.

But I have to say... It's really, really good so far and actually making me want to read! I'm not an avid reader, and if I do read, it's Shakespeare or something classic, but this has captivated my attention thoroughly. I love it! It's totally how I was as a child, and reading through all of his explanations of what can happen to children if you aren't helped at a young age with your abilities and what would happen if you were, as well as why he does things he does for the show. I now understand why he did it, and actually agree!

He talks about his own experiences, and how it was for him, and also does a really good job with telling parents how to handle children who show abilities like this.

One of the things I really liked, was his stressing that you should still have your child checked out for mental health conditions that could be underlying, while still stressing the importance to the therapist/psychologist/etc. that you believe they might be having psychic experiences, but just want to eliminate any kind of possibility, and if that therapist doesn't agree, then leave and find another. Coming from my own psychology stand point, it's always good to make sure there isn't something else going on because I've seen it go both ways myself. 9 out of 10 times the child/individual is really psychic, but you just have to make sure everything is alright.

While this book is really aimed towards the parents of children who are psychic, coming from an adult mindset now and being able to look back on my past, it's really helping me see some things that I hadn't ever thought of before. I'm just about to reach the part now about how to control and work with your abilities. So here's to hoping it's as good as the beginning parts!

Reading about the fears is really speaking to me now, as well, because they are all fears I have. Such as being wrong. He speaks of a very important idea, and that is to say everything to someone you are giving messages to, because something you hear/see/feel might mean something to them if it doesn't mean anything to you. I've had this happen myself, when giving a reading to another, and I held my tongue. Come to find out that it's something I should have said.

His interlude stories are pretty entertaining too. (: I'd definitely recommend reading it, if you were a child who grew up psychic.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Epithymia

Re: Growing Up Psychic : Review in Process

Post by Epithymia »

Thank you for the review , I was toying with the notion of perhaps reading this book a while back. I had some reservations also about it due to my skepticism towards many of the famous "psychics" . I have often wondered how to over come the fear of telling people everything I see/feel due to the fact I may be completely wrong. I also worried I was the only one that felt this fear and it was not normal for true psychics to ever feel unsure of themselves as much as I have/do. Again thank you , I am going to give this book a try after I have finished a few others.
Sakura Blossom

Re: Growing Up Psychic : Review in Process

Post by Sakura Blossom »

No problem! And yes, I was hesitant about him, but he knows his stuff. (: And all of this really speaks to me given the fact that I grew up in this way. Haha.

I hope you can read it! It was really good. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!

Return to “Book Reviews”