REVIEW: Divination for Beginners, by Scott Cunningham

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEW: Divination for Beginners, by Scott Cunningham

Post by Xiao Rong »

Divination for Beginners: Reading the Past, Present, and Future, by Scott Cunningham.
Published in 2003 by Llewellyn Publications.

[Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion. I am open to discussing this book further in this thread. Disagreement is totally welcome!]

About The Book

This book is divided into the following sections:
- An introduction about divination in general (a quick history of divination in ancient times, divination ethics, symbolic thought, and a discussion of the nature of time)
- Beginner Divination Techniques (using techniques such as water, the moon, lots, candles, etc.)
- Advanced Divination Techniques (including a VERY brief introduction to Tarot, the I-Ching, and Palmistry)
- A glossary of divination techniques

Thoughts

I thought that his introduction section was overall really good. I was especially impressed by his section on divination ethics, reasons why divination fails, and how to develop "symbolic thought". He has some pretty great common-sense wisdom, such as advising the reader not to rely too much on dream dictionaries or symbol associations and instead analyzing symbols based on what they mean to you. (I thought it was nice of him to try to talk about the nature of time, but I didn't actually care for the conceptual model of time he ends up with) And I am starting to really appreciate Cunningham's very straightforward, concise prose.

His actual discussion of divination techniques was somewhat less useful. (I may be somewhat biased since I prefer symbolic divination like runes that delve into the psyche, over simple yes-no techniques) While the sheer number of techniques is impressive, and many of them are pretty cute (for example, I was rather entertained by the suggestion that you place three onions - corresponding to yes, no, and maybe - in a dark corner and whichever sprouts first is your answer). But I think it's also proof that pretty much any randomized system, with some measure of intent, can give you a yes or no answer that you can choose to believe is a magical answer (yes, the skeptic in me is showing through). Which is why he literally includes flipping a coin as a divination technique, which was somewhat underwhelming for me. And his bit about Tarot, the I-Ching, and palmistry are a little too brief to be interesting.

The Verdict

It was a fun read, but I only think the first third was really useful.

2.5 out of 5 stars
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Book Reviews”