REVIEW: Holland's Spells for the Solitary Witch

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Heartsong

REVIEW: Holland's Spells for the Solitary Witch

Post by Heartsong »

Spells for the Solitary Witch by Eileen Holland

This is a great resource for any witch at any stage of her path. While her main audience are those who are on a solitary path, covens can also easily use her book. Holland’s spells range from complex to unbelievably simple, but in my experience with them, they have all proven to be effective. I thoroughly enjoyed the range of spells, rituals, and correspondences. Holland not only provides a how-to for many spells, but also recipes, tea potions, candle garden suggestions, and glossaries. Divided into sections, everything has been presented in a flowing, easy to follow style of writing. Holland’s voice is instructive, but kind, covering as much material as possible in order to make the spells she provides as easy to understand and Craft for anyone that happened to pick up the volume. Holland also leaves plenty of room so that you can adapt her spells to suit your own personal tastes and needs. She often reiterates that personal correspondences tend to be more powerful than those more traditional, therefore giving her readers the ability to use her recipes more as a template that can be adjusted and therefore become familiar and comfortable.

Perhaps my biggest qualm with the text is that there is no easy reference in it to navigate through the sections. If you’re looking for a particular spell or ritual, you have to thumb through an entire section in order to find it. There are no page references, no table of contents, so to even find the section, you have to flip through. Granted, the book isn’t that large, but I would much rather be able to look up what I’m looking for than spend ten minutes hunting for one spell. I would suggest tabbing and marking heavily throughout the text so that you can more easily search through it.

Overall, I would give it a 4.8 out of 5. This is a marvelous resource that I highly recommend! :flyingwitch:
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone

Return to “Book Reviews”