REVIEW: Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire & Water

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Heartsong

REVIEW: Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire & Water

Post by Heartsong »

Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic by Scott Cunningham

This book is an excellent reference for those not only interested in forging a deeper connection with the elements, but also in working with them in spell craft. Cunningham brings together many of his own spells in an easy to use, thoughtful manner, creating a work that is as engaging as it is informative.

This is not a 101 text, per se, but it is structured in such a way that it’s “use friendly” to any practitioner at any stage of their path. One of the things I like the most about the volume is that the books is separated into distinct sections, allowing for swift navigation say, when you’re looking for a specific spell during a ritual. I also like how Cunningham branches out from just the four elements into subcategories, such as magnets, stones, ice, snow, and candles, as well as offering methods to interact with them. He has a guide section, which helps you create your own rituals and spells for connecting and working with the elements, along with helpful references and correspondences. At the very back of the text is a list of occult suppliers, as well as what always makes a book a legitimate source: a Bibliography! :flyingwitch:

My sole disappointment with the volume is that it’s so small. There are a handful of spells and rituals in each section, and I very much would have liked to have seen a more comprehensive and in-depth exploration of working with elemental magic. What is included in the book is very instructive and spelled out in detail, so that leaves little room for adaption or interpretation. However, I believe that you could easily substitute his wording for your own when working, so you could borrow just what you need from his spells. While I enjoy Cunningham as an author, I’m not found of his flair for what I think of as dramatic chants and rhymes. They lack a sense of poetry for me, having more of a theatrical feel to them. Of course, that may appeal to others, and that’s perfectly fine.

It’s certainly possible with this text to not even use any of the spells he provides, but instead merely peruse them to get a sense of the spirit with which he worked with the elements. At least then you can gain some insight if you’re curious or preparing yourself to perform actual Crafting.

Overall, I would give this a 4.0 out of 5. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Klia

Re: REVIEW: Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire & Water

Post by Klia »

Thanks doll. I found a free copy online from a forum on here actually. I plan to read it on my kindle.
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Your welcome! ^_^
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Klia, could you link to me where you found it? I want to read it too now!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Book Reviews”