REVIEW: Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Heartsong

REVIEW: Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura

Post by Heartsong »

Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Faery Lore & Herb Craft
by Ann Moura

I'm going to start this review by saying that I really, really enjoyed this book, the first of three that Ann Moura has published on the subject of Green Witchcraft. It touched on many ideas and aspects of the Craft that I find fascinating. :fairy:

What was Excellent

This book is one that I would highly recommend for anyone at any point in their spiritual journey or exploration of the Craft. Moura not only relates her personal experiences in becoming what she calls a Green Witch, but also provides extensive lists of herbal remedies, personal spells, rituals that can easily personalized, fariy lore, charms, the list is wonderfully rich and varied. She painstakingly chronicles the journey of herself, her mother, and her grandmother as they strove to both fit into society's molds and hold tight to the beliefs that they held to be true. In an amazing blend of personal testimony and practical advice, Moura has created a book that I would say belongs on every Pagan's shelf right alongside Buckland.

While I doubt everyone will recieve the book with my enthusiasm, I do think that anyone from any path can find something useful or pertinent to their own journey in this volume. Moura's tone is open-minded and sincere, and the information she gives is comprehensive and relevant to many questions I've seen other post on the forum, questions ranging from correspondences to "how do I make/cast...?" to poignant observations about what it means to be a Witch in our modern world. Her style is very easy to read and engaging, making this book one of the hardest I have ever had to put down. (To be totally honest, I read it twice before posting this review. :P)

As hardpressed as I am to find a fault in this volume, I give it an overall rating of 5 out of 5! smiley_dance
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
AnaisStar

Re: REVIEW: Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura

Post by AnaisStar »

Thanks for your review. I just started this and its not at all what I was expecting so far. Im enjoying it but right now it seems really heavy on the history of the Craft and relation to other paths/religions. I was expecting that. Im eager to get to the part where there is more talk about practice/herbs/spells etc.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I have started this book over and over again but never been able to finish it. Maybe I can now that you have expressed how much folklore there is in the book. my practice has become more geared towards folklore and folk magic than ceremonial and modern magical practices.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

loona wynd wrote:I have started this book over and over again but never been able to finish it. Maybe I can now that you have expressed how much folklore there is in the book. my practice has become more geared towards folklore and folk magic than ceremonial and modern magical practices.
Loona I was the SAME way. I tried three times to read it and just couldnt get into. But Im forcing myself to read all these books Ive been sitting on this year.

I do find it an interesting book. I was hoping to have more info on the green path (since this is the path I walk) but I felt like she just talked about Wicca, or related so much stuff back to Wicca. It was just too much Wicca for me really.

It just wasnt the book that I thought it would be, or was hoping for. But over all it was an interesting read. I just wouldnt read it again, or really refer to it.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:
loona wynd wrote:I have started this book over and over again but never been able to finish it. Maybe I can now that you have expressed how much folklore there is in the book. my practice has become more geared towards folklore and folk magic than ceremonial and modern magical practices.
Loona I was the SAME way. I tried three times to read it and just couldnt get into. But Im forcing myself to read all these books Ive been sitting on this year.

I do find it an interesting book. I was hoping to have more info on the green path (since this is the path I walk) but I felt like she just talked about Wicca, or related so much stuff back to Wicca. It was just too much Wicca for me really.

It just wasnt the book that I thought it would be, or was hoping for. But over all it was an interesting read. I just wouldnt read it again, or really refer to it.
Its a series that started with Green Magic under a different name (eventually published with her name). I dont know how many books are in the series now. But yeah that was my impression to. I did like the personal stories, which is what told me it was really a family tradition she learned and was passing on to others but I can also see that modern wicca really influenced her in that book. Maybe its different in books 2 &3
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I didnt know it was a series. Ill have to find the others.

I really did love the personal stories about her mother and grandmother too. It was very endearing.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:I didnt know it was a series. Ill have to find the others.

I really did love the personal stories about her mother and grandmother too. It was very endearing.
The two others aside from the Tarot and the Grimoire are Green Witchcraft 2 and Green witchcraft 3. The Green Magic book might be under the name Aoumiel though most current editions have Ann Moura (Aoumiel)
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

loona wynd wrote:
AnaisStar wrote:I didnt know it was a series. Ill have to find the others.

The two others aside from the Tarot and the Grimoire are Green Witchcraft 2 and Green witchcraft 3. The Green Magic book might be under the name Aoumiel though most current editions have Ann Moura (Aoumiel)
Ok thanks. Ill look for them.

Return to “Book Reviews”