The Deck of 1000 Spreads: Your Tarot Toolkit...

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Alura Noel

The Deck of 1000 Spreads: Your Tarot Toolkit...

Post by Alura Noel »

'

The Deck of 1000 Spreads: Your Tarot Toolkit for Creating the Perfect Spread for Any Situation by Tierney Sadler

For more Reviews on these Cards and book

About the deck/book:
It’s a deck of 59 color-coded cards (with 6 customizable category cards, so in total 65 cards) that’s labeled with a spread position and a description of how the cards can be read. The benefit you get out of these cards is that you can create custom spreads for any question or situation you want insight about. Also, there's no more referencing the book or chart about which position means what (allowing you to focus more on the reading and so you don’t forget what the position means). If you’re doing readings for someone else the querent also has more understanding since it’s labeled. The author says that you can divine with the deck in much the same way as a tarot deck.

You can use the deck for book writing and character development, personal growth and development, oracle cards, runes, and other tools too.

The Book Contents:
1: Getting a feel for how spreads work
2: Getting to know your Spread cards
3: Retooling and Revisioning Classic Spreads
4: Creating Original Spreads
5: Combing Divination and Spreadcrafting
6: Having fun with traditional spreads
7: Inspired Spreads

It makes it easier to understand how to build your own tarot spread. The way the deck is set up (especially with the color-coding) makes it just about foolproof. It goes over about many of the basic questions someone would have when it comes to making a custom spread from how many cards to use in a spread to where you should place them.

What I got out of the deck:

The deck is very easy to use. It allows for customization of spreads for very specific situations. And even if there isn’t a card for your specific situation it offers blank ones to use. It suggests using a sticky note to write on and stick it to the blank card. Personally, I probably will end up laminating the blank ones so I can use a dry erase marker to make it easier. The only thing that it didn’t resolve for me was to remember the order of the cards you read them in. I probably will be using small sticky notes to number them for the spread or maybe laminating all of them so I can use the dry erase marker to number them and allow for easy clean up.

Regarding the card stock of the cards... I wish they were thicker. They are kinda thin and I'm worried that I will bend them on accident or nick them. So that's a down side for me but it's probably not that important since they are more of placeholders (not meant for shuffling like tarot cards) for the tarot cards. Also, I think if I find myself using a phrase that isnt included in the deck I'd make my own card to include with the deck.

What I got out of the book:
I felt like the beginning of the book was kinda like reading an ad of a miracle product that fixes everything (it made me picture vendors at a mall trying to pester me to try their stuff when I don’t wanna). Personally, that annoyed me a little bit but the book pretty much addresses everything that you would need to know to make your own spread or to alter existing ones.

The author describes the concepts in a way that makes it easy to develop your own ideas. She also provided spreads in the end that were a springboard to create or alter classic spreads. Even if you use just 1 or two cards spreads she gives ideas of how to use these cards.

Probably the best thing that I like about this whole concept is that it can take your tarot reading to new levels. A lot of the things she suggested in the book I haven't thought of (I'd say I am between intermediate to advanced use of tarot).

Personally, I think this is more geared to intermediate to advanced tarot users. At least someone who has some working knowledge of tarot because this could get overwhelming or confusing for someone just starting out possibly.

I’d give this a 5 out of 5. So glad I bought this!

About laminating the cards, I think it would be okay but double check to make sure that they can be. Maybe the finish on the cards could mess up that process? Maybe just sticking to mini sticky notes to mark the order for them to be read at (regarding where they are placed in the spread) would be a safer option.

'

Return to “Book Reviews”