Suggestions?

Share photos of your altars or other magical tools and pagan decor.
EveningWithAstaroth

Suggestions?

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

This is my altar set up now for the time being. It is to be a work in progress.

I have the colors Blue and Red to represent the God/Goddess Male/Female aspect.

Wondering if anyone has any further suggestions? Especially in regards to tools?

The altar has been used to prepare a homemade holy water for tool cleansing.

It gave me an opportunity to try out my natural mortar and pestle tools which consist of the flat stone as the mortar and the big round rock as a pestle. I am quite surprised at how well they have worked in so far.

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Suggestions?

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm going to reply like if this was mine...and what id do. When I'm setting one up, my eye has to flow and if my gaze bumps into discord, and the eye stops, it halts the flow. Higher items to the back, lower ones graduating in front. Colors like red grab the eye.

Is the gray thing an electric water font? I'd get an extension cord and move it to the back-left. I associate water with the goddess/left side. That tall red vase really pops so I'd show-case it, center back, with the red goddess and blue god candles on either side in front of it. Then make a semi circle of small Knick-knack items around the back of the vase. By grouping them they become one item and reduce randomness.

Personally, I need an open space to work in so I'd remove from my line of sight anything that isn't being actually used, to give more room. Set stuff under the table. I think that's just a box on the right, behind the pretty hurricane lamp? Love the red and blue glass pebbles, by the way.I'd move that pewter lamp to the back-right to offset the fountain. Maybe add some glass pebbles to the fountain ledge so the two gray items also share color splashes.

I like natural, found items. The M&P is Niiice. As an earthy item it might be in the dead center to ground the altar energy. The stone mortar can be used like a cauldron or a pentagram patan to charge magical items, as well as for grinding. Incense holders ... Hmm. I'm right handed and so it would be easier for me to use them if they were on the right. I dislike crisscross crossing while working.

I'm not sure what sort of suggestions you're looking for in tools. Depends on what you do. Only add what you'll actually use as you need 'em. A bowl or cup for libation offerings can come in handy. Or use an empty candle cup. I've sipped from a candle cup a time or two. Sometimes scissors are much more useful than a blade, and more reasonable to possess. They will direct etheric energy & cut it too, same as a blade. So, if you know what the need is, find the gizmo that works and fits. Avoid excess clutter so the chi (energy) can flow.
EveningWithAstaroth

Hi SpiritTalker,

Thank you very much for the response.

Yes I have seen the very beautifully done altars here in this section, and I noticed my own wasn't quite as clear for space. It has been a very long time since I practiced Wicca so in a sense it is like starting all over again. Your response is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

That said I did take some of your suggestions. The results in so far:

I moved the fountain to the back left, no extension cord needed will only need to unplug the tv when fountain is in use, I don't run them together anyway. I also moved the hurricane lantern back to the right. I think the biggest difference was to place the assortment of sea shells into the small red candle holder on the left for now. I removed two items. The silver and clear candle holder and the garden sun dial with the Sun and Moon on it. A bit bulky and more in the way than anything else at the moment. I moved the mortar and pestle and cleared a bit of space. For now it is the best I can accomplish, if I think of any other ways to clear it I will utilize them.

Also some things on the altar currently placed are there temporarily. The black medicine bag on the left by the red candle holder and the Crow feather are there temporarily. They belong on my homemade talking stick, I had the feather there after spraying with sealer to dry. So those things will be returned to my talking stick when I am finished with their care.

And the square is not a box but a scented wax warmer I had bought for aroma. But the sentiment is the same. :) The red candle holder is fine for a temporary shell holder. The blue incense box in the back is currently empty as well.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, let me know if you have any other ideas, it has been very helpful.

To end a photo of my small devotional altar- the reason why there is so much red and blue across the spectrum is because it has been an on-going color preference for me for months. It seems I currently am resonating with those particular colors.

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Red and blue are a good balance of Water and Fire.
EveningWithAstaroth

Hi.

I can not believe I did not think of that before Fire and Water, Red and Blue. Of course! :)

The altar top is a lot clearer now, there is more working space, I worked on it in the wee morning hours last night.
I also re-arranged some things and moved the television and put in its place instead a Gratitude/Prayer/Storage altar box, which consists of a knick knack cabinet which I have converted for supply storage and placed some candle holders and tea-light candles for a makeshift prayer box. To light candles while in prayer for others.

So here is that:

MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Love your tall candle holders !
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “Altar Pictures”