Need Ideas

Share photos of your altars or other magical tools and pagan decor.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Need Ideas

Post by SnowCat »

I'm in need of ideas for an outdoor altar. It will be under an ash tree, and will be dedicated to an eclectic mix of deities and nature spirits. I currently have ties to Loki, Bast, Sekhmet, Anubis, and the Fae. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
blue_moon

Re: Need Ideas

Post by blue_moon »

I'm the more minimalistic person... I'd place stones underneath the tree or hang a chime/charm into a lower branch. Or both - depending on the tree.
BB

Blue Moon
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I'd find a nice bowl or bowl-like rock to hold liquids in it.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hmm. Plant a "spiritual garden" maybe, a garden of plants relating to each god (one per god, because you know how entitled they get to feeling when you give them too much of something; so I'd advise keeping it fair, as with kids, "OK everybody, one plant per person, so what do you really, really want in our garden?...make it meaningful now, because you ain't getting another plant, and if you don't do your part to help sustain it, and it dies, you'll just have to settle for a nice plaque in its place, 'cause I ain't plantin' another one..."). :wink:

But, seriously though, it might grow to be quite beautiful over the years, the different plants/gods would have to get used to co-existing with each other, even if they instrinsically don't like each other (something I wish human beings could learn to do right about now, haha).

I could see the plants blooming at different times, for instance, so you'd always have something life-affirming and interesting going on in the garden. And other plants wouldn't necessarily "bloom" at all, 'cause that's just not their bag (like with some evergreen species, for example), but they could be appreciated in other ways.

At each plant you could conduct different pujas, depending upon what month in the year it is, or what phase of the moon, of what your needs are in your life at the moment, of the specifics of the god's worship symbologies. You'd never get bored, yet you'd need not feel like you're all over the place with your worship (as polytheism could sometimes feel to even the most disciplined polytheist --gee, where'd that come from? sounds like a latenight, info-mercial for pagans, haha).

You could talk to each one about different issues, depending on their areas of specialty (example: "Hmm, this would be a good issue to present to Bast; better go spend some time in that part of the garden, have a little pow wow with her and sort this out....").

The possibilities are endless! [thinks to self..."hmm, why don't I just do something like this?" :roll: ] I actually did do something like this a few years ago, except I named each plant in my indoor herb garden after a real character in my life, rather than a god. Everybody significant in my life had an herb plant named after them. It gave me no end of amusement...."Oh, there goes Steve again. He's looking kind of droopy this week, must be having a problem..." It was hilarious because I'd find out later that the plant's problems really did correlate with issues the person it was named after was really experiencing, I kid you not! I actually learned how to do (psychic) readings that way, believe it or not. It was weird. People, at times...are like plants. Go figure.

OK, I'm done. :lol:

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I would add a stone mortar if you can find one. Even better if you can find a natural one - a stone with a hole in it to serve as a mortar or an offering bowl.
I love Kass' idea of a garden! You can also add stones to represent each God by the plants. (I'm already imagining something like a flowery Stonehenge hehe )
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

YanaKhan wrote:(I'm already imagining something like a flowery Stonehenge hehe )
I got chills when I read that one.

evil ed

Post by evil ed »

I would recommend avoiding any iron or steel. The early Egyptians had very little of it, and the Fae don't like it! If you need metal, use copper if at all possible. At the base of the tree I would plant/bury a pretty stone- it can be one that is cut and or polished, or rough, as long as it is pretty. I believe the Fae pick up on the energy of the intent more than the stone itself.

Just my $0.02
E.E.
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

So, after reading the ideas, I'm thinking of a retaining walled garden, that would extend around both the ash tree and the honey locust tree. I can build the retaining wall a few pieces at a time, since the pieces are a bit heavy, plus I have to buy them. I can hang wind chimes in the trees, non-iron, then, when I have my space prepared, I can fill it with soil and add plants and stones. It will also serve as a memorial garden for LeStat, Sam, and Bentley.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Sounds lovely, SnowCat.

SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I have to include Freya too. When I was driving back from Colorado Springs tonight, I was having a difficult time on the snow packed icy road full of curves. I asked for help, and next thing I knew, I had two large cats pacing my car. Large, as in almost as big as the car. They stayed with me until I got back to civilization.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Siona

Post by Siona »

blue_moon wrote:I'm the more minimalistic person... I'd place stones underneath the tree
This is my go-to for outdoor shrines, but I guess it also depends on what one wants to do at their shrine. I tend to just make libations and meditate by the outdoor shrine, so a pile of stones works well for me. I do also have a large flat rock under one special tree, which acts as an altar table, for when I want to anything a bit more elaborate.

I have also always loved the idea of a sacred garden. Looking forward to the day when I can keep one. :)
Lux

Post by Lux »

SnowCat wrote:I'm in need of ideas for an outdoor altar. It will be under an ash tree, and will be dedicated to an eclectic mix of deities and nature spirits. I currently have ties to Loki, Bast, Sekhmet, Anubis, and the Fae. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Snow
I've got a thing about taking natural things and sprucing them up into altar decor. Like blowing out eggs (when I'm making scrambled eggs or something) and using the shells as decor, or gathering pine cones and tying ribbons around them. Lately I've been gathering avocado stones, not sure what to do with them yet.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

In my neighborhood, I would have racoons eating the eggshells and wearing the ribbons around their tails. I remember when Callie was living on our deck before we coaxed her inside. That little calico kitten terrorized the local racoons.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

My special part of the garden, for spiritual work, has some of my favorite plants, a place to sit for meditation, a windchime, hanging plants, a bird bath and 3 bird feeders. There are several large maple trees, one is a grand old tree whose bark I love to caress - she is a wise old tree. I get a lot of bees and hummingbirds and finches stopping by, along with doves, cardinals and other lovelies. I love going there to sit and just BE in the moment. It is an energizing spot, too. You can't go wrong setting up your outdoor sacred space - just follow your heart.
Myrth

Return to “Altar Pictures”