What is the correct spelling for Goddess Brigid?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
[Enlightenment]

What is the correct spelling for Goddess Brigid?

Post by [Enlightenment] »

Ok so I've seen four different spellings for Goddess Brigid and it's confusing me lol.

Here is what I've seen, can you please tell me which one is correct?

1) Brigit

2) Brigid

3) Bridget

4) Brighid

Thanks guys!
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

probably all of them. when it comes to words from another language with an attempt at conversion into our system there will always be differences, that could be why most spellings in english are based on the sounds the words believed to make. so if the spelling reflects the sound they would almost all be right.

for example
i use Sobek. Alot of other people Sebek(which i dont like lol) and there are other ways this name is spelt, but basically every pronunciation makes the same basic sounds.
[Enlightenment]

In that case then it's a toss up between Brigid and Brigit :D
~Blessings One and All~

Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I could add even more. The joy of Gaelic names! Use what you are comfy with. The community I grew up in uses multiple spellings for her, all correct, depending on whether your roots are Scottic, Eiran, Islander or Gael or lastly, usuing the anglicised version. They're all good,but it is confusing isn't it?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

They are all correct. So is Brid. It just depends on if you care about etymology very much, as in are you trying to stick with a specific tradition/culture/lineage/time frame or whatever.
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: What is the correct spelling for Goddess Brigid?

Post by LaFiamma »

Enlightenment wrote:Ok so I've seen four different spellings for Goddess Brigid and it's confusing me lol.

Here is what I've seen, can you please tell me which one is correct?

1) Brigit

2) Brigid

3) Bridget

4) Brighid

Thanks guys!
There are many....the most common that I have personally encountered is Brigid.
[Enlightenment]

Sercee wrote:They are all correct. So is Brid. It just depends on if you care about etymology very much, as in are you trying to stick with a specific tradition/culture/lineage/time frame or whatever.
No, not really. I was just wondering what the correct spelling was, but as you guys have stated they are probably all correct. I think Brigit works best for me :) The Wiccan spelling would be best lol but I don't think there is one :lol:
~Blessings One and All~

Sercee

Post by Sercee »

No, there really isn't a wiccan spelling. It's too new of a religion, so if there's a spelling particular to your tradition that's what you'd use... I think you're solitary though (I think?) so it's up to you! Yay!
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

yes, solitary is cool, but i think many solitaries would like the option at least of a local coven, personally i doubt i'd join but it would be an experience and a half to check one out and participate in a group ritual or something, lol im getting tingly just thinkin about it lol
[Enlightenment]

Yes, I am Solitary :D
~Blessings One and All~

jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I've even seen it spelled Bride and Breid. BRIE-id I think it's pronounced. But then I spend too much time around recons who have even more spellings to play with. Too me it's a way of saying Her name that sounds too much like cheese.
Use what works. It's what witches do. :-)
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Brigid is what I consider my patron Goddess, and this is the spelling that I use. I was confused at first as well, but that spelling jumped out at me. I guess I just didn't want to "americanize" the name. Just my personal reasoning.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

That's the spelling I prefer as well. It's nice, with a strength to it and feels like a good length (no extra or missing letters! lol)
[Enlightenment]

Yes, Brigid seems like a good choice :D
~Blessings One and All~

Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Round here the most common pronunciation is Breej, soft sound on the end. It's quite a common name, in the West of Scotland and the Isles. The Anglicised version is said as Bridjet [ for spellings- brighid and brigid].The straight forward English spelling is Bridget. Hey ho.I believe you can also use Brigitte, Birgitta and many other versions depending on nationality.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”