Questions of worship

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Kierri

Questions of worship

Post by Kierri »

So I have begun setting up my altar, its been a slow process thus far as I have been researching pagansim, wicca and generally figuring out what I identify with the most.

I have always felt a strong connection to the Goddess Brigid, I can't quite explain what draws me to her but she ignites strong feelings and energies within me so I decided to have her as a figure on my altar.
I've come across a few things online that states a god should also be present on your altar, is this true?

If so, can it be any god? or should it be one of the celtic deities? I've studied gods and goddesses from all over the world and I've never felt pulled to a god so if I am supposed to worship a god as well as a goddess, I would have no idea of where to begin.

Any advice?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Questions of worship

Post by SpiritTalker »

In Wicca symbols of both the Goddess and God are represented on working altars for balance. Sometimes as two candles & sometimes as identifiable presences. Compatible energies are logical and many people choose to cross pantheons with deities of similar energies. Others prefer to maintain one pantheon. Some choose moon and sun as both impact earth. Ultimately an altar reflects the crafter’s personal beliefs.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi :wave:
You are fortunate to be in the British isles where many of Brighde's sacred sites, shrines and wells are. When the current crisis is over I urge you to make pilgrimages' to these places. Over time and with much contemplation and meditation on the matter she may tell you herself if she wishes to be paired with someone.
In my circle she is paired with Lugh, but sometimes I get the feeling she might wish to be with someone else, after all she is a triple Goddess.
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Siona

Post by Siona »

The initiatory Wiccan mysteries focus on a (specific) God and a Goddess pair. But it is not necessary to always work within a God/Goddess pair framework. That will depend on how your personal practice develops. You might decide to start with Brigid, and go from there. As far as 'mixing' pantheons goes, it happened more often than people tend to realize in antiquity. The Egyptian pantheon had Canaanite deities in it, Greeks worshiped Egyptian deities, Romans worshiped Celtic, there are Roman shrines in Celtic lands, etc, etc. Blending pantheons should be done with care, respect, and a fair bit of research, but it's not necessarily strictly taboo. Again, it's up to you and where your path takes you.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”